Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that are interested in how the Japanese GPS/TV/CD-Changer system looks like. Have a couple pics uploaded on my server.

http://www.vgmusic.com/personal/braxus/insightgps1.jpg
http://www.vgmusic.com/personal/braxus/insightgps2.jpg
http://www.vgmusic.com/personal/braxus/insightgpsboot.jpg

Pics are from Christian Whitley's '99 Insight (Japan Imported). Originally sent the pics to me at a resolution of 2048x1536 (!!!). Scaled it down to 800x600 to make it more bandwidth friendly. If anyone wants high res pics, let Chris or me know.

Wonder if the US Insight can be converted... :D

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Thanks very much Braxus.
I hope the pics are of interest to fellow Insighters.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the Post That would be cool to have in my us insight

·
Registered
652 Posts
Navigation

I use a Streetpilot 3. I have the following comments.

Pros:
Portable multicar use
cheaper than any OEM system
Has voice directions so you can watch the road
Great contrast in sunlight
The display automatically dims at sunset calculated from your location (not time zone)
Recalculation function is great. If you leave the route (accident, wrong turn etc, it automatically recalculates a new route)

Cons:
Portable so it has wires hanging
speaker volume could be a lot louder (amplification not recommended by garmin)
Could be faster at the calculations.

So I like the look of the OEM systems but not the location. TO me a display needs to be at eye level. If you are looking down for directions you might rear end a car in dense traffic. It would be great if there was a pop-up design on the steering column or dash. You could rase it when you need information and then keep it out of the way when you don't. Have fun

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rick...

Could you post any pictures showing how this looks in your car?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is awesome! Thanks for the post! Makes me think...ya know, for such a futuristic car, we have to settle for a AM/FM cassette radio with NO CD player!!! Doesn't make sense! BUt I am happy with the car!!!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Tonpilot said:
ya know, for such a futuristic car, we have to settle for a AM/FM cassette radio with NO CD player!!! Doesn't make sense! BUt I am happy with the car!!!
Settle for the factory stereo in the Insight? I don't know about you but on day 2 of ownership I had speakers in the mail and on their way.. already had the deck on hand. Curious... does the Insight with the navigation system still have the really bad paper speakers in it?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Rick

I am reasonably certain that my system does not have the paper speakers. I estimate I get 25-30 Watts per speaker. How does that compare to your experience with the paper speakers? Otherwise I can check at the weekend...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Magellan 750NAV in my other car, and it has the option of a multi-car use, with a tray the main unit slides into under the seat. The hockeypuck antenna would have to be installed as well, as another mount for the keypad/display. It would be on the low side height-wise, but Im going to look into the price. How much is the StreetPilot 3.1? Anyone have a link for it?

Michael

·
Registered
2,448 Posts

On the left is the factory speaker, on the right is the Infinity speaker I put in it's place. Which would you rather listen to? Hehe, anyway I'd have to say that the Insight has the absolute worst stock audio system of any car ever. Yes I would have replaced the whole system most likely anyway as stock systems never can quite satisfy my ears, but I have heard many stock systems in many various vehicles and this one takes top honors as being the worst in my ears.

Assuming the japanese version of the vehicle is the same as the US's with respect to the speaker mounts. All you have to do is wrap a flat head screw driver in a towel and insert in to the pry point and the grill should pop right off with no problems. It would be interesting to see if they use better speakers outside of the US.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Streetpilot 3

I bought mine on ebay from a avionics company (They were about 80-100 cheaper than most of the cheaper online sites). In regards to pictures mine is not built in. I put it in the car when I need it and it has a wire that plugs into the acc socket. The builtin antenna seams to work fine but you can get a magnetic external antenna (a lot of good that will do us) if you want to use it on steel cars. Have fun

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
GPS

I mounted my Garmin ColorPilot just above the cupholders on a flat aluminum stock bar, nicely finished and bent to fit the profile of the dash and the mounting device for the Garmin (think of the "L" in the Lexus logo, that's just what it looks like, with the long upright part of the L attached to the dash, and the short horizontal part of the L holding the Garmin mounting plate) attached to the plastic panel just below the radio (yes I drilled holes in the plastic and used short little bolts, works fine and it's sturdy), then removed the little finger-sized antenna, and ran a BNC extension cable (6', purchased from an electronics storefor a few bucks) from the antenna port on the GPS unit under and behind the dash to a spot just behind my inspection sticker on the windshield... hooked up the Garmin antena to the cable, and placed it on the windshield with a suction cup gadget I had leftover from some other project. Benefits: The antenna is invisible behind the sticker (unless you know to look for it) but has never failed to pick up a signal, the GPS sits low enough that prying eyes don't really see it (unless you know to look for it), it's totally removable and can be and it's easy to see while driving, and the aluminum bar is invisible when the GPS is mounted. I also have a hard-wired three-cig-lighter extension (so I can recharge cell phones, Palm Pilot, etc. on the road) under the dash, and that's where I plugged in the GPS. Works for me...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Pix coming

Sure, Resist... I gues I'll break down and finally get a digital camera... I will go get one this weekend while we're out of town, or on Monday when we're back in town. Stay tuned...

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
144 Volt Rick - I have checked my speakers this weekend and sadly I have the OEM papery speakers on my Japanese system, including rear speakers. Given the importance nearly everyone on the forum places on changing the speakers, I now feel duty bound to change my speakers. (Any excuse!).

I have looked around on the web in the UK and Eclipse speakers are not sold here. However I have found your Infinity speakers - Model 655, 60W RMS and £40 ($63) but I am concerned about the depth of them and the fact that they have four square screw holes, rather than three triangular ones.

Therefore I am more tempted by Pioneer's Model TS-G1746 which although they are only 35W RMS, they are £25 ($39), shallow basket and have triangular screw holes. Remember I have to get two pairs.

Does anyone know what the wattage of the OEM speakers are? Would the Pioneers actually be any more powerful? How easy is it to fit the square screw holed speakers such as Infinities? Presumably I am right in looking for 6.5" speakers? I would be grateful for advice.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
As far as depth I had to cut out a bunch of the plastic behind where the factory speaker went to fit the magnet in there. And yes the Infinity uses 4 screw holes rather than one. All well, they sound really nice. If I had to do it over again I would have gone a step up on their model line to the three way with the cross over... possibly the separate woofer and tweeter. The little bit I did have to cut did not effect the way in which the facroty speakers could be remounted in the car though. As far as mounting with the 4 screw's I just used the self tapping ones that came wiht the speakers and drilled, they pulled the speaker right in to the door. They mount quite nicely, and yes 6.5" speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
The GPS pics are quite nice, and the layout is extremely similar to what I'm wanting to do.
I just recently came to the conclusion that to have what I want for my Insight, I would have built a double din console for my car, which I'm not real anxious to do. The pics of the Japanese Insight is almost exactly what I had in mind, and I may not have to build anything at all knowing that the dash pieces already exist.
Does anyone have the Honda part numbers for the plastic dash shrowd around the GPS display, and any other parts up to, but not including the GPS display in the dash?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Atheos said:
Does anyone have the Honda part numbers for the plastic dash shrowd around the GPS display, and any other parts up to, but not including the GPS display in the dash?

As far as I know you can't get that piece in the US, you'd have to physically go to Japan to get it. And the dash piece also does not fit the us model, the mounting is different. Think about it, it's backwards to us.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hehehe. I'm getting married next year and my cousin lives in Australia but his long-time girlfriend now lives in Japan. They both promised to come to my wedding, and she'll be coming from Japan. Maybe I should have her purchase some seat covers and some components for the car before she comes over. :)

Just thought of that idea. Sounds quite interesting. Seriously though, if she can afford some extra room (I'll ask) I may be able to get 5 or more seat covers and a few other items that she can bring over. If we all got together a list of what we needed I could email her now and maybe she can send it in a box to one of our addresses for distrubution. It would be quicker than my wedding date of June of 04

1 - 20 of 25 Posts