Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
EDIT: This ended up being pretty long. Sarcasm has been sprinkled generously throughout.

Yes and no. Yes, the Insight does have a high electromagnetic field. There is no solid evidence that electromagnetic fields cause cancer. All the evidence is correlational at best. There is also lots of evidence that electromagnetic fields are good for you.

You also might want to take into account the writer of that complaint. Although they make an effort to sound knowledgeable, some of their remarks are downright absurd, such as the suggestion that "EMF will eventually rival tobacco and asbestos as health issues."

Anyway, this has come up a few times, so I thought I'd look into the claims a bit. The complainant mentioned that "The Institute for Bau-biology and Ecology" had set "standards" for electromagnetic field strength, so I went to see what they had to say, which was "These manmade energies have become part of our lives and as such are superimposed to our subtle body energies." Now I see why those Feng Shui courses didn't do anything. The dryer has been interfering with my subtle body energies, totally messing up my Karmic alignment. :roll:

Of course, the Earth has a pretty substantial magnetic field, but they were quick to answer that one with: "since time began until about hundred years ago life had to deal with naturally occurring radiation, which somehow was balanced or life was shielded from detrimental parts of that radiation" which could be paraphrased as: "Err.. well, yes, there's lots of naturally occurring electromagnetic fields, but somehow we've been protected from it! We're not entirely sure how, but we have a theory involving a duck and a bicycle pump. However, one thing is for certain: the protection we have been afforded does not also apply to electromagnetic radiation from man-made devices. Please pay $250 now for our online course where you'll learn about electromagnetic radiation, especially how it relates to brain waves. What you say? Your brain operates based on a chemical change in potential energy, not due to actual current flow? Blasphemy! You buy now."
[/end sarcastic paraphrasing]

Now, he specifically refers to one study, by "Liburty and Colleagues" in 1993. He says that that study "found that just 12 mG stimulates the growth of estrogen-sensitive breast cancer cells." Unfortunately, it seems that electromagnetic fields were interfering with Brian of Leucadia's subtle body energies, and as a result he misinterpreted the actual findings of the study. ;) The actual findings of the study were that a 12mG field at 60Hz can block the ability of melatonin to slow the growth of existing breast cancer cells in vitro. (meaning, cancerous cells on the surface, not ones inside a tumour.) Even this has been contested, as attempts to reproduce and confirm the results of this experiment have failed to produce the same results. One study performed by C.F.Blackman, S.G. Benane, D.E. House and J.P. Blanchard confimed the original results, but did so with the involvement of the originating laboratory, so is questionably objective. This is a far cry from Brian's claim that the field actually stimulates the growth of these cells.

Here's what some other studies have found:
"There was little evidence of a relationship discovered between risk for [acute lymphoblastic leukemia] in children and exposure to magnetic fields. This study provides one of the largest comprehensive measures of magnetic field exposure in children's residencies." (Dr. Martha Linet, National Cancer Institute, 1989)

"There was no clear conclusion drawn from the data. Although the data showed some association between appliance use and leukemia, there was no consistent pattern of increasing risk with increasing exposures. The scientists speculate that the magnetic fields from electrical appliances are unlikely to increase the risk of childhood [acute lymphoblastic leukemia]." (Children's Cancer Group and National Cancer Institute)

"While there is strong evidence that high doses of ionizing radiation, such as that received from radiotherapy, can increase the risk of tumors of the central nervous system, the picture is less clear concerning possible risks posed by low doses of ionizing radiation or magnetic fields. Most studies of groups occupationally exposed to low doses of ionizing radiation have not found an increased risk of brain cancer." (Peter Inskip, Sc.D.) (Not sure what an Sc. D is, but whatever.)

"In 1980, the National Academy of Sciences conducted a 20-year followup study of 20,000 U.S. Navy personnel to determine whether sailors exposed to high intensity microwave radiation (radar) were more likely to get cancer than 20,000 sailors with no or minimal radar exposure. The study, which was published in the July 1980 issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology, found no association between radar exposure and cancer."

Also, although the media would like to use the term EMF for electromagnetic field, that term is ambiguous as when dealing with electronics EMF already refers to electromotive force, the force which moves electrons through a circuit. ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You probably have a greater health risk when living near major power lines, smoking, excess acohol consumption, excess sun exposure or drving with out a seat belt, than from our Insight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not to mention driving...

I remember watching a TV program about this. The conclusion was that ~if~ there was an effect it was very, very small. People get freaked out over the things they can't see or understand and forget the bigger problems. One example pointed out in the show was people bussing their children to another school away from the power lines, when the risk of injury due to bussing is well known and documented. Another I remember was at a flat in London during Chernobyl, with some people discussing if they should travel to Berlin, smoking heavily all the while.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If EMF was dangerous, people riding electrified subways/metros/amtrak would be falling over dead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.