Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

What do you guys think of the Insight's CVT compared to that of the Prius design.

Why did Honda choose to use a mechanical CVT rather than a more efficient one like that of the Prius?

Will Honda switch to using a Hybrid Drive like that of the Prius? rather than it's current IMA system?

What benefit/disadvantage of each do you see?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Does anyone know how efficient is Honda's powertrain compared to that of the Prius?

I have some very specific question that I hope you experts can answer.
First of all, let me make sure I got these fact right, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Both the Prius and Honda have the regenerative braking feature which adds to the fuel economy

2. The Honda Insight depends on the engine more while depending on the motor to a lesser extent than the Prius. This means less energy conversion (between gasoline to electric) is needed and also weight saving can occur due to a smaller motor/generator.

3. Both Honda and Prius allows the engine to work at its optimum range by using CVT. The Honda uses a mechanical CVT. ( does anyone know the efficiency of it?) The Prius uses an ECVT by 2 motors and the power split mechanism. It's unclear how much more efficient the Prius's ECVT is than the Honda's mechanical. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me.

If I'm wrong on anything please correct me and also feel free to add anything. Any comment would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, does anyone know the weight of the Honda motor?

The Insight doesn't have a generator, unlike the Prius. Also, the battery pack and the motor is also much lighter.

Overall, I think Honda is primarily trying to get mileage by reducing weights. I think those reduced weight from the motor/generator/battery makes the Insight at least a few percentage more efficient from a weight point of view.

Does anyone know how much those motor/generator/batteries weigh? compared to the Prius.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.