Honda Insight Forum banner

Insight GPS Nav/TV System Pics

5187 Views 24 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  No. 166
For those that are interested in how the Japanese GPS/TV/CD-Changer system looks like. Have a couple pics uploaded on my server.

http://www.vgmusic.com/personal/braxus/insightgps1.jpg
http://www.vgmusic.com/personal/braxus/insightgps2.jpg
http://www.vgmusic.com/personal/braxus/insightgpsboot.jpg

Pics are from Christian Whitley's '99 Insight (Japan Imported). Originally sent the pics to me at a resolution of 2048x1536 (!!!). Scaled it down to 800x600 to make it more bandwidth friendly. If anyone wants high res pics, let Chris or me know.

Wonder if the US Insight can be converted... :D
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,341 Posts
Tonpilot said:
ya know, for such a futuristic car, we have to settle for a AM/FM cassette radio with NO CD player!!! Doesn't make sense! BUt I am happy with the car!!!
Settle for the factory stereo in the Insight? I don't know about you but on day 2 of ownership I had speakers in the mail and on their way.. already had the deck on hand. Curious... does the Insight with the navigation system still have the really bad paper speakers in it?

· Registered
2,341 Posts

On the left is the factory speaker, on the right is the Infinity speaker I put in it's place. Which would you rather listen to? Hehe, anyway I'd have to say that the Insight has the absolute worst stock audio system of any car ever. Yes I would have replaced the whole system most likely anyway as stock systems never can quite satisfy my ears, but I have heard many stock systems in many various vehicles and this one takes top honors as being the worst in my ears.

Assuming the japanese version of the vehicle is the same as the US's with respect to the speaker mounts. All you have to do is wrap a flat head screw driver in a towel and insert in to the pry point and the grill should pop right off with no problems. It would be interesting to see if they use better speakers outside of the US.

· Registered
2,341 Posts
As far as depth I had to cut out a bunch of the plastic behind where the factory speaker went to fit the magnet in there. And yes the Infinity uses 4 screw holes rather than one. All well, they sound really nice. If I had to do it over again I would have gone a step up on their model line to the three way with the cross over... possibly the separate woofer and tweeter. The little bit I did have to cut did not effect the way in which the facroty speakers could be remounted in the car though. As far as mounting with the 4 screw's I just used the self tapping ones that came wiht the speakers and drilled, they pulled the speaker right in to the door. They mount quite nicely, and yes 6.5" speakers.

· Registered
2,341 Posts
Atheos said:
Does anyone have the Honda part numbers for the plastic dash shrowd around the GPS display, and any other parts up to, but not including the GPS display in the dash?

As far as I know you can't get that piece in the US, you'd have to physically go to Japan to get it. And the dash piece also does not fit the us model, the mounting is different. Think about it, it's backwards to us.

· Registered
2,341 Posts
I gotta see this done. That would be pretty sweet. At one point I almost considered a deck for mine with the flip out screen, but I'm pretty sure it would have hit the A/C controls. Too bad no manufacturer makes one the comes out and goes down instead of up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.