Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm- seems to me that many of the Insight drivers here drive at 55mph on the highway to achieve their mileage- does anyone on here drive at much faster speeds? I'm thinking about my trip to Georgia in the next few months- and I-95 is a killer with sustained speeds in excess of 80 mph... Some places the limit is 70 and if you drive at 65-70 you'll get run over by a truck- let alone 45-55mph....Estimated mileage at 75-80mph?

-Tim

·
Registered
118 Posts
55 mpg would be the minimum is my quess. That's about what I get when I'm riding it hard like that. But I do it so little, I don't have an exact figure.

·
Registered
338 Posts
ok....I'ma go out on a limb (I live dangerously :lol: )

at 75-80 I'd say you'd get about 50 mpg....maybe 45 if ya factor in AC :p

·
Registered
702 Posts
i agree with jakkedup

sometimes i wake up late for work, so end up running it hard and get about 55 mpg...but i dont do it for extended periods of time(20 miles to work)...and rarely...

plus, i have a MT, and i think that the CVT difference would be greater at higher speed...IMO

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm...think it could handle it? Or would the speed/effort required kill the batteries?

I don't own one yet (although I wish I did) and the other option is tried and true (Jetta or Golf TDI) My mothers car got 55-59mpg at 80mph w/ac and 3 people and luggage...

-Tim

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I drive normally in town, watch my instant mileage display, don't take off like a maniac, time stop lights, anticipate traffic hurdles, keep 50 pounds pressure in tires, etc. My normal "in town" mileage is 60-65mpg.

On the highway, again, I drive normally (in TX, that's 10mph over limit minimum), and at 75-80 mph, mileage drops to the low-mid 50s. My a/c has been on "econ" and 72 degrees, and has never ever been turned off, since we got the car in early 2001. My LMPG is now 56.4 mpg. And yes, it's a CVT. The battery has never run down much, even going over longish hills (I tend to put on the Rostra cruise on long drives) until my little incident a few weeks ago, resulting in Honda replacing the IMA battery and assorted controllers for same (search P1447 and P1449 for more info on this)... :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
knipdlo said:
Hmm...think it could handle it? Or would the speed/effort required kill the batteries?
In the long term such a pattern doesn't fit the design concepts of an Insight and you'll be driving in a style outside the envelope. Just what that means over the _long term_ is debateable (including the IMA batteries service life), but in general its not good.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I drove about 150 miles, WV to Pa, in the 75-80mph range a few years ago and got 52mpg. I-95 won't be as hilly, so you might do a little better, especially if you do some drafting behind a tractor trailer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
knipdlo said:
I'm thinking about my trip to Georgia in the next few months- and I-95 is a killer ... and if you drive at 65-70 you'll get run over by a truck- let alone 45-55mph
I regularly drive to GA from south FL and back in my Civic hybrid, I go 60 on 95, and really it isn't as bad as you might think, as far as being run over is concerned. I make sure to stick to the right lane. Give it a try sometime, you might be surprised. I will warn you though, if you've got a iFCD you'll surely get addicted to going slow. It's hard going back to going faster when you know what kind of mileage you could be getting if you slow down a bit.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
I've been across country "coast to coast" and back at least once a year since purchasing my Insight in 2001.
I've posted each trip, with mileage, under the "Turbocharghed Insight" thread.
Speeds were mostly run at or above the speed limit.
Mileage WILL definately be better WEST to EAST and NORTH to SOUTH.
Too many factors to take into consideration to say that your mileage at 75-80 will exactly be (x).
A large part of my trips are experimental, with hypermileing, drafting, etc. done. It's always a lot of fun and a challenge.

Willie

·
Registered
495 Posts
... hard going back to going faster when you know what kind of mileage you could be getting if you slow down a bit.
Could be I've had "The Silver Bullet" too long but I agree. Besides, do those "fast runners" really get there all that much sooner than I do? In most cases I suspect the answer is - no.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet" :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I hear the "you will be killed if you go that slow..." arguments at work all the time. But from actual experience driving the freeways around Michigan, I've found it to be just the opposite. People think they are in control when they are zipping along at 80mph competing with all the others who want to go just one more mph faster than you. On my bi-weekly 220 mile trip "up-north", I would fight and claw all the way and get there in 3.5 hours when driving around 80mph a great deal of the time. Now, in my Insight, I hit 55mph max, stay in the right lane, count the blades of grass on the side of the road, and get there in 4.5 hours. I'm 200% more relaxed, I have 300% less "close encounters" with maniacs, and plus I get amazing mileage. My best 4.5 hour trip is in my signature. I do speed up when a semi-trailer comes up and can't pass me immediately. So I am a courteous driver.

Bottom line is, unless it's an emergency, I'd go for less stress and better mpg over driving time spent. Besides, it's time the USA was sent a wake up call, and realize that >55mph just doesn't fit our current situation with global warming, etc.

·
Registered
685 Posts
JakkedUp said:
I do speed up when a semi-trailer comes up and can't pass me immediately.
I discovered it helps to pop on the hazard flashers for a few cycles when a speeding semi is still about 1/4 to 1/3 mile back. Gives them more time to find a gap in the next lane to the left and slip into it rather than examining my rear bumper. Less stress for everyone.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I usually drive 65-80 on freeways, depending on conditons. The Insight handles it fairly well. Over long distances, 65 on the flat can be problematic for me: I try to stay in 5th for best mpg, but if there's a headwind or the road's rough, the IMA will keep cutting in. Especially on hills, dropping to 3rd will keep the revs up, and I think I do get better mpg in a climb if I keep speed & revs up.

I'll average around 70 mpg on a round trip between my home (near Reno) and the SF Bay Area. This is about 500 miles round trip, with about 200 being freeway, 200 winding mountain roads, and the rest straight rural highway with 55 mph limits outside the several small towns.

One suggestion for dealing with truck traffic is to find one (even a slower one, if you can) and tuck in behind. Not drafting necessarily, but close enough that overtaking vehicles will see him, if not you :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've just done a half dozen trips between NYC and (beyond) Ann Arbor, Michigan - about 750 miles each way. I've been travelling at the highway traffic flow speeds, which are somewhat in excess of the posted limits.

My real mileage has been 45+ on the trip west, and hovering around 50 on the trip back.

(2001 CVT)

Note that the air temperature makes a very noticable difference (cold temps cut mileage). And you'll get better mileage using "real" gasoline (where available) as opposed to RFG, so if you're doing this sort of stuff steadily try to pick and choose which part of the trip you'll gas up in.

Oh, you'll also get clobbered in bad weather, espcially sno on the roadway.

(Of course, make sure your tires are properly inflated, you've removed excess weight, etc., etc.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
At the end of last summer I got the worst mileage ever on a trip to Bakersfield from the Bay Area. 42 MPG. It is over 100 degrees outside most of the trip. The AC was on, I had a passenger and a truck full of luggage, and I averaged 90 MPH. I don't think it can get worse than that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A month or so ago I drove from Austin TX to Iowa City, IA (1100 miles) in one day. I did the speed limit (usually 75MPH) in cold weather with a head wind. Average MPG 55.
On the trip down, I took 2 days, Used the backroads, and had a tail wind. Average MPG 75.

·
Registered
495 Posts
... 42 MPG ... over 100 degrees ... AC was on ... had a passenger ... tunk full of luggage ... averaged 90 MPH. I don't think it can get worse than that.
You could have been driving a Ford :)

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've found that on highway trips the difference between driving 80 and 65 is when you stop to use the restroom you don't lose any time. that's it, generally.

and this may sound flip, but it helps me to merge onto NJ highways and drive in the truck lanes on the turnpike to remember my motto: no one wants to get into an accident!

all that said, I usually drive between 65 and 75 on the highway and the car can take it. if the roads are really hilly you will drain your battery with assist, though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts