Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Insight owners out there with good financial records on the costs of operating their cars after 46K and other financial info. I'm in a bind. I'd like to buy a used Insight but family members want a new mini compact, thinking it would be more reliable and less expensive than a used Insight.

I want to prepare a spreadsheet, using new car data from Intellichoice.com to compare to Insight data. The Insight I'd like to buy is a standard, has 46K, new tires and battery. Here's the ownership cost data I need:

1. Guestimate of resale value at 146K of a 2001 5speed in 5 years.
2.Maintenance projection between 46K and 146K.
3. Repair projection between 46K and 146K.

Thanks for your help.

Gandhifriend

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
:shock: BIG question Gandhifriend.

And it would be _VERY_ valuable information too :!: However, I don't know of where you'd find it. All of your needed data are forecasts. Tried relying on a 7 day weather forecast :?: And they've got multi million dollar computers working those numbers.

Consumer Reports does take the job seriously but doesn't always hit the target. They originally "calculated" that the Insight (IIRC most other hybrids too) would be more costly to own and operate. They did publish a retraction and their numbers showed a slight percentage advantage (something about a "math" error) but with most things automotive YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) so if your looking to operate an Insight fleet then on average you can "calculate" many of the costs. But a few individual vehicles _will_ significantly vary from the norm.

With gas prices increasing it looks like its safe to forecast that the Insight will become lower in operating costs vs. lower MPG choice vehicles. And that _should_ help increase its resale value, but 5 years out is a looong time and the vehicles condition then will also be a major factor.

In general the Insight has been comparable to the Honda "fleet" average in repair costs. In addition some of the MPG savings _must_ be accrued for IMA battery replacement when needed. True of all hybrids, and should be the major concern when buying used. Unfortunately there's no cost effective accurate and reliable way to determine the remaining service life of a hybrids battery pack. So this can be a major upset vs. buying new with a full warranty and the reasonable assurance that with proper care you can maximize their life (cost / mile).

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I've got an Excel spreadsheet from day one, which is just over a year ago. It is mainly a mileage database, but sheet two is maintenence and sheet 3 is dollars saved compared to driving my F150 at 18 miles per gal. Your welcome to a copy. Send me a PM.

Randall

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
1. Look at the price of a 2001 Insight, that is where a 2006 will be in 5 years if the price of gasoline remains constant. If the price of gas goes up or the supply of new Insights is cut off expect it to go up.....big time!

For 2. and 3. same as any other Honda with the following exceptions.

1. no alternator and belt.

2. no distributer and sparkplug cables.

3. timing chain should outlast timing belt 2 to 1.

4. no hydraulic steering pump or belt to wear out and no fluid to drain and maintain.

5. aluminum body won't rust.

6. exhaust system appears to be stainless steel.

The big wild card is the hybrid battery. The cost of relacing repairing varies greatly depending on who does it and how it is done. As a technologist with high voltage experience, I'd rebuild it myself from another used pack if it was not covered by warranty. That is not an option for most people.

If I add up what it actually cost me on my 15 year old CRX for:(see 1-6 above)
two alternators and belts, a timing belt, two distributers , two sets of spark plug cables, two muffler systems, brazing rods, bondo, sand paper, time, and paint , the cost of a battery pack looks quite reasonable. :D

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I can only give you what I've spent on mine. Bought used 3 years
ago, about 50K miles, now about 75K.

For maintenance:

Oil & filters at regular (7500 mile?) intervals. I use the synthetic 0W-20, at about $5/quart.

Replaced windshield wiper blades last fall.

Replaced two tires.

For "normal" repair, fixed one flat tire (punctured by a screw).

Temporary repairs to damage from getting rear-ended by idiot in Suburban, about $25. Settlement from his insurance, $5K.

I figure I'm way ahead :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a car the is almost exactly what you want to use. Its a 2001 I got it a year ago with 53k, now it has 127k. Expenses have run me 200 in oil changes(1 a month-6 weeks with a car wash for 23 bucks) 200 for the 105k service plugs radiator cabin filter tune up. Based on my gas bill records I'm saving the insurance every month. If the insight you're looking at is a stick figure on cutting your gas bill in half over any mini compact out there now. The main concern about your projection is that a 2001 will likely need a new bat. sometime in the next 5 years. I'm hoping for 6 more months out of mine at my current usage.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My 6 year old 2000 Insight has only required the specified oil and filter changes,is still on the original 12 volt battery and has never given any problems period.
I have just started the car after six months storage and the main battery is showing full charge! it's an awesome car.

DGate

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Gandhifriend:

___This is how my TCO from initial purchase to sale worked out so you can use what you want from it?

2000 Red 5-speed w/ A/C and a 7 Yr./100,000 mile warranty cost: $10,000.
2000 Red 5-speed w/ A/C and a 7 Yr./100,000 mile warranty sale: $9,695.00
State tax and registration: $735.00
Fuel used 401.92 gallons after 37K miles: $734.10.
Insurance cost over 1.4 years: $500
(6) Oil changes $65 for Mobil1 0W-20, $13.00 for SuperTech’s filters, and $9.3x for each change at the local Honda dealership (first one free): $125
Repairs: 1 cracked windscreen and 1 replacement RE92 (screw in the sidewall): $374.00

Depreciation: $305
TTL: $735
Fuel:$734
Insurance: $500
Maintenance: $125
Repair: $374

Total: $2,773

Cost/mile: $2,773/37.2K miles = $.074/mile

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

G

·