Honda Insight Forum banner

Insight look-alike achieves 140mpg!

6141 Views 28 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  meow77
The car shown below is the UFE-II (Ultra Fuel Efficient), developed by Daihatsu (a sub-brand of Toyota), to act as a showcase for what is achievable with Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive system. Unveiled at last years Tokyo Motorshow, the UFE-II achieved a remarkable 60km/litre on the Japan 10-15 mode drive cycle, which is equivalent to 140mpg (170mpg, UK)!

The drivetrain is a 660cc Atkinson cycle petrol engine mated to two electric motors and a nickel-metal hydride battery – so is likely to be a scaled down version of the system used in the Prius. The body is made of aluminum and resin, such that the entire vehicle weighs only 570 Kg. This is a remarkable achievement in itself, as the UFE-II has been designed to seat 4 adults!

Of particular interest, however, is the aerodynamic coefficient, which at 0.19 is the lowest seen on any road car since general motors EV1.

Aircraft designers and aerodynamicists have a saying “If it looks right, it’ll fly right.” To my eyes at least, for a 4-seater car, this has to be as good as it gets! 8)
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's called a Kamm tail. THe Insight has one too. Some designers found a while back that past a certain point, there wasn't much to be gained from tapering the tear-drop shape all the way back. If the shape stops abruptly, for some reason the airflow beyond the rear still stays fairly laminar, and hence drag doesn't suffer too much. Pretty handy!

· Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oops! Just noticed I wasn't meant to post pictures not of the Insight. I hosted them on my own site - so thought it would only affect my own bandwidth. But I just read that using the img function might use up bandwidth on the forum server - is this right? Do pics get loaded to the forum server if they're hosted somewhere else? If so... sorry! :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.