Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles can you expect an Insight to last with proper maintaince?
200,000 or more?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would expect an Insight to last the as long as any other Honda with the exception of the battery pack with proper maintenance. 200K is not unusual in Honda vehicles.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Mike; before Insights, I had a Honda CRX HF. I bought it new and drove it 503,000 miles, no problems. I sold it to a friend, and he has another 102,000 on it, with no problems. I drove mainly freeway trips, and changed my own oil. The front brake pads lasted over 350,000. Insights can last "indefinately" with the proper care....

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Given that the Insight is mostly aluminium it could last a very long time indeed ;) , subject to the replacement of wear & tear items (but that's including engine, transmission & IMA batteries).

·
Registered
476 Posts
mileage

Mine has 263k miles 8)

·
Registered
95 Posts
“Given that the Insight is mostly aluminium it could last a very long time indeed”

Not sure where this comment comes from, aluminum has a finite fatigue life usually considered much lower than steel. I have heard that Civics and Accords can start to develop critical cracks in the white body around 300k miles so I would guess the Insight would be benchmarked the same.

Is there a string explaining this line of thinking?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Lee and welcome to the forum :!: :)

Not sure exactly what you "heard" or where. IMO such a statement would need to be carefully qualified as to the many specifics.

I personally am familiar with several 300+K Honda's and know of no such cracks in any body or frame location. But the plastic fenders on the old CRX's are very brittle now a days. ;)

Although you do bring up a good point of metal fatigue and aluminum's more fragile characterics.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
34 Posts
there are plenty of planes flying around that are just fine.
i would think that the insight will outlast most of it's owners.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well MrCoffee,

Not a good compairson I'm afraid.

_All_ aircraft parts are carefully engineered and inspected for faults throughout their manufacture that could limit their design life. Even down to the nuts and bolts. And well before that design life is reached their replaced. Along with rigorous maintenance and inspections along the way designed to "catch" any ooopses before its too late.

Even then we still see the consequences from time to time :(

HTH! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
i've been a aerospace engineer for the last 24 years.
i know the fatigue and design limitations of aluminium structures.
insight drivers have nothing to worry about over stressing there
subframes LOL

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The NSX has been around since when?..... 1991 was the first year? No such issues with them I'm aware of and they use many of the same frame and body techniques on the Insight. They even go so far as putting an anti-electrolytic-corrosion-resistive coating on the body bolts so there is no metalergy occuring between steel and alluminum.

I think one day the Insight is going to be a rare sought after donor car to use for electric conversions once we get cars with a gagillion miles on them.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Lee,

Steel bodied cars rust. Rust expands when it forms. Expanding layers of rust between spot welded steel sheets literally rip the spot welds apart, destroying unibody integrity.

Properly designed aluminum structures have no such problem.

Consider the aluminum pistons in modern engines. At 200,000 miles those pistons have been subjected to burning gasoline and powerful alternating forces about 500 million times.

Don't worry.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well, you CAN get corrosion in aluminum structures, though I believe it mostly happens near salt water. Had to pull some inspection panels on my Piper Cherokee a couple of years ago for a FAA-mandated check. (None found, as expected from a plane that's spent most of its life in the high desert.)

In any case, that aluminium body was built in 1965. None of it has been replaced, and inspections show no signs of fatigue or corrosion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure I follow. Airplanes (with a monocoque aluminum structures) have a finite life, after a given amount of time the aluminum will fatigue and crack (this is not due to a over stress condition). There is a parking lot full of passenger jets in Mohave Ca that have there airframe timed out (main stress is due to pressurized cabin, or so I heard). An aluminum structure will always have this condition, steel will do the same unless the loads are below the fatigue limit (roughly half of the load to bend the steel). This is one of the reasons that the FAA requires inspections of airplanes.

And yes I know that cars will exceed 300k miles (250k on my Civic HX). However the likelihood of developing stress cracks increases. I have seen cars where the shock tower cracked all the way around, the suspension fell to the bump stop and the hood had an obvious bulge in it from the (now lose) shock. Extreme cases like that are at really high miles, typically much higher than any normal person would push a car.

My point was (or so I thought), a unit body vehicle will not last forever with out some serious structural panel replacement. And, one would think, an aluminum car will be more susceptible to fatigue issues. I would expect an Insight to last as long as any other Honda but not ‘forever’. I have read several times that people expected there Insight to last longer than other Honda products and I was curious as to why.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think because of the easy service life of the insight and the aluminium alloy construction it will last as long or longer than the average car.
most insight owner's (except the ones with turbos heh) are very easy
on there cars.
ie not doing burn outs, power slides, flying through the air LOL.
so the stress that the insight will see will be lower than the average car.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"Airplanes (with a monocoque aluminum structures) have a finite life, after a given amount of time the aluminum will fatigue and crack (this is not due to a over stress condition). There is a parking lot full of passenger jets in Mohave Ca that have there airframe timed out..."

I'm not sure this is entirely true. I had thought that most of those parked planes were there not because of airframe problems per se, but because technology - noise restrictions, higher fuel costs, and so on - had made them uneconomical to operate. Certainly some older aircraft are still flying: the DC3 as a prime example.

As far as single-engined private planes go, I'd be very surprised if more than a tiny fraction of the aluminum ones built since WWII have been retired due to structural problems. Indeed, a lot of the "newest" planes in the GA fleet were built in the '60s & '70s, before production plummeted due to liability issues. And there are plenty of '50s models out there too.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Lee, we have the examples of Willie Wilford who has a turbo Insight nearing 200,000 miles, and Dan Fiore who has about 260,000 miles on their Insights. Neither has reported metal fatigue.

I owned a car with shock towers that were giving out. The problem was caused by rust thinning out and weakening the body. I reinforced them by welding on plates. (My welding work stood up for about 3 more years.)

As I've mentioned before, I hate rust! ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my insight this year about 1 month ago.. red 5 speed... with only 120 miles on it. I plan on keeping this car until one day when free energy comes out(if i need a new car to use this free energy) and has been established for one year OR a energy source that would be considerably more cost efficient then a insight. This car is a investment to me. Sure it costed me 22,000 after tax. Sure the dealer refused to give me a better deal on it... But with how much i drive... this car will help me save a lot of money in gas. I pay probably $3000-4000 a year in my truck for gas... In 5 years thats basically enough to buy the insight. Now take the number and divide it by 6. Now based on that scale i pay $666.66 for a year of gas. i save $3333.34 every year. Why did i pick the number 6? because the insight gets 6X better gas mileage then my truck. Depending on terrain i get anywhere from 58.6mpg(my all time low in hilly areas of minnesota) to 92mpg AVERAGES. And if i really wanted to get some crazy miles per gallon i'd go 30 miles per hour and get honked at... but the MPG then would be about 115 on AVERAGE. I'm not talking about instant MPG i'm talking average on a rather non hilly surface area. You guys know the figures... its not about how long the insight lasts... we know it will last us 15-30 years... But will we not have free energy or future advancements by then? possibly. How much do we save over 15-30 years? how many cars can we buy with that money? Sure the IMA battery will probably crap out at like 200,000-300,000 miles possibly. But maintence on these cars in general is lower than most cars. Another interesting thing is that... if you saved ever since you were 18... saved money... and saved up say... 1,000,000 by the time you are 35-45 years old. Placed it into a roughly 10% paying stable dividend stock... you'd be making before taxes about $100,000... This just gives you a idea of what saving can do for you. Lets say you placed money in this stock ever since you were 18... It creates a SNOWBALL effect... the money grows and grows as you add more into it... if its a solid company the stock grows with it... and together with your income and the stocks overall performance you gain this dream. At age 40 you roughly have 40 or more years left to live if you took care of yourself. Now you have the next 40+ years to be with the ones you love and to have fun with your life. Anyway... thats my plan and i'm only 19. Think what you want about it and enjoy life regaurdless. Thanks for reading and good luck to you all. Thats my two cents. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts