Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car shown below is the UFE-II (Ultra Fuel Efficient), developed by Daihatsu (a sub-brand of Toyota), to act as a showcase for what is achievable with Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive system. Unveiled at last years Tokyo Motorshow, the UFE-II achieved a remarkable 60km/litre on the Japan 10-15 mode drive cycle, which is equivalent to 140mpg (170mpg, UK)!

The drivetrain is a 660cc Atkinson cycle petrol engine mated to two electric motors and a nickel-metal hydride battery – so is likely to be a scaled down version of the system used in the Prius. The body is made of aluminum and resin, such that the entire vehicle weighs only 570 Kg. This is a remarkable achievement in itself, as the UFE-II has been designed to seat 4 adults!

Of particular interest, however, is the aerodynamic coefficient, which at 0.19 is the lowest seen on any road car since general motors EV1.

Aircraft designers and aerodynamicists have a saying “If it looks right, it’ll fly right.” To my eyes at least, for a 4-seater car, this has to be as good as it gets! 8)

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Very similar to the IMAS, in fact it is almost a copy! :x

However, if that is the most efficient shape, then I am sure many more cars will look like that in future too. Let's hope Honda can get the IMAS in production before any competitors steal their thunder.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's called a Kamm tail. THe Insight has one too. Some designers found a while back that past a certain point, there wasn't much to be gained from tapering the tear-drop shape all the way back. If the shape stops abruptly, for some reason the airflow beyond the rear still stays fairly laminar, and hence drag doesn't suffer too much. Pretty handy!

·
Registered
348 Posts
clett said:
It's called a Kamm tail. THe Insight has one too. Some designers found a while back that past a certain point, there wasn't much to be gained from tapering the tear-drop shape all the way back. If the shape stops abruptly, for some reason the airflow beyond the rear still stays fairly laminar, and hence drag doesn't suffer too much. Pretty handy!
"a while back".... was in the 1930s; and.. "some designers" was Wunibald Kamm
Some cars:
-Audi Quattro
-Audi 100 (5000 or 10000??) Avant
-Audi A2
-Honda CRX
-Honda Insight

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

About the tires (and from our experience in the Insight), those tires will have a lot of pressure in them, surely above 50 psi and will not make a comfortable ride on real world roads.

I bet braking a wheel will cost a lot. Here the price of an Insight wheel is about $700 cnd while a steel rim is about $40.

And the rear passengers are probably going to be very tight.

For size and comfort, I think that car makers can not go farther than the Insight if they want to sell and not stay a concept car.

Improvement in the drivetrain is the only way to go.

My 2 cents.
Yves.

·
Registered
124 Posts
thanx for that airodynamics lesson.
it must have small batteries...you can see the storage and people space in the pics...looks nice (sry, i might be a little biast, big toyota fan)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Clett:

___This might help … EPA’s Top 10 for 2004 in gas mileage and Suzuki Twin – first Hybrid mini-car.

___I thought I had seen an online article recently about the Daihatsu UFE-II on an EV site with a post date of 2001? I wish I had bookmarked the article/site but if so, this is the longest running Auto show Prototype I have ever heard of.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2rzcv13j][email protected][/email:2rzcv13j]

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Clett:

___That wasn’t the site but it looks very familiar so it might be the same? After thinking about it, the other site showed the Daihatsu with gull wing doors as well? In either case, how come this vehicle isn’t here in the US right now? I would love to have a 4 seater with all the latest safety HW and that kind of economy … if it’s relatively inexpensive. I just hope it can get up to 60 in < 13 seconds or so and it loses the Gull wing doors.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:t5zc9yqd][email protected][/email:t5zc9yqd]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here's the official site for the UFE II

http://www.daihatsu.com/motorshow/tokyo ... index.html

The rear wheel track looks almost 8" narrower than the front. I bet this car is really squirly on heavily rutted roads.

Granted, it's an interesting concept but you have to admit it doesn't look very original. It's basically a direct copy of the Insight. I guess imitation is the greatest form of flattery but come on...

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Did you guys spot the wheel & tyre size? 115/65R16 :shock:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Silver Streaker:

___Nice catch on the tire size … Notice the sidewall height? I bet this UFE is one rough riding SOB … Then again, I am running 52 #’s on the Insight all around myself ;)

___The other item shown in your link:
The ultra-lightweight body, fashioned in composite with plentiful doses of aluminum highlighting …
___No wonder the UFE/UFE-II has never been released to the public in a form we can all afford. These Auto show inspired automobiles have to be built of std. every day materials like the HCH and Prius’ are currently or they might as well be spitting into the wind. Look at the 3 LCD’s in it … That is going to be a bit expensive, isn’t it? And the gull wing doors? Considering how ugly the rest of the Daihatsu line is, I am sure they wanted to make an Auto show statement but the first time you open those doors on a snowy, rainy, and or windy day, it is quite simply a show stopper. Bring back the EV-1 with today’s hopeful cost savings applied :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:12auo2dn][email protected][/email:12auo2dn]

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

And notice where the rear wheels are, definitly less distance between the rear. Rear and front wheels do not share the same track (as per the Insight, they are off centered)

The car is very narrow in the back for the passengers.

Yves.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Did you guys spot the wheel & tyre size? 115/65R16
Even if a tire company were to produce such a tire could you imagine having to replace one if it gets a flat?

A. no one local will carry that size
B. they are gonna be expensive
C. It's gonna be super hard to mount (my 205/40 16's took almost an hour to mount, can you say NO sidewall flex)

I would think such a tire would have to be a molded on tire.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oops! Just noticed I wasn't meant to post pictures not of the Insight. I hosted them on my own site - so thought it would only affect my own bandwidth. But I just read that using the img function might use up bandwidth on the forum server - is this right? Do pics get loaded to the forum server if they're hosted somewhere else? If so... sorry! :roll:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts