Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,448 Posts
I wounder how many people none the wiser believe it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the topic of the forum i saw this in

"I SAW THE NEW CRX SI"

and then there were 3 pages of speculation if it could have been a honda test car and finaly someone posted these pictures
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
That does appear to be some pretty extensive customization to the wheel skirts though (and a custom spoiler). Who ever did this mod knew what they were doing. I wonder if/how it has been mechanically modded (ditch the batt/engine swap for racing?). Going with the CR-X name plate would probably be an indication of some auto-x or other racing intent...

I would be interested to know!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Getshocked.ca said:
That was the topic of the forum i saw this in
"I SAW THE NEW CRX SI"
and then there were 3 pages of speculation if it could have been a honda test car and finaly someone posted these pictures
Please post a link. Anything by the typical Honda kid is always very entertaining reading.

I think the owner of this car may be on this forum? I seem to recall someone posting a pic of a white Insight with deleted wheel skirts several months ago?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I don't know if the old owner is on the forums, but the new owner is me.

The (loaded!) previous owner did have intentions to ditch the battery and drop in a 1.6L VTEC engine. But in the end, he gave up and traded the car into my cousin who runs a used car dealership, and he bought a BMW 850i. The owner didn't even know that the car had a salvage title when he bought it, or so he claims.

Anyhoo, the car does have a salvaged title on it, was repainted from black to white, has a modified intake with a Apex fuel air controller, and supposedly a modified exhaust, and xenon headlights. Also of course is the cut-a-way wheel skirts and the CRX decals on the rear, both of which I'm hoping to get rid of.

It's a 2000 with 117k on it, and was written off for unknown reasons. The fram from the bottom view looks perfect, and doesn't appear to have been any severe accidents. Just the front left fender missing bolts (and a few with the bolts snapped off stuck inside). My cousin told me he had the car after I had mentioned I was looking into a diesel Jetta or Passat, as I put a lot of city km every year, and I bought the car for a song (or so I think).

So, can anyone help a newbie Insight owner to hunt down those two wheel skirts, preferably from a junk yard? I'd prefer to pick them up for cheap and have them repainted to match the car's colour.

Thx.

Victor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Amusing, but the truth is the CRX HF and the Insight have a LOT in common. :) Thinking of the Insight as a CRX HF with an Assist that makes the acceleration from 0-50mph respectable is a pretty good way of thinking about it....

I would not mind if Honda discontinued the Insight but replaced them with a hypermiling CRX hybrid and a pocket rocket CRX. The economies of scale might help the new "hybrid CRX HF". To me, they are the same car...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
vkykam said:
Anyhoo, the car does have a salvaged title on it, was repainted from black to white, has a modified intake with a Apex fuel air controller, and supposedly a modified exhaust, and xenon headlights. Also of course is the cut-a-way wheel skirts and the CRX decals on the rear, both of which I'm hoping to get rid of.
Sounds like you bought yourself a real headache. :(

I'm curious about the Apex'I unit. Is that the S-AFC II? If so then I have a hard time imagining that the car is running anything close to correctly right now. Unless of course the engine swap actually took place...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
It's not a real headache...

The Apex unit is a VAFC-II unit. As far as I know, it's wired and hooked up, but not programmed. The car runs fine from what I can tell. I have no clue how to use or program the VAFC unit, so I'm leaving it as is until I have the time to go through the manual, if I can understand it that is...

Put a few hundred Toronto city KM's on it so far, and averaging 4.8L/100km in sub-zero temperature.

Other than the heat not working (Honda Canada is backordered on the thermostat), I'm quite happy with the car so far. It's amazing the technology that went into this car, and how seamless it all works together to get the incredible fuel mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
i want

those cut wheel skirts....trade ya for mine...seriously......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
vkykam said:
The Apex unit is a VAFC-II unit. As far as I know, it's wired and hooked up, but not programmed. The car runs fine from what I can tell. I have no clue how to use or program the VAFC unit, so I'm leaving it as is until I have the time to go through the manual, if I can understand it that is...
Take it out and sell it on eBay. The S-AFC/V-AFC is designed to allow you some control over the A/F ratio by intercepting and modifying the values from the air flow meter (we don't have one) or MAP sensor. I've used them many times before and they work well. The V version allows Vtek switchover control.

Now obviously on a car like the Insight, you DO NOT want to be messing with the values coming from the MAP sensor, and there's no point in controlling the Vtek switchover point. No good can come of it and all you're going to end up with is a car that doesn't run right, kills cats, gets poor mileage and has constant CEL problems. This device was never designed for OBD-II cars, especially one like the Insight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I'm assuming I can leave the harness/connectors in place, and just disconnect the unit? I haven't looked at it to see how it's hooked up.

Thx for your input.

Victor

Aaron Cake said:
Take it out and sell it on eBay. The S-AFC/V-AFC is designed to allow you some control over the A/F ratio by intercepting and modifying the values from the air flow meter (we don't have one) or MAP sensor. I've used them many times before and they work well. The V version allows Vtek switchover control.

Now obviously on a car like the Insight, you DO NOT want to be messing with the values coming from the MAP sensor, and there's no point in controlling the Vtek switchover point. No good can come of it and all you're going to end up with is a car that doesn't run right, kills cats, gets poor mileage and has constant CEL problems. This device was never designed for OBD-II cars, especially one like the Insight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
vkykam said:
the car does have a salvaged title on it, was repainted from black to white,
BLACK? Where'd a black insight come from? I want one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
39 Posts
I've seen both black & white Insights while in Japan. The black ones are sleek looking. Looking at one made me miss my 1986 black CRX Si. Yes, I too, would love to have a pocket rocket Insight !!

Murasaki
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Black, Silver, what's the difference? :D

It was originally silver. I was told black, but looked where they couldn't paint, and it's originally silver.

ElectricTroy said:
vkykam said:
the car does have a salvaged title on it, was repainted from black to white,
BLACK? Where'd a black insight come from? I want one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
I remember the previous owner posted photos on Insight central last summer, after he custom painted his Insight black.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
vkykam said:
I'm assuming I can leave the harness/connectors in place, and just disconnect the unit? I haven't looked at it to see how it's hooked up.
Thx for your input.
Unfortunately you can't. :( The engine harness would have to be cut in at least one place to install the unit. However if you follow the S-AFC harness back to where it splices into the engine harness it should be easy to reverse the damage by just reconnecting the appropriate wires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
Guillermo said:
I remember the previous owner posted photos on Insight central last summer, after he custom painted his Insight black.

wonder how much that cost? Dark blue is nice but really prefer black! :D
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top