1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Save Money

An alternate point of view.
MPG Illusion, gallons per mile, GPM, GPKM

Plug in the numbers and you will see not to sweat the small stuff. According to Fuelly, there is only a 3 MPG real world difference between the Prius and the Insight. Even at 4 or more bucks a gallon, the annual fuel cost and over many years is negligible. As long as you're getting at least 40 MPG per tank, you're doing great.

Our Insights are a very good bang for our buck. Feel great about your Insight Purchase. The premium people pay for a Prius will never even come close to being recouped. Even the Civic Hybrid isn't looking so hot when you consider the extra cost. Actually the regular Civic or Fit is a better bang for your buck.

BTW, I'm not advocating not trying to get the best fuel economy you can. There are environmental considerations as well. Besides, trying to get high MPG is fun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I totally agree. I did the math before buying my 2011 insight and calc'd the number of years/miles of driving I'd have to do before break even. And the insight won, of course. And I used epa miles so 40 (42 for combined driving would be fair) for the insight and 50 for the prius. When in fact fuelly shows a 4 mpg diff for the 2011's. I saved at least 3 grand and I'd never make it up. I do mostly local suburban driving, my insights forte. If I drove mostly highway, Id get less mpg. My last trip was to 5 different places, 25 miles, 58mpg, per mid. Not bad at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts