Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved from Southern California to Utah and although I have driven other cars in the snow I have never had my Insight in the snow. I have a 2001 5 Speed with stock tires. Can anyone tell me how the car reacts in the snow and if any modifications need to be made for winter driving (ie Different tires or pressures changes)? I currently run my tires at 42 PSI front and 40 PSI rear.

Thank you in advance for you help.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
In winter conditions, winter tires are a must for safety even with all wheel drive cars. Those that use "all season tires" in winter don't know what they are missing!

In snow and ice conditions it's best to lower your tire pressures to 30 - 35 psi for maximum grip. For driving fast when the roads are clean and dry pump them up to 40 - 45 psi.

I would only use 50 psi in the summer, spring and fall.

In very icy conditions rally cars use 25 psi in their winter tires!

·
Registered
569 Posts
BlueFlash said:
I recently moved from Southern California to Utah and although I have driven other cars in the snow I have never had my Insight in the snow. I have a 2001 5 Speed with stock tires. Can anyone tell me how the car reacts in the snow and if any modifications need to be made for winter driving (ie Different tires or pressures changes)? I currently run my tires at 42 PSI front and 40 PSI rear.

Thank you in advance for you help.
I live in WV and drive to work in Northern Va, about 60 miles, and we couldn't have had a worse winter than we had last year. I didn't miss one day of work, while a co-worker who lives nearby, and has a big Dodge Dakota and a Lincoln Town Car, missed quite a bit because of the snow. Don't know how he affords to pay for all that gas he's using! I had no problems and was amazed at how well the little light car handled the snow. The only problem I had was snow collecting under the car since it's so low and 8-12 inches of snow is pretty high. As Guillermo said, lower your tire pressure to at least the mid 30's and you should be fine. And I used stock tires, not winter tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts