Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a couple threads, one recently, about sleeping in the Insight, so I took some pictures of my 'hatch bed' and a 'tent' setup I used on a recent road trip. It worked out pretty well so I thought I should share...

First, I've thought about fabricating some great hatch tent or something like that - but it hasn't happened. So in the meanwhile, I tossed a big tarp into the hatch for this last trip. It took all of a few minutes to setup and it worked great - in non-stop rain in a rainforest.

I just threw the tarp over the hatch and rear end of roof, guyed-out the middle and one side, staked a corner, and used a rock to secure another corner. I can think of better ways to do this and they'd all work just fine:

If I had backed-up to a tree and had a bit more rope, I could have raised the tarp roof in the middle - like attached one end of the rope to the hatch latch, extended to tree and tied it there. The rope would serve as a ridge beam and create an A-frame. Then you'd guy-out the two rear corners.

The front of the tarp is just draped over the car, not attached; I have an idea of making a hook that will screw into the antenna attachment point that could be used to hook the tarp to...

Bed portion
I designed this little bed platform so that it'd sleep with head to front or rear. It's much better to rear with the hatch open. It's two pieces that simply slide together and secure with two pins (two nails, one on either side). It stores away in the hatch in a fairly unobtrusive manner...

continued...

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Note how the right leg of the front piece is a little shorter; that allows it to just fit sideways when stowed away, you'll see that in the last pic.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I used 3/4 inch plywood cuz that's what I had on hand. 1/2 inch would probably work fine and would be lighter... All the 'legs' are made from 2x4s, but I ripped them to some height (width) that I can't recall - a width that creates a level platform when laid-over the tom-mix bar... I think the rear leg might be a full 3 1/2 inches piece though...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Pretty slick! I was kinda thinking of doing something like this for Insightfest, but I think stowing a tent will be easier and more practical for me since I am 6'7".

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Nice design. Only problem I see is that the "bed" length isn't long enough to stretch out for very tall folks, like my 6'4".

The passenger seat is attached by only 4 bolts, and removal with an impact wrench is a matter of only a couple of minutes. That gives 80" total length with a small variation of your idea.

I assume that water "leakage" at the roof flows under the tarp, into the hatch flange "tray" and out over the bumper?

One wouldn't be able to set up the tarp at a Walmart, a popular stop for RVers, or a truck stop. Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Too many mosquitos where we live but it is a clever set up.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice design. Only problem I see is that the "bed" length isn't long enough to stretch out for very tall folks, like my 6'4"....
Yeah, I'm only 5'11" and my feet just hang off the end if I stretch out fully. Removing the seat is a good idea if you know you won't have passengers. Also I agree that the 'tarp' isn't ideal for all situations - not the most elegant solution for 'urban camping', for instance. To be really effective you need to guy-out the tarp corners, etc., and that means having somewhere to attach or stake those points... I didn't have any problems with rain water at the front edge; the water would hit the car roof, then roll back to the front edge of the tarp, and then over the side of the car. The tarp edge served as an effective barrier against water rolling down into the hatch gutters, never saw a drop there... It wasn't windy though, if it were I would have needed to secure the front of the tarp...

A real hatch tent would be nice - something that one could pop-up in a couple minutes, fully encloses the hatch sides, like with mesh at least, has a rain fly... Maybe I'll still try to make something out of an old tent at some point...

Bed-wise, one could probably make the rear section a little longer than I did, then distribute the difference to that little piece that fits between the seats, if you needed it to be longer cuz you're taller than 5'11". That way the two pieces would still fit in the hatch sideways...

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
We were developed/born in the fetal position, why not sleep in the fetal position.
When you are tired enough, you will be surprised that you can sleep in a lot of weird positions. Been there done that.

Willie

·
Registered
856 Posts
That's an interesting way to do it. I wonder if anyone has done it the way I plan on doing mine once I pick one up?

I am thinking since the passenger seat comes out really quickly on road trips that you could take that out and then have a platform, a board over the back area would make it all flat and then you could take a nice thick mattress pad or even a thinner memory foam mattress and cut it to fit in that area. I think it would work well for the taller crowd that voiced concerns about height issues and it would also allow you to keep the vehicle closed so you could run the climate control while you sleep.

On that note how well or not well will an insight idle for 8 hours straight? I know my Escape hybrid has no issues turning on or off and keeping things toasty while using maybe a gallon, two if it is chilly.

·
Registered
497 Posts
On that note how well or not well will an insight idle for 8 hours straight? I know my Escape hybrid has no issues turning on or off and keeping things toasty while using maybe a gallon, two if it is chilly.
I would not sleep in an idling vehicle due to concerns about carbon monoxide. This is a very real and deadly concern.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Trucks exhaust upwards through the stacks, not under the bumper where it can easily seep into an open hatch. This is an invitation to wake up dead.

Sam

·
Registered
856 Posts
I suppose if it was a really big concern you could just put a little bit of hose on the end of the exhaust with exhaust tape like they do at shops to route it out the door.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It is common for people who get stuck in blizzards to die in their cars while running the engines to keep warm. Admittedly the snow builds up and stops the natural wind and air movement from dispersing the CO. Still it's something I wouldn't risk. The car is not really sealed from the muffler area, there are openings for the IMA system cooling etc so all it takes is the right air pattern and the exhaust goes right into the car. The exhaust hose might work if you are 100% sure there are no leaks anywhere else in the system. Again not worth it IMHO, I certainly wouldn't sleep well knowing I might not wake up.

·
Linsight Designer
1,802 Posts
A word of caution: My wife and I used to sleep in the trunk (at the same time) with the hatch open. Once night the shocks failed... had any body part been in the way, the hatch would have done a real number... I recommend placing a 2x4 between the deck and hatch to prevent it from slamming on you. Maybe you're already doing this?

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
You guys must all be midgets. The cargo area is not that big.

·
vote 4 mawah
287 Posts
You guys must all be midgets. The cargo area is not that big.
I'll bet it's a lot more comfortable for some, than trying to sleep in the front seats, which is how I usually do it in my hch2 on long trips with the wife and kids/pets in the back. I still have my old CDL mentality of wanting to get to the drop by appointment time come hell or high water.
For others it's not a viable solution. Hotels/Motels friends/family places are the other typical options.
For those of us that are trying to figure out ways to get more renewable energy sources to power or lives the hardest part seems to be understanding the needs of others that are dissimilar to our own.

eq1, I like your simple adaptive approach to your insight camper solution, on the fly.
I also like your stick pair 12V lead acid replacement post. I've broken apart and resoldered a stick pair which now starts my motorcycle. My solder work is crude at best even with a new solder gun and also trying my map/oxy torch to reduce over heat/time on the cells.
I did a second stick pair this way and now my two old stick pairs are a really nice departure from the lead acid they replaced, so far, so good.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
....I also like your stick pair 12V lead acid replacement post. I've broken apart and resoldered a stick pair which now starts my motorcycle....I did a second stick pair this way....
You should mention this and post some pics in that 12V thread. Also, I've run into a couple problems I should report there, too. I don't think they get charged enough in the car and they can get drained real quick, especially when cold... They still work but not as good as they should.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/85641-shed-easy-22-lbs-stick-based-nimh-12v-battery.html#post947769

1 - 20 of 62 Posts