Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight with manual transmission.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a new owner of a 2000 Insight with manual transmission. I’m located near Birmingham and looking for someone who knows these cars in Alabama or within a few hours. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
You might send a conversation to Natalya who is in Atlanta. She might be willing to look at your car for a small fee. Just under 3 hours over to her location. Sharp Insight owner!

That said, a lot of problems can be resolved by just starting a trouble shooting thread here. Explain your problems and any trouble codes showing on the dash. You can have those read at an Autozone for free.

Reactions: Arbus

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might send a conversation to Natalya who is in Atlanta. She might be willing to look at your car for a small fee. Just under 3 hours over to her location. Sharp Insight owner!

That said, a lot of problems can be resolved by just starting a trouble shooting thread here. Explain your problems and any trouble codes showing on the dash. You can have those read at an Autozone for free.
I’ve been interacting with a few owners posts here and in the insight Facebook group. I have code P1438, and seems a little beyond my comfort zone of skill. I am willing to pay someone who knows these cars for assistance. I will try and find her on here. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
8,848 Posts
P1438 has two subcodes, (38) and (39). You can do the dash blink codes and determine which is active. All it takes is a metal paper clip. Use this ref:

The OBDII plug on the 2000 is a bit difficult to find. It is in front of the of the transmission tunnel console, right on the floor next to the carpet, best accessed from the passenger side.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I think that's probably that tricky 'IGBT'-related problem. I think there's a couple threads talking about it, with two solutions - one a hack that might get things going, the other replacing basically the MDM (a portion of stuff on left of IMA compartment)... Here's one thread: P1438 Troubleshooting

Here's another, starting where I was trying to work out the problem: IMA Problem Solving Test..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the paperclip dash blink earlier today and shot video I’ll upload once I determine how.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok with help from FB group we think

It's an IMA error code. I get 19?, 38 & 39

19 = MPI Current Signal circuit low input
38 = MDM Overheating Circuit problem
39 = MDM Overheating.

I checked all connections to ima module (left metal module battery side looking in through trunk)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
IIRR. 1438 means the IMA battery needs help in the balancing mode.
Do you have a charger?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
^ Willie, either of the P1438s is the 'MDM overheating problem', and in the past that has usually been associated with a false overheating signal (it's not really overheating) and a faulty IGBT (a big current switching mechanism in the motor drive module)...

Wannahike, check out those two links I posted, probably the second is better. There's a few things you can check on your own. For example, check if the 'fan on the left' side of the IMA compartment is running even though the big heatsink in the middle is cool...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ Willie, either of the P1438s is the 'MDM overheating problem', and in the past that has usually been associated with a false overheating signal (it's not really overheating) and a faulty IGBT (a big current switching mechanism in the motor drive module)...

Wannahike, check out those two links I posted, probably the second is better. There's a few things you can check on your own. For example, check if the 'fan on the left' side of the IMA compartment is running even though the big heatsink in the middle is cool...
The fan on the left has never turned on and the fan on the hybrid battery fan has only come on when hooked up to the grid charger. I conducted two cycles of charge/discharge. The hybrid battery is completely charged at the moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts