Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Very nice. Questions:
1. What is the general consensus of the way this car was put together? Sam (rainsux) and Scott (kyl3cyl) I'd really like your opinion on this.
2. I always thought you could not get a RHD Insight into the US due to DOT requirements. How did he get this plated? Anyone else ever seen a RHD Insight registered in the US? Could there be a problem titling this in another state? (IN).
3. Assuming you had a regular RHD insight here in the US, what would it take in time and money to produce this car?
4 Are all Ksight swaps turbopowered?
5. Anyone remember what other Ksights have sold for in the past? I thought those cars were $15-20k min?
6. Why is that hood tweeked? Engine too tall at the firewall area?
This car is starting to turn my crank. Very interested but need some some answers.
Gerald

·
Registered
762 Posts
This is someones car on the forum, i just cant remember who. Galevin I say get it. I was thinking about it. I have always wanted one, at the same time just be aware you are buying a Frankenstein it will have complications.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Taylor,
I've got enough problem cars to last me for 10 lifetimes and all I need is another car with problems. This car is a 'Frankinsight'.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
227 Posts
Very nice. Questions:
1. What is the general consensus of the way this car was put together? Sam (rainsux) and Scott (kyl3cyl) I'd really like your opinion on this.
2. I always thought you could not get a RHD Insight into the US due to DOT requirements. How did he get this plated? Anyone else ever seen a RHD Insight registered in the US? Could there be a problem titling this in another state? (IN).
3. Assuming you had a regular RHD insight here in the US, what would it take in time and money to produce this car?
4 Are all Ksight swaps turbopowered?
5. Anyone remember what other Ksights have sold for in the past? I thought those cars were $15-20k min?
6. Why is that hood tweeked? Engine too tall at the firewall area?
This car is starting to turn my crank. Very interested but need some some answers.
Gerald
Hi Galevin, let me answer some of your concerns

You cant really analyze how well this car was put together unless someone who knows about the k20 insight swaps thoroughly looks over it in person and ask questions to the owner. It does look like the shock towers were modified a bit to fit a suspension on the insight by looking over the pictures. Personally I dont like that part.

All K-swaps arent turbocharged. You have to remember there are many variances of the K-series motors. This one is the K24A1 which came out of a accord, element, and crv US model which boasts roughly 160hp and 160lbft of torque. This is a good motor because static compression on this particular motor is low roughly 9.5:1 which makes it a good choice to turbocharge the motor. also this motor is relatively affordable because it is not in high demand due to horsepower output.

The price for a K-swap generally run how well mechanically inclined you are. Assuming just parts alone and no labor, you are looking between $6-8K maybe depending if you can get a good deal on the motor and which motor you decide to use. if you have a reputable shop to do it, youre looking at double that roughly.

The hood isnt tweaked. just like you stated, it is propped higher to clear either the engine or sidewinder turbo manifold it has mounted. it also looks like the original hood latch had to be removed because of clearance issues of the intake manifold, thats why the car is using custom hood latches.

but ofcourse swaps comes with its own complications. there might be a huge amount of learning curve if someone inexperienced decides to buy a car of this caliber.

i personally dont buy heavily modified cars such as this one that has been converted to RHD as well, due to the fact that when a problem occurs whether its tuning related, electrical bugs, or just anything in general, it can become a nightmare to deal with issues due to the fact that the buyer wasnt personally there when the swap process was taking place so you wont know what exactly has been done, where the harness was routed, how the pins were rearranged etc. so fixing a potential problem in the future can become time comsuming, drain morale, drain your wallet, and also become a nightmare for other shops.

i suggest you do a lot of research before so youll know what youre getting yourself into

this is all from personal experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
PM Sent.

Sam

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
J.K. Really appreciate the answers. Interesting that this car was converted to RHD. Wonder why that was done? You would think the owner/modifier would have his hands full with the K20 and turbo swap. Seems like a ton of money and time was put into this car. Along with its positives this car surely has some hidden negatives to surprise the new owner.
Gerald

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Does anyone remember this car from this forum? I'd like to read the postings from this member to learn more.
Thanks, Gerald

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Its not converted to RHD, its actually imported from Japan.

Unfortunately it has been modified 2 times, so probably lots of things not original, so its not worth much as a collectible JDM car (probably the only one in usa though).

It was turboed first by the user (rhdinsight):
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/16317-turboing-rhd-insight-turbo-kit-stock-dyno-numbers.html

Then He sold it:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/buy-sell-insight-related-items/16673-fs-turboed-rhd-insight-lhd-wrecked-insight-asking-8k-both.html

The person who bought it (revtech) sold the original engine and turbo stuff:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/buy-sell-insight-related-items/30833-2000-jdm-rhd-part-out-turbo-kit-low-miles.html

Revtech then did the K24 turbo conversion:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/49842-turbo-k24-rhd-honda-insight.html

I'm not sure if there was a 3rd buyer between rhdinsight and revtech, because in the k24 thread revtech mentions buying the car for $2500, but RHDinsight ad posted here was for $8k for 2 it+parts car.

About the hood propped up in the back, it doesnt seem that its due to clearance, because in the pictures it looks like the engine has plenty of clearance and is in line with the shock towers. Its possibly raised for the purpose of a engine cooling.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Wow like this. Seems to me like they took the vin plates off a 2006 insight (so illegal)
He says " The Vin number to this car is a chassis code ZE1-1100193 listed on title".

So I dont know why he posted the 2006 vin number. I am guessing its some ebay thing that it has to be a recognizable 17 digit vin number in order to list a car on eBay. Japanese cars dont have that.

·
Registered
567 Posts
He says " The Vin number to this car is a chassis code ZE1-1100193 listed on title".

So I dont know why he posted the 2006 vin number. I am guessing its some ebay thing that it has to be a recognizable 17 digit vin number in order to list a car on eBay. Japanese cars dont have that.
Now the real question is if the cars original vin numbers legally on the title?

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
02Insight,
Many thanks for the detailed info above. Helped to answer a lot of my questions. I see you have known about this car for quite a long time as you are listed in the above threads that go back as far as 2008. Really appreciate the help.
Gerald

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Looks nice, but Im 2 years away from buying something like that. Thats got to be strange to have everything on the right vs left for most Americans to drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts