Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Monte Carlos Blue MT with 285,000 and 4th battery (one under warranty, thank you Eli!)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Insight with 200k miles and manual trans has developed a problem that feels like it's starving out - it chugs and surges when keeping even steady state throttle pressure. It accelerates fine and strong, but steady speeds it always stutters. This happens mostly at surface street speeds, and nearly any normal RPM, but will surge even at highway. Obviously more pronounced with the AC on. Seems to have started around 175k miles. I've had the injectors cleaned, replaced the plugs around 150k miles, replaced the three ignition coil$ on the advice of my (non-dealer) mechanic. BTW, had the battery and charging circuit recall done back in 2006(?). My charging levels are still normal for what I've experienced throughout the 10 years I've owned it. Mileage is down to 46 to 51 mixed city/hwy.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
You haven't mentioned cleaning / replacing the EGR valve and it could be that. Plenty on the Forum about this.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

·
7,136 Posts
EGR Valve most likely.

Unfortunate that you had your mechanic throw all that stuff at it. Should have posted here. :)

Most mechanics, including dealerships, don't know about nor care about our little cars.

·
Registered
2001 Monte Carlos Blue MT with 285,000 and 4th battery (one under warranty, thank you Eli!)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Egr

Thanks. Forgot to mention I did take the EGR off and cleaned what little crud there was. It actually seemed to improve the situation but only for a day, and I chalked it up to a placebo affect, since I "expected" an improvement. But I'll revisit that, since it seems very reasonable. Also forgot to mention that every few days I'll get a check engine code for "too lean", but it clears itself after a few dozen miles. This has been a great commuting car as I put about 60 highway miles a day on it, and I'm willing to invest to keep it going.

·
7,136 Posts
You can't clean the EGR valve. The failure is internal. Replace it.

If you mean that you have cleaned the EGR plate, then it's definitely your EGR valve. If you haven't, it would be a good idea to clean the EGR plate before replacing the EGR valve.

Minor issues overall. Make sure to buy the EGR valve(spool valve) online, as it will be much cheaper than at a dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EGR Valve Set or Spool Valve?

Found this post from last year on the same topic:
Majestic Honda, and look under "spool valve" you shoujld be able to get a brand new EGR vale for $180 shipped. The parts page shows an EGR valve set ($167) AND a Spool valve ($134)... which is it?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Found this post from last year on the same topic:
Majestic Honda, and look under "spool valve" you shoujld be able to get a brand new EGR vale for $180 shipped. The parts page shows an EGR valve set ($167) AND a Spool valve ($134)... which is it?
Vlv Set EGR - $167 (ref #3)
Honda Automotive Parts

The other one you mention is the hardware that the EGR valve sits on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope this works

Thx everyone, for the quick responses. Will replace that EGR and post the results when done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts