Honda Insight Forum banner

Insight look-alike achieves 140mpg!

6141 Views 28 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  meow77
The car shown below is the UFE-II (Ultra Fuel Efficient), developed by Daihatsu (a sub-brand of Toyota), to act as a showcase for what is achievable with Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive system. Unveiled at last years Tokyo Motorshow, the UFE-II achieved a remarkable 60km/litre on the Japan 10-15 mode drive cycle, which is equivalent to 140mpg (170mpg, UK)!

The drivetrain is a 660cc Atkinson cycle petrol engine mated to two electric motors and a nickel-metal hydride battery – so is likely to be a scaled down version of the system used in the Prius. The body is made of aluminum and resin, such that the entire vehicle weighs only 570 Kg. This is a remarkable achievement in itself, as the UFE-II has been designed to seat 4 adults!

Of particular interest, however, is the aerodynamic coefficient, which at 0.19 is the lowest seen on any road car since general motors EV1.

Aircraft designers and aerodynamicists have a saying “If it looks right, it’ll fly right.” To my eyes at least, for a 4-seater car, this has to be as good as it gets! 8)
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
609 Posts
clett said:
Of particular interest, however, is the aerodynamic coefficient, which at 0.19 is the lowest seen on any road car since general motors EV1.
Back in the 1980's Ford designed a Prove with a 0.16 drag coefficient. Sorry I don't have a picture, but it looked *exactly* like a teardrop.

And no you didn't use bandwidth. When you use the command it links directly to YOUR website.

I think VW had the right idea with their 1-Liter car. By making the car only one seat wide, you lower the frontal area, and therefore don't need a lot of power. When oil becomes scarce, I bet almost all cars will be only one seat wide.

· Premium Member
2,099 Posts
In 1988 and 1989 Cadillac produced the Solitaire and Voyage, 200 MPH show cars with "amazing" drag coeficients of 0.28. The front wheel fairings moved out from the body of the car when the wheels were turned. The voyage weighed 3,800 pounds with a 6.6 litre engine producing 430 HP and 470 ft. Lb. of torque.

· Registered
609 Posts
clett said:
The front wheelarches are covered over flush... how does it steer? They used fabric that stretches as the wheels turn!
I want one. It's obvious we have to drive these kinds of air-efficient cars to save oil.

Also, correction to my previous: It's 0.15 cd!

· Registered
282 Posts
The Silver Streaker said:
Let's hope Honda can get the IMAS in production before any competitors steal their thunder.
Honda has about 300 patents with the Honda Insight, I hope they will keep it that way, and don't sell it !!! :wink:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.