Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my 12 volt battery with the lighter Odyssey PC545 dry cell battery. The current battery was a non OEM battery that weighed 25 lbs and has been loosing charge lately. The PC545 weighs in at just 12 lbs. An instant weight savings of 13 lbs so that got me to thinking about shedding a few more pounds.

I have a cargo mat that weighs 5 lbs so I decided to remove it and use it only when carrying items. The passenger floor mat is 2.5 lbs so I removed it and will use it on the rare instance my wife wants to ride along. The spare tire is 15lbs. The spare tire tools & jack are 5lbs. For a grand total of 40.5 lbs.

I mainly commute to work and back and obviously will load the spare for any longer trips or if I don't notice any improved mpg. If I do notice an increase in mpg I may consider purchasing a spare to keep at the office and thus, if I do have a flat on the way to work or home a spare is just a phone call away.

However, taking the new battery out of the equation the other items removed are saving 27.5 lbs so there may not be a noticeable change in mileage If I place these items back but I will keep you posted.

Does anyone know what the passenger seat weighs?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I replaced my 12 volt battery with the lighter Odyssey PC545 dry cell battery. The current battery was a non OEM battery that weighed 25 lbs and has been loosing charge lately. The PC545 weighs in at just 12 lbs. An instant weight savings of 13 lbs so that got me to thinking about shedding a few more pounds.
As silly as this may sound, if practical for you to do so, try "filling up" with only half a tank of gasoline rather than all the way. Gasoline weighs about 8 lbs. a gallon. A side benefit to this is if you see a good deal on lower price gasoline as you're going down the road, you can pull in and take advantage of the savings - at the end of a given year that savings may prove to be significant.

Hope this helps.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wonder if you'll see any difference... I don't notice any mileage improvement when member of my family is in the car... so I wonder if those pounds will make any difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
as for replacing the windows with plastic...

Just make sure you use lexan as opposed to plexiglass. Plexiglass scratches way to easily and is not nearly as strong lexan.

Also, it should go without saying but the only windows you could really replace is the small back windows and the rear hatch glass (which might be problematic)

I'm fairly certain there are laws against replacing the side roll down windows with materials other than tempered glass and obviously you wouldn't want to touch the windshield.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I removed the passenger seat. I drive solo to my job and it increased the cargo area.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
IIRC, the spare tire is an integral part of the Insight's crash protection for the occupant(s), in case some lummox rear-ends you... :cry:

·
Administrator
12,531 Posts
Spare Tyre

I accept weight reduction is a good idea in principle.

However, apart from the issue that the tyre forms part of the rear crash protection, getting stuck with a blow out at the side of the road because of the lack of a spare and the tools to change it sounds a bit mad ;) to me.

The 0.01mpg difference this weight might make is a small price to pay for being able to get home when I have a blowout.

:D

Peter

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Someone said that a AAA card weighs less than the spare tire, so they took out the tire.
:lol:

Good advice for normal driving in town, I guess... :lol:

I've had a breakdown out on US 380 years ago, between Socorro and Roswell in NM, scores of miles from anything, much less a cell signal or a friendly repair person in a garage nearby. And yes, I had the tools to effect the needed repair and was on my way within 1.5 hours (and no one came by in that time!). It's soooo quiet out there, the silence actually hurts your ears, it's so intense. Since My Beloved and I drive quite a bit for recreation on our time away from work, you better believe I'm prepared to face most any eventuality on my own, as much as is practical. IMHO, driving without a spare is not the smartest option you could choose... ;) [/quote]

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Oh! You drive a Pinto! My condolences... :lol: ;) :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think 40 pounds might be worth more than 0.01 MPG. Suppose that you drive mostly around town, where aerodynamics is not as important as rolling friction. Suppose that you get 60 MPG and your car weighs 1800 pounds. A 40 pound reduction is about 2%. If the economy depends directly on weight (which it doesn't), then you would save about 2% of 60 or 1.3 MPG.

This is way too crude of a calculation, but it's not off by a factor of 100. The advantage of a light weight car should not be minimized...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually, gas is lighter than water: a gallon of gasoline weighs about 6.1 lbs, a gallon of water weighs about 8.3. So a full tank weighs around 65 lbs. But still, I totally agree with Fred. I always put 5 bucks in the tank instead of filling it. You can also go on a diet. I'm a svelt 120 lbs and my wife is 115. ;)

I used to drag race and we used to empty our water spray bottles as well to save weight. In our Insight we never fill the bottle except in winter. Plus we leave all the manuals at home. It all adds up.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You would be surprised how heavy the rear hatch is. When the rear hatch gas springs failed i found out. Yes it's probably a structural part of the cabin (just avoid crashing) and make it out of fiberglass to save more then 50 lbs right there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Weight Reduction

As a retired auto engineer I got hooked on the Gen I Insight (I've recently picked up 3 Gen I MT units). I built a Long-EZ (airplane) that holds two world altitude records. Weight adds up and does affect efficiency. I've been lurking and gained a LOT of information from everyone here. I found this thread while looking for things that I might go after to reduce weight on my vehicle. Who uses the rear wiper?.. that blade, arm, motor are getting removed from my car. I happened to take off the engine cover front bracket.. ever feel that thing? A gorilla could swing on it & it supports a few ounces of plastic cover. The Honda engineers missed that one. Mine will be swiss cheesed with drilled holes to remove about 1/2 the weight this will do almost nothing to the structure of it. I suspect not many of you are that crazy.. but I have fun doing those things. I've found that many small acts add up to be significant. So I commend those of you who think of the 1/2 tank vs full concept(s).
I'm still looking for a list of things like the rear wiper motor, that engine cover bracket & easy areas of opportunity like that. I'm also working on aerodynamic mods .. hey I got these cars to have FUN!
Thanks again for everyones great thoughts!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,118 Posts
Get rid of the muffler, the resonator acts as a muffler anyhow. That saves around 22 pounds.
HTH
Willie
(I am a firm believer in the HP to weight ratio)

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Get rid of the muffler, the resonator acts as a muffler anyhow. That saves around 22 pounds.
HTH
Willie
(I am a firm believer in the HP to weight ratio)
Sweet. There's a youtube video of an Insight running open header. Sounds mean.

I could weigh the 2001 exhaust I have in the backyard if anyone wanted the exact weight

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,118 Posts
That was probably a K20 engined Insight. There are no headers for the Insight......Maybe a g2 but not a g1.
The whole exhaust weighs a "ton".........Muffler by itself is 22 lbs.

Willie

·
Registered
3 Posts
muffler delete

Superb idea Willie (muffler eliminate), I hadn't thought of that one. This car is so well designed (especially the aluminum body), there aren't a lot of target rich areas for weight reduction. I had thought about a smaller battery or even a starter elimination for the summer when the IMA would work fine. Anyone running without a starter?

A carbon plug for the back window would be cool (it could do the body structure requirement)... yet my aero plans are for outside mirror elimination (Idaho doesn't require outside mirrors) so the carbon plug doesn't fit with my being able to see.... unless a back-up camera would be clear enough.

I drive mountains so there is a lot of up-down... I think the weight has a significant effect on mpg for that and/or a lot of stop/go driving.

What a great car these are to start with!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts