Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my recent insight purchase, and learning how to maximize fuel efficinecy with driving style, I decided to apply related techniques to my 95 5sp Civic DX. Specifically, I over inflated my tires (28psi to 42 PSI-little noticable difference in ride), slowed down from 75 to 60 mph in highways), and practice more conservative start/stops.

95% of my comute is highway, and with what I have learned from my insight practices, 2 tanks of gas in the Civic calculate to have increased my average MPG from 37 to 43.

Good to know for the ever-increasing gas prices :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
That is the best and perhaps worst thing about the Insight. It really does teach you how to drive much much more efficiently! The only problem is, a person has to be willing to learn.

Good to see you could carry over the methods.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Even before I purchased my Insight, I took my bi-monthly 440 mile round trip in my Buick Lesabre driving 55 MAX instread of my normal pedal to the metal 70-85 mph. It took me 45 minutes longer each way and I saved about 8 gallons of gas. While driving at this speed I counted over 1,000 vehicles had passed me in a span of about 50 miles. Can you imagine the fuel/dollars saved if everyone would simply slow down? It's a staggering amount that would litterally change our entire economy. Good or better? dunno, but it would be a huge impact.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watching the passing cars while driving 60 has really made me wonder, do we (Americans) really care about gas conservation? Most are driving V8 vehicles, at well above the speed limit, racing from light to light, while most likely complaining about the cost of fuel.

I tend to give the large truck (simi) drivers a brake on this, as this is how they earn a living, and they too must take advantage of driving condtions to maintian speed, with heavy loads.

Ever noticed how some high speed drivers will tailgate you at lower speeds until they remember they can pass??? :? I have even moved over into the passing lane on several occasions to assit them in thier thouoght process, after which they resume speed to 80 mph :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Jakked- Hillary Clinton made the suggestion when gas prices first skyrocketed after Katrina, that we lower speed limits and people were up in arms. Me being the eco & fuel conscience Insight driver, i thought it was a fabulous idea!!!!!!
I drive the speed limit and in the right lane, if you have a problem with that, then pass me. Do not tail gate me or flash your high beams. That is why there is more than one lane on a highway ;)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
" high speed drivers will tailgate you at lower speeds until they remember they can pass???"

Aha, this confirms that "lemmings syndrome" is spreading! :roll: :lol:

As local highways in my neighborhood are two lanes, shifting into the left lane is a poor lifestyle choice. ;) I do pull over in small villages if I'm developing a following despite driving at the speed limit or slightly over. I sometimes wish I had a bumper sticker reading, "Don't draft. Insights leave no wake".

·
Registered
171 Posts
I did the same thing in my old 95 Civic LX auto (only my skills came from driving my HCH). Over one tank I was able to get 38.7 mpg, where the previous tank had been 31.1 mpg.

·
Registered
466 Posts
got 28 and 29 on two trips from williamsburg va to fayetteville nc in my wifes chrysler minivan. 70 mph and a/c blasting! i think its rated 25 on the highway.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Yup :!:

The Insight's MPG "game gauge" gives instant MPG gratification, education, and rewards. Without it its hard to learn the proper techniques or wait 'till the end of the tank to see the results.

But its influence can carry over to anything that an Insighter sits behind the wheel in. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I also find it easier with the Insight giving you the instant mileage. When I installed a boost/vacuum gauge in my MINI, it gave me the same feeling. Instead of giving mileage, it just lets you know how far your foot is down. Mileage gauges on some older cars were simply a vacuum gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I was discussing this topic with a friend a few days ago. I mentioned that most people would probably pay closer attention to their mileage and driving habits if all cars had the instantaneous mpg gauges.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
its hard to learn the proper techniques or wait 'till the end of the tank to see the results.

But its influence can carry over to anything that an Insighter sits behind the wheel in. :)
I found it quite exciting watching my gas gauge drop much slower than I had been used to.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... increased my average MPG from 37 to 43.
A sixteen (16%+) percent increase in MPG is nothing to be ashamed of - Well done!

Bullock recently pointed out (or better repeated) an old Virginia Highway campaign slogan to get people to slow down and I believe it to be a very good one: words to the effect

... "All in favor of saving gas, raise your right foot"

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hank1 said:
Watching the passing cars while driving 60 has really made me wonder, do we (Americans) really care about gas conservation? Most are driving V8 vehicles, at well above the speed limit, racing from light to light, while most likely complaining about the cost of fuel.
I don't think 95% of the people care.....sad. So let's hope the Govt implements 40MPG by 2010.

I suggested lowering the freeway speed limit to 55mph over in the Clublexus.com forum and was basically run out of there for even mentioning it. Again sadly I think that's how 95% of Americans feel. For me personally I can drive almost 50% of my commute on the access road @ 52mph without hitting any stoplights.

side note -- gas is back down to 2.79 in Houston.

·
Registered
741 Posts
JakkedUp said:
Can you imagine the fuel/dollars saved if everyone would simply slow down? It's a staggering amount that would litterally change our entire economy. Good or better? dunno, but it would be a huge impact.
A 55mph speed limit would also mean slower delivery of goods (say 5 days instead of 3 days). In an economy that is based upon "just in time" inventory, not having the necessary parts could lead to production lines shutting-down & workers standing around doing nothing.

And billions of dollars (in sales) would be lost due to the delays.

BACK TO TOPIC: I applied the principles of the Insight to my non-hybrid car, and it did improve the MPG, but not as much as I had hoped. Only went from 28 to 30. What I need is one extra overdrive gear, to shift my engine down to ~2000 rpm instead of ~2500. THEN I would see an improvement.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just another excuse, but the fact of the matter is, the trucking speed limit is 60mph already. My suggestion was for everybody, meaning people in there Hummers, SUV's, F350's all carriing around 1 person(which is what you see 90% of the time).

Besides, the difference in going 60 and 55 is not going to take 2 extra days to make a delivery even if cross country.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
ElectricTroy, Does that mean if the speed limit was 100MPH that the economy would be greatly enhanced because the parts would arrive much quicker and they would have to hire more employees to keep up with the faster delivery of goods.

A famous "I Love Lucy" clip comes to mind when she is trying to keep up with the conveyor belt at the candy factory:

http://www.angelfire.com/az2/iluvlucy/images/candy.jpg

Man Troy....where do you come up with this stuff?... It's simply a matter of planning. A 10MPH drop in the speed limit is not going to be a delay on arrival if the entire delivery is planned at the current speed limit.

By the way, going from 28 to 30 still is better than 28 ;)

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
143 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
A 55mph speed limit would also mean slower delivery of goods (say 5 days instead of 3 days). In an economy that is based upon "just in time" inventory, not having the necessary parts could lead to production lines shutting-down & workers standing around doing nothing.
I really ponder how much gas would be saved during rush hours if the speed limit was 55 mph. With cars going slower, this in theory would ease up congestion because the volume of cars going through any particular point on a highway would be reduced. Reducing congestion would help increase the actual average speed cars/trucks go through a particular trip.

Besides going from 65 to 55 mph for trucks would mean only an extra 1.8 hours of driving if a person drove 650 miles ~(Cleveland to Boston). Think of the gas savings for that truck!

bagwell said:
I don't think 95% of the people care.....sad. So let's hope the Govt implements 40MPG by 2010.
Dude, whatever you are smoking, I'll take some. 40 mpg by 2010? We'd be lucky for DC to make it 40 mpg by 2020. That change isn't happening with Bush in the White House. And Detroit will fight it because they can't design better cars than Japan or Europe right now. The only way they could increase mileage in cars would be to take off doors to reduce weight. Gosh... imagine Detroit being the world leader in Car Industry. Yeah... imagine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts