Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to fill up with gas (doesn’t happen too often) and when I put the gas cap back on, I turned it to get the three clicks, but I only got one, then it just kept turning with no clicks. I stopped and tried again and then I got more clicks. The black cover part seems a little looser than it should be. Has anyone else had this happen? Should I get a new gas cap? If so, where can I get one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, my gas cap started acting like it was stripped or something. I could never get it to tighten up properly. It caused all kinds of problems..CEL lights, misfire codes, bucking. I finally bought a new gas cap from Honda for about $30.00. I now have about 6,000 miles with no further problems. It amazed me that a gas cap could cause so many problems.

Skypig.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AH HA!

The final piece of the puzzle! (well, likely anyway <g>)

If the mechanical "click" part of the cap is broken this may allow the vent to be physically blocked. On your loooooong downhill with the evaporative emission system purging, a vacuum can occur in the tank unless fresh air is allowed in.

Then when fuel is needed a lean "hiccup" could easily happen.

One for the Twilight Zone files. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Think I will be proactive here and purchase a new gas cap. I'll see if I can find one online for cheaper.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
$30 for a gas cap?!?

Wowee, who delivered it... Jay Leno? :shock:

For the record, I wanted a gascap I couldn't lose... like the tethered one on my Dodge Big *** Van. I got to thinking and tinkering... So I unhooked the tether on the BAV's gas cap and took it to the Insight to try the fit and... lo and behold, it was a perfect fit. I drilled a hole in the Insight hinge and popped the clippy-thing end of it in the hole, and switched gas caps between the two vehicles.

That was, oh, two years and 17,000 miles ago, and no CELs, no problems, no sweat... and no lost gas caps (and one fellow Insighter who freaked out when he saw me at a gas station in Colorado and had to hear the whole story). :lol:

I assumed (yes, I know...) any correctly-threaded gas cap with the clicky device would work... I have seen none that are "pressure rated" like a cap for a radiator... right? Right? :roll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Re: $30 for a gas cap?!?

boogetyboogety said:
Wowee, who delivered it... Jay Leno?
Yes. Yes he did. Very nice man, Mr. Leno. I have seen some of his car collection, which is in a big hangar at the Santa Monica airport.

Anyway, It's doing it again! The cap is getting tight way before it reaches the bottom, so you have to really push hard and turn to get it all the way on. The CEL came back today, just as before. Honda of Santa Monica will be doing my 60,000 mile service next week and they said that it may be a problem with the filler neck or something related. They told me that it would be taken care of by the CA emissions warranty, whatever it is.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Cooool...

Yeah, get them to replace that high-dollar cap on their nickel.

By the way, since our last exchange, I asked my trusted mechanic (who used to handle my vehicles when I was a fleet manager in another life) about the gas cap on the Insight, and he said if the thread matches, then slap any gas cap on that fits and don't forget to click it down tight. There's no pressure problem, so they all work at keeping emissions in and the emissions controls happy. They're $3 at most auto supply stores, or take a walk on any sidewalk a half-block away from a busy gas station and get you one from the gutter for free... :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
2004 Fuel Filler Cap More Expensive ...

When you look up a fuel filler cap on Majestic Honda's web site for a 2004 model insight, it shows a cost of $18.41. I wonder if there is any difference as compared to the one mentioned above which only cost $5.41. I noticed the $5.41 2001 model gas cap had a different part number look than all the other part numbers on their site. Perhaps they put in an off-brand for the 2001 model year.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... =FUEL+TANK

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wonder if there is somewhere that you can buy just the string to tether the gas cap and make the modifications necessary to make it work. doesnt seem difficult.. and on ebay search for "insight" and you will see a "tethered gas cap" on there which i believe had a sticky tape at the end of the string that you are supposed to stick to the fuel door...? looks cheap...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
For some reason I think I've heard of someone using a CRV gas cap teather, sanding it down to fit just right then using some 3M molding adhesive tape to hold it to around the filler neck. The plastic divit thats already in the gas door will work well to hold the cap away from the car while fueling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Canadian Tire has gas caps

If you're in Canada you can get a replacement cap for cheap at your local crappy tire. I forgot to put my cap back on - guess because I'm out of practice at the fuel pumps - and found one for $10 (Canadian) at Canadian Tire - a fancy red one. I heard Canadian Tire was planning a U.S. invasion but not sure if they got very far..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Rick, you are probably thinking about the CR-V holder that some of us have used as described here: Gas Cap Holder

It's still hanging in there and working great!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I recently acquired a Red CVT and when I went to fill her up for the first time, the gas cap would not budge, absolutely solid. I was starting to panic wondering how the hell I was going to get it off when I realised that it has a small spring loaded trap door in the centre. And yes, it keeps the vacuum build up. No chance of me losing my gas cap or getting it dirty!

By the way, this gas cap was made in America, was fitted to a Japanese Insight, and then made its way to England......

·
Registered
133 Posts
cap loosening on its own

in the past onth or so I'd occassionally notice a gasoline smell in the car. Checking further I'm finding that the gas cap has come loose.

I've been the only one gassing up, and I'm very careful to make sure it's "clicked" on properly when I finish.

Fortunately it's still been in place and all I had to do is tighten it.

Just wondering if anyone else has been seeing this. Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
dberns -

I have an occasional gas smell in the car lately, even after I 3-clicked the gas cap. Maybe it's dirty and doesn't seal well, I'm thinking. I pushed and twisted it, and it tightened some more before resuming the clicks. I'm going to do this every time I fill up and see if I smell any more fumes.

- Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gasoline smell Inside Vehicle

Folks if you are getting a gasoline smell inside the car, it may be as simple as a little smear of liquid gasket material inside the fuel filler door. I had this oproblem and determined that there was no weatherstripping between the body side panel and the fuel filler neck. I accidently overfilled the tank (bad nozzle at the gas station) and the fuel overflowed getting gasoline on the side of my Insight. the gasoline leaked down along the right side of the fuel filler door and made it's way into the passenger compartment. Not much fuelmade it in but it smelled bad for a few days. To fix the problem, I smeared some Automotive Goop along the seam between the fuel filler area and the body panel...... It solved the problem

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought a new gas cap and that solved my problem. I don't know why.
I noticed it was worse when the tank was half-full - that's when the vapor pressure in the tank is greatest.

- Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts