Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I was rear ended by a drunk driver who was driving appx. 110mph on the freeway. I was going 55mph. Here is a pic of my car. I spun around a couple of times, and I am glad to say I am alive. I walked away with not even a scratch on my body. Howevr, I was a bit shocked and everything I had was internal. The important thing is I am alive and walking. I love my insight and yes, I AM getting another one! Here are the pics.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b33/setrak/1h.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b33/setrak/2h.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow.

Forget the Hummer for protection, buy an aluminum Insight. 110MPH accident to the rear and you walked away from it? That's amazing. Glad you're alright, just wish there were less drunk drivers on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok

yeah, well, the guy hit me so hard I did not know what was happening since he was driving a big lexus and traveling at twice my speed, it was a big inelastic collision in a way. My car was featherlight compared to his. As soon as he touched my car, everything electric in my car shutoff tight away and for that reason I freaked out since I taught maybe my batteries exploded for no reason. I remember hearing the noise of my tires since I was 1/2 airborne and occasionally touching the ground at the same time while spinning. Once the car stopped I sort of woke up from being out of it for a few secs and I realized I might have been in an accident. Anyways, I did not know what had happened until I was in the ambulance. The guy that hit me was also driving on a suspended license and no insurance. Now, I am trying to get a gr8 deal on another 5 speed insight with low miles. I am going to keep looking to find a cheap one 5-7k since I lose a lot in that accident, including my car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Technically, it was a 55 mph accident, not a 110 mph one because both vehicles were moving the same direction. Also, it isn't as bad as a "55 mph" accident, again because the cars are moving in the same direction, so the time it takes the car to stop is much much greater. This reduces the impulse force (the reason for those buckets in front of objects on the highway, it makes the car slow down over a longer (granted maybe only 0.5 secs longer) time).

But still, what must have been a horrific accident. Great to see the Insight didn't lose control or flip (nice low center of gravity). Incredible damage. Glad to read that you walked away!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
accident

Well, I am not sure if he was going over 110mph. There is a possibility he was because the witness in the next lane was going 90 mph and he said he saw the drunk driver fly past him. that was so funny because he got a big ticket for it too. The drunk driver was falling asleep and he served from the 2nd lane over, cut off one person and out of all the people on the freeway, he had to pick the prettiest car, mine! As if I had a big target sign on me saying HIT ME, HIT ME, hehheh! Well, I really miss having the most hi tech car on the road as I call it. To the last day, every person on the road looks at you like you are driving a car from the future. I miss getting excellent gas mileage. I was getting 64mpg-65mpg and I could not get better since I guess I was in Los Angeles and due to the terrain. I feel the never models get better mileage. No matter what, I will definitely get a stick shift again because I know they get better gas mileage. I miss coasting on the freeway in the carpool lane, also I miss drifting behind big rigs. I remember I drove my car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and almost back with one fillup. Its the gr8test thing ever made. It had everything I needed, and I am the person that loves having my cool toys!

·
Registered
143 Posts
And the car was/is significantly safe for it's passengers as noted in your recent experience. It's really sad that you lose the car in this. But of course, better the car than you, indeed. The guy is probably lucky you were too stunned to know what happened and strangle him for destroying your car. :eek:

You'll get to live on, trying to explain away how someone mentioned to another that you got banged in the rear by some drunk guy. :lol:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: ok

... The guy that hit me was also driving on a suspended license and no insurance.
For what it's worth, odds are that he has "hidden assets", assets which if you consult with a competent attorney, you may be able to attach.

I offer the above as in addtion to what little the civil courts there in California may do to the individual, on your own can quite possibly do him a lot more damage than you realize, and at the same time do the rest of us a big favor by helping keep the idiot off the road (and perhaps in jail) for quite some time to come.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
46 Posts
A typical story of a drunk driver, with suspended license and no insurance. I'm starting to wonder if we'll be able to automate cars to the point of where it checks whether you have insurance and a valid license, then refuses access if you do not. Hell, throw in a breathalyser test for the drunks.

Some people should just not be allowed to drive, ever.

Also, sue the pants off this deadweight. :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if we'll be able to automate cars to the point of where it checks whether you have insurance and a valid license, then refuses access if you do not.
I work in the auto industry and I hear ideas like this a lot. Car makers won’t be in a hurry to do this as they want the drunks to buy cars (hey there better repeat customers than the rest of us). My personal issue with this idea is that it lets them off to easy. Refusing to start is not sufficient, there should be a fido shocker built in to the seat. Passengers seat as well (OK, I’ll let the kids in the back seat off the hook). :badgrin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm surprised it hasn't actually happened yet. Forget the shock, just waft a nice sleeping gas into the vehicle so the guy tries to start the car and he passes out, best way to not hurt them and when they wake up, they realize how stupid they were. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hov

so I have 2 more hov stickers. Is it legal to put them on the car I get next since they ran out of permits? What is the fine? I will keep them anyways.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Any possibility of saving the battery pack? Was it damaged? An incredible accident for sure - you're definitely lucky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
battery pack

the metal was crumpled up all around. I could not get anything out of the trunk. All I was able to get was the folder with the maintenance records and the HOV stickers. The towing company had the car and until I found out that the guy was drunk and uninsured and driving without a license the fees to get the car were ridiculously high so I had to let it go.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I'm very glad to hear you survived reasonably intact. Do get yourself checked out completely, and soon. This is extremely important in case there are health issues that evidence themselves with time. You deserve every consideration of compensation. Keep every record. If you hesitate some high paid lawyer working for the Lexus owner or the insurance company will claim that resulting health issues have nothing to do with the accident as there is no consistent thread of evidence.

Thanks for posting. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Glad to hear you survived -- what a mess! Bad drivers suck, and drunk drivers are the worst of all. I hope everything works out for you in the end; being in LA, I know how hard it is to find a used Insight (I looked for a while when mine was stolen in December, but luckily I got mine back).

As for the HOV stickers, I think you can get replacements from the DMV. Not new stickers (as they don't issue those anymore, at least not for the rest of this year), but actual replacements. If you look on the application for the stickers, there is a checkbox for "Replacement (Reason:)":
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf

More info:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm
"The 85,000 Clean Air Vehicle Stickers (yellow) that VC §5205.5 allows for hybrid vehicles have been assigned. Original Clean Air Stickers will no longer be issued to hybrids; however, substitute stickers may be issued if the original is damaged."

Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
WOW. It is great news to hear that you are ok. The passenger compartment of the car stayed very intact. I'll have to show your pics to my fiancee who is always nervous riding in such as small car, especially around I95 in Miami, where it is common to see SUVs flipped over on the side of the road on a daily basis.

I would ask the prosecutor to have restitution to you (or your insurance company) for your damage a condition of his probation once he gets convicted. Otherwise, it's unfortunately likely neither you or your insurance will see a dime.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
As long as you have decent full coverage insurance you don't need to worry about going after the guy yourself. Your Insurance company will take care of it for you.

And glad to hear you walked away from the accident relatively unharmed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad you are okay! Anyone else having Deja Vu? Didn't this exact same story (In L.A.) happen to one of our other members last year? Maybe I'm crazy... ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts