Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, first time posting here so excuse me if I get anything wrong!
Anyway, I've had a 2009 Insight for a couple of years and since it never failed me I started investing some money on updating general hardware.

First of all, I changed the original navigation unit to a 12" PX6 android head unit (that surprisingly works really really well), then I installed a birdseye kit (4 cameras placed in front, back and side mirrors) which works both as dashcam system, security system (vibration activated) and manoeuvring aid (responds to reverse gear and turn signals). I also bought a cheap (one of the few that were compatible with h.u.) OBD II Bluetooth reader. The battery started suffering a bit, especially when waiting parked with the engine off, so I removed the original microphone assembly and 3d printed an identical insert that holds switches for head unit main power, cameras main power and a third one that serves as a fuel cutoff switch. Finally, I worked on the aesthetics of the interior, changing all the interior lights and door courtesy lights with low-consumption white LEDs and installing a LED footlight + Neon/Led tubes kit which radically changes the atmosphere. I'm still looking for a good kit of LED headlights.

To top everything off I wanted to complete the head unit assembly with a Canbus decoder so I got from the same h.u. seller a certain Xinbasi decoder, installed it and ... nothing. The h.u. doesn't respond at all. I checked the wiring and the tension to the decoder and it seems to be all right, I have no idea how to check if the decoder itself works or not. Thanks to some disputes with the seller I can't give back the decoder or get any significant help on the issue.
Has anyone took a similar path or encountered similar issues?

Another issue that is secondary to me is the fact that the OBD cyclically disconnects from the ECU (receives infos for 2-5 seconds, disconnects for 2-5 seconds and then repeats the cycle). I use the function only to keep the parameters under control in the few long trips I make but if anyone has any ideas I'd enjoy reading them really much.

Here the list of components
H.U. : 449.98US $ 37% di SCONTO|Car Multimedia Player 2 Din universale Per HONDA Accord Città Civic Fit HR V Insight Jazz Android PX6 Tesla Audio Radio stereo GPS|Lettore multimediale per auto| - AliExpress
Birdseye : 116.16US $ 16% di SCONTO|Macchina fotografica eccellente senza cuciture impermeabile di visione notturna di 2D HD senza cuciture impermeabile di parcheggio della registrazione del sistema DVR di vista dell'uccello di 360 gradi|Fotocamera per auto| - AliExpress
Canbus decoder : LED decorative kit : OBD II reader: Bolongking OBD II - Lettore scanner diagnostico per auto, ELM327, collegamento Bluetooth, luce controllo del motore, per Android: Amazon.it: Auto e Moto

Here are some photos ... I know that not everybody is going to like my mods but I really do and I enjoyed working on my Insight, hope that someone will see what I see!

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
The Insight G2 FCAN BUS at the OBDII port is very similar or in fact likely identical to the CR-Z data.

You might want to read up on this work or get yourself a cheap HDS clone tool.

Cheap OBDII dongles will only be able to provide basic OBD data

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Insight G2 FCAN BUS at the OBDII port is very similar or in fact likely identical to the CR-Z data.

You might want to read up on this work or get yourself a cheap HDS clone tool.

Cheap OBDII dongles will only be able to provide basic OBD data
Thank you very much, I'll surely look into that! I already encountered the OBDC&C various times on this site before posting but I didn't really try it out because I was looking for something that could be integrated into the head unit controls rather than on a separate screen/controls.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Insight EX
4 Posts
Hi everybody, first time posting here so excuse me if I get anything wrong!
Anyway, I've had a 2009 Insight for a couple of years and since it never failed me I started investing some money on updating general hardware.

First of all, I changed the original navigation unit to a 12" PX6 android head unit (that surprisingly works really really well), then I installed a birdseye kit (4 cameras placed in front, back and side mirrors) which works both as dashcam system, security system (vibration activated) and manoeuvring aid (responds to reverse gear and turn signals). I also bought a cheap (one of the few that were compatible with h.u.) OBD II Bluetooth reader. The battery started suffering a bit, especially when waiting parked with the engine off, so I removed the original microphone assembly and 3d printed an identical insert that holds switches for head unit main power, cameras main power and a third one that serves as a fuel cutoff switch. Finally, I worked on the aesthetics of the interior, changing all the interior lights and door courtesy lights with low-consumption white LEDs and installing a LED footlight + Neon/Led tubes kit which radically changes the atmosphere. I'm still looking for a good kit of LED headlights.

To top everything off I wanted to complete the head unit assembly with a Canbus decoder so I got from the same h.u. seller a certain Xinbasi decoder, installed it and ... nothing. The h.u. doesn't respond at all. I checked the wiring and the tension to the decoder and it seems to be all right, I have no idea how to check if the decoder itself works or not. Thanks to some disputes with the seller I can't give back the decoder or get any significant help on the issue.
Has anyone took a similar path or encountered similar issues?

Another issue that is secondary to me is the fact that the OBD cyclically disconnects from the ECU (receives infos for 2-5 seconds, disconnects for 2-5 seconds and then repeats the cycle). I use the function only to keep the parameters under control in the few long trips I make but if anyone has any ideas I'd enjoy reading them really much.

Here the list of components
H.U. : 449.98US $ 37% di SCONTO|Car Multimedia Player 2 Din universale Per HONDA Accord Città Civic Fit HR V Insight Jazz Android PX6 Tesla Audio Radio stereo GPS|Lettore multimediale per auto| - AliExpress
Birdseye : 116.16US $ 16% di SCONTO|Macchina fotografica eccellente senza cuciture impermeabile di visione notturna di 2D HD senza cuciture impermeabile di parcheggio della registrazione del sistema DVR di vista dell'uccello di 360 gradi|Fotocamera per auto| - AliExpress
Canbus decoder : LED decorative kit : OBD II reader: Bolongking OBD II - Lettore scanner diagnostico per auto, ELM327, collegamento Bluetooth, luce controllo del motore, per Android: Amazon.it: Auto e Moto

Here are some photos ... I know that not everybody is going to like my mods but I really do and I enjoyed working on my Insight, hope that someone will see what I see!

View attachment 89503
can i buy the middle seat cup holder portion? I'm assuming I need to buy a whole seat back from salvage or something. I have a 2010 EX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts