Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Nor do they want rims any less than 17 inches go travel less than 15 over the posted speed limit.

Ive met your average Joe who drives an insight. Sometimes its by mistake, somethings its chance. They get 42 mpg if they run the ac. :confused: Still on par with a gen 2 prius and about twice what they would get in a non hybrid.

With use of ac and keeping up with traffic the gen 2 gets better than the gen1 in mpg and hauls twice as many people.

·
Registered
556 Posts
People are incapable of driving anything other than a 4000lb+ cardboard box with a high center of gravity, faux bling, infotainment center to distract them, all sitting on clown like oversized tires and rims with an oversized motor capable of bringing the lead slug to 120mph.

If it doesn't look like a strange hermaphrodized minivan its unattractive to the buying public because you must buy a car based on looks and feeling and not actual usefull characteristics.

Sadly getting people to change beliefs is nearly impossible without some type of pain.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
With use of ac and keeping up with traffic the gen 2 gets better than the gen1 in mpg and hauls twice as many people.
I was with you up to this point. If you have a car full and go as passenger MPG sure, but no way in raw MPG.

·
Registered
894 Posts
no it doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
6,890 Posts
Because of three or four major fatal constraints consumers put on their buying decision which discourages manufacturers. First, they have til now been unwilling to pay the extra cost of lightweight materials. Second, aerodynamic efficiency is totally misunderstood in the market place and genuine effective cars are viewed as ugly. Third, there is a total lack of understanding of the efficiency of high load small engines. Fourth, every buyer seems to demand that their commuting car carry 4-5 in comfort, even though they seldom carry a passenger:(

·
Super Moderator
6,890 Posts
People are incapable of driving anything other than a 4000lb+ cardboard box with a high center of gravity, faux bling, infotainment center to distract them, all sitting on clown like oversized tires and rims with an oversized motor capable of bringing the lead slug to 120mph.
+ 2 ;)

Need more characters, so, again,

+2 ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Another reason is that the majority of people have no conception about anything, and a total lack of gray matter. They wouldn't possibly calculate the savings, or evaluate their needs. The same applies to the government, who would prefer to (In the UKs case anyway): incentivise efficient vehicles a bit, but prefer people to buy inefficient and pay the additional tax because it generates more money for them... which is a policy that works well in their case.

Another reason is that people have this misconception that driving an SUV makes them safer, gives you a better image, a better view of the road, and are better in snow. In the south of the UK we get 1-2 weeks of snow a year, if that. What are the suburbs of London full of... traffic and over-sized SUVs with one person in and one kid in the back playing some app on an iPad.

I have also had to point out to a few of my friends that the 4WD SUVs they think they are driving are actually 2WD only, and because you never read any of the literature that came with your car, you would never know that unless I told you.

-No, my car is definitely 4WD.
- Trust me, it isn't.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Good Advertising can totally trump making good decisions. SUV "active lifestyle" vehicle ads on TV are great to watch, showing off road adventures and other incredibly fun destinations like spirited snow covered climbs to mountain resorts.

That's why Florida's roads are full of all wheel drive SUVs. Pretty good proof those advertisers can hit their targets. Especially in an area where the most extreme off road adventure on a day to day basis might be a drive out to the mall parking lot. That seems like 99% of their destinations on most days. Ludicrous. But they sure do drive around in a bunch of serious off road hardware in that state. :rolleyes:

Those advertisers are not only able to sell ice to residents of the Arctic, they could probably sell home furnaces to the people in Fiji.

Most cars never see more than 1 occupant on any given commute. Go to any city and drive the rush hour on any Interstate. Very few cars will have more than one person in it.

It's not about fuel efficiency or necessity. It's image most of the time. Those slick ads on TV do work well. If you do really need a big all wheel drive vehicle to get to work or whatever then it's justified.

I've always justified a small, high MPG car to commute and do most of my driving. Has worked out just fine over 40 years of living, working, and playing in the mountains where it snows a lot.

I didn't think at any moment that the 1st gen Insight was anything but a very cool car design. Perfect commuter and even good enough for trips. Certainly had enough room in the hatch. A two seater car is not everyone's idea of the ideal car, but there's nothing bad about not having more seats, if you're generally alone during a commute anyway. It is too bad that Honda didn't decide to update and push the 1st gen Insight. Seems like the once preeminently great engineering car company chickened out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Honda Fit Hybrid 80+/mpg, sold in Japan, Asia, Europe, think we can get it in the US, in your dreams even though Honda Fits sell well in the US. They've been talking about bringing them to the US for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
how many people have asked me what kind of mpg i get in my insight since i bought it?

none.

my ex actually loves to drive it but now with the dead IMA probably not so much. the fact she can barely manage 50mpg doesn't even phase her, i jump back in and turn off the A/C and get it back up to 70+mpg and enjoy the fact i can drive wherever i want for 3 weeks on 10 gallons of gas.

even if you drive it like a normal car you still will net twice the mpg as most other cars around you, in some cases 3 times or higher!

my RX7 gets miserable gas mileage in stop and go traffic, i'd wager less than 10mpg. traffic and stoplights don't even phase the mpg in the insight, it still gets over 70.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Money not wasted on burning up gasoline is money in the bank:!::!: A lot of people don't think about gasoline burned at a stop light going nowhere equalls money burned for nothing.

The foolish and their money are soon parted. That's a true saying most of the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts