Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Knoxville, TN, and shopping for a used Insight in a certain price range. I've evaluated the asking and Kelly Blue Book "Good" prices on 63 insights currently for sale in typical cities around the US (which is to say, I avoided the LA and SF listings because of the extra value of these cars there.)

It appears I have three basic choices.

1. High mileage 2002s: 87 - 108k miles

2. Mid mileage 2001s: 73 - 84k miles

3. Low mileage 2000s: 33k - 68k miles

It does not appear that any in my price range have had the battery work done, or if they have, the seller isn't aware of it.

I guess there is one more option:

4. Mid-High mileage 2000s (78k, 92k, 168k) with battery pack replacement known to be done

Which do you think I should pursue, and why?

Regina

·
Administrator
12,292 Posts
My Choice

As the IMA pack is the most expensive component likely to fail it seems sensible to get one in which it has been replaced as recently as possible.

So a non salvage car with the lowest mileage, with a new ima battery in good overall condition for miles and no accident damage would be my choice. Do any of these fit the bill?

IMHO :)

This post gives some further advice.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6839

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True or false, or not quite right?

True or false, or not quite right?

1. "The battery pack is 100% covered for all 2000-2004 Insights sold in the U.S. with normal (non-salvage) titles up to 150,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first."

2. "The regular warranty covers the REST of the car (except for wear and tear items) for XX,000 miles or X years, whichever comes first." (Can you please fill in the blanks? Thanks.)

Why would I want one that has already had the battery replaced? I'm sure you have a reason for suggesting that, but I'm not following. :?

Would I not want to find an Insight that is:
a. in good working order (based on the buyer's guide thread's suggested test drive and diagnostic exam)
b. as new as I can afford
c. with the lowest miles I can afford?

·
Administrator
12,292 Posts
Not quite right.

Sadly I don't know the answers to your point 2, I don't live in the US, you are also extremely lucky with your IMA warranty there.

Here in the UK the warranty is very restricted and only covers upto 8years or 80,000 miles for a very small number of vehicles. :(

We agree on low mileage and good condition of course. :D

My idea with getting a car with the newest battery pack is to avoid the trauma of it failing at all.

As can be evidenced from this site IMA pack failure can be a right royal pain in the *rse, with deteriorating behaviour/performance over many months, strange malfunctions and lowered mpg :( Your US warranty does not kick in until the dreaded IMA light comes on and the appropriate code has been set. It can take some time for this to finally appear. :shock:

Why go through that hassle. Of course it's up to you. ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I
It appears I have three basic choices.

1. High mileage 2002s: 87 - 108k miles
2. Mid mileage 2001s: 73 - 84k miles
3. Low mileage 2000s: 33k - 68k miles
4. Mid-High mileage 2000s (78k, 92k, 168k) with battery pack replacement known to be done
Keep in mind, the vehicle bodies are aluminum, not steel. Rust should not be a concern

Look at the windshelds. Are they pitted? High speed drivers do a good bit of damage to their cars - in just this area alone.

Was the / Is the owner a smoker?

The solid state electronics in these cars should prove stabel, reliable for decades to come - unless the car body was for whatever reason in a flood.

And have you also considered this - contact your local reputable used car dealers. Most have web pages and/or Email addresses these days. Let them know who you are, where you can be found and what you're looking for. The more of them "beating the bush" on your behalf, the greater your chances of finding "THE" car you want. I suggest this as just from the view of force of law and the associated consumer protections available to you, purchasing a used vehicle going this route may well surpass the benefits of a private sale every time. Something to think about anyway.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts