Discussion Starter #1
I think this voids the warranty:

http://www.tiiite.com/pics/insight1.jpg
http://www.tiiite.com/pics/insight2.jpg
http://www.dvsrace.com/Norris_front.jpg
http://www.dvsrace.com/Norris_Rear.jpg
http://www.dvsrace.com/Norris_Motor.jpg

Citation:

"The car weighed in at 1610 with driver. The radiator, it's a fluidyne kart radiator. Stock TypeS motor with TypeR cams, Clutchmaster twin disk, custom throttle bodies, and NuImage Autosports K Series header. The car made 232whp on a dynojet. Not bad for stock motor. It has already run a 10.94 in it's second pass ever (with Stock Bottom End)".

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Only one word:

WOW !!!!

It finally happened, a 4 cylinder into an Insight. They kept the rear tires to keep the wheel spat. But the front are way bigger.

Cool !!

(Note that I did 18 seconds on the 1/4 mile. I know what it takes to make it 1 second less, much more power. But this is 7 seconds less!!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope somebody at some point comes up with a kit to easily fit a Civic engine in the Insight. That way, we have an alternative for the day the battery pack craps out. It would make an interesting track car with a 160hp Civic SIR engine. In any case, it seems that the import tuning crowd is now waking up to the all-aluminium body of the Insight.

I wonder if a first generation MR2 engine could be installed in the back of the Insight, à la SHOgun Festiva. How complicated could that be?

·
Registered
334 Posts
See, I knew it could be done. I have a feeling we'll start seeing more Insights with full on horsepower under the hood.

It's pretty cool how they custom made a one-piece fiberglass front end for the Insight. Pretty sure that's not availble at our local dealer. :wink:

Wonder if the same engine would fit in a regular Insight tht didn't have the front end cut-off? Looks pretty nice in the enginebay. Also, which series engine is it? I'm guessing a B series... It would be nice if there were specs for their cars, but I guess they don't want to tip-off their competitors.

This really gives credit to the idea of fitting the Civic IMA system into our car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Electric CO, how did you find those pics? Is there a story written up on the car somewhere?

I wonder if this is the car that we being made by the guys I bought my spare battery pack from. They bought a 2000 Insight that had been in a front end collision to turn it into a racer. Since this car has had its entire front end chopped off and replaced with a tubular frame and the fiberglass front clip it is a possibility. One thing is for sure, there's no way any kind of kit is coming out of this conversion, not a street legal one anyway.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Damn! I knew someone would do it one day. Now maybe my friends might stop bashing my little car. A 10 second Insight, that's insane.

I want one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
a civic engine>.. are you trying to say a d16z6, or a b18(gsr vtec dual overhead cam) these will fit already. and if you want your insight to hit 10 sec flat stock mod the engine bay and put an h22 or h23 engine in(prelude vtec) and why would you put a toyota engine in a honda...

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a K-Series engine in there and since this was posted, it has went 10.30's at over 130mph

There is another Insight being built for that same class using a B Series, but it is not quite as nice as this one.

I am currently looking for an insight to start a project of my own with, but it would be a street driven car; so if anyone knows of one for under $5-6K due to mechanical failures or very high mileage, let me know and I will work with my fab guy to get mount kits, axles and wiring available to the general public.

·
Registered
166 Posts
what model/make you looking for... an Insight... or are you looking for an engine.....

You can get a spoon b18 that is one bad *** motor with tranny, ecu, etc. for 4000

·
Registered
166 Posts
call some junk yards... or just buy a crx.... they have a lot of those at junk yards, and ebay for really cheap. yeah well i was in the scene for about 6 years, but i quit after the fast and the furious brought all these damn posers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been keeping my eyes open, but with so few of these made, they are somewhat scarce.....at least in that price range

We had a decent CRX last year and are going to be running an EK this year, but we want something nicer and the aerodynamics of the insight make it a very easy choice for the extra money

·
Registered
334 Posts
let me know and I will work with my fab guy to get mount kits, axles and wiring available to the general public.
Yes, please! There will be lots of interest in such things. Will they be CNC machined aluminum engine mounts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
well, I bought another hatch for now, but I will still be on the lookout for an insight that fits our criteria......once I get it, we can start working out everything

After the race season gets going maybe we can arrange for someone to go down to the guy for some testing, but right now hes really swamped

1 - 16 of 16 Posts