1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standard Insight gear knob weighs about 300g

I replaced it with another that weighs 600g (from another car - just
went through wrecking yard until I found a heavier one with same thread
and same shift pattern). It was actually from a Suzuki Liana.

Gearchange is noticeably improved. Greater mass reduces notchiness on
changes and gives beefier feel. Slightly larger knob better fits my
hand as well.

Very simple and cheap mod with good outcome.

Julian Edgar

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
More weight than previous....Oh no... :shock: your going to get less miles
per gallon!... :D Just kidding... Since you mentioned the weight first I
thought that this was going to be a fuel efficiency post. I'm glad to see
that it turned out being a shifting mod...

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have been looking for a smaller, lighter shift knob for a while now. To increase the feel of it being a lightweight experimental-type car...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wow, you actually think the Insight's gearchange is notchy? Take a ride in a MINI Cooper S if you want notchy. We add knobs that are about a pound to help with it. To me, the Insights is nice and smooth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, you actually think the Insight's gearchange is notchy? Take a ride in a MINI Cooper S if you want notchy. We add knobs that are about a pound to help with it. To me, the Insights is nice and smooth.
[groan] Guys if you are going to be like those over at the Prius tech forum, where any implied criticism of the car is met with a chorus of "this is the best car ever in every respect", then don't expect any more posts here from me. Every car has a host of problems.

In my job I drive 30-50 new cars a year; the Insight has a moderately notchy gearbox.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
By definition Insight Central IS an Insight ENTHUSIASTS site (pro Insight).

IC _DOES_ welcome constructive criticism and does not restrict negative viewpoints, but there is a limit. If you want to "pick" at the Insight then this is not the place.

How "notchy" is it :?: Doesn't seem worth argument given the Insights design goals.

See:

F.A.Q.: IMA and Insight Design Concepts White Paper
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3174

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sorry for the offensive tone of my earlier post. I was just stating what I feel from driving both cars. I NO NOT want this to get like the Prius forums.

(OT rant) My parents own a mk II Prius and I strenuously protest to the fact that there's no driver control anywhere on that car (including the steering and that sad excuse for a sponge brake pedal :shock: ).

I'm all for modifying our cars to satisfy our personal preference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, steering in all Prius models is horrible. I've modified mine to give much better road feel. Braking ditto - modified to provide lots more regen so changes feel of brake pedal a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts