Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How's it going guys? First time post, long time Lerker.
A few days ago while driving my 2010 Insight shut off randomly while at a red light. I tried to start it but the car clicked as if the battery was dead. After embarrassing few minutes movingit from the road and a failed attempt at jumping it off I was finally able to have it towed home.
I went and scooped up a replacement battery and instead of clicking as if the battery was dead the starter is heard engaging, the dash lights all go dim. It hasn't thrown any codes or lights that I've noticed, outside of the occasional IMA light coming on occasionally.
So I figured I would turn to the interwebs for help.
Things I've tried so far ( with the searching of the forum for similar situations )
• New battery
• Disabled IMA by removing fuses to see if it had any effect
• Checked fuel ( even though I believe the car would still at least try to turn over )
haven't checked spark yet, because I'd guess the car would AT LEAST try to turn over, even if that was the issue as well.
Haven't replaced grounds yet either

Any help or guidance would greatly be appreciated. Would a failed DC converter or bad IMA battery be the culprit?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
How many miles on it? Has it ever been to a dealer? (There are software updates and airbag recalls) has the IMA light been coming on before this started? Did you buy this new? Has the underwood battery ever been replaced before this?
And, based on other wild goose chases we have on around here, does it have a salvage title?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the fast reply!
Outside of being purchased at a dealer, it hasn't went back to the dealer. Put had intended on going prior to this happening because of the recall.
It has a little over 180k
The IMA has came on at random since I bought it
I didn't buy it new, I bought it back in August of 2014
The battery under the hood hadn't been replaced since I've owned it. Which is why the new battery purchase recently was the first thing I tried.
The title is crystal clear

·
Registered
210 Posts
Better to make a diagnosis. By code you can try to solve the problem.
Car stop and IMA Error, but after a while start - ok, and repeat?
Possible failure of a cooling fan of the battery.
But, needs codes of diagnosis, to say for sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
I went and scooped up a replacement battery and instead of clicking as if the battery was dead the starter is heard engaging, the dash lights all go dim.
This sounds like a weak 12V battery. It's possible you got a bad one or it is just not fully charged. Take it back to where you bought it and have it LOAD TESTED. Make sure it is fully charged and try it again.

Disconnecting the 12V cleared any codes you might have had, so you'll have to get it running before you'll get any new ones.

Sam (Not a G2 guy)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Sadly these Insights do not make a very good old used car like a high mileage Civic would. They are very complicated. Your first problem was ignoring the IMA
Warning light. Going back a while around here there were folks within warranty that had that happen. Honda came up with a software update to address it. Your Insight has never had that and the IMA battery pack may just be broken. Perhaps from not having had those updates.

Just a FYI, there were actually four updates total. The first three were "quiet" ones, coming out as a service bulletin. They effected how the Ima charged, how it held assist on hillls and the other one was for the CVT. A fourth one was done, also directed at the IMA system. It got owners sent out letters and, if never done, should still done without charge. But, in your case, you have to get it running first. I agree that you may have a bad or weak new battery. You could also have a bad cable connection. That might explain the sudden cut off at the red light. Of course Insights do shut off at red lights, it's a feature. Usually when that happens, the IMA motor would restart the engine. But your IMA has issues.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hey MisterMonkey26, we had another user her with the same issue. That car ended up having wires chewed by rodents. Something you might want to check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts