Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2010 with 77000 miles, seems to be in solid shape. After a bit of looking around this site and the service history, it seems I definitely need a trans fluid change, software update check, and wider tires. May also get a new 12v after some closer inspection. Are there any other items I'm missing that would be unique to this car? Oil, brake fluid will/has been done. Thanks for all the help y'all have already provided.

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
Welcome. Learn to use the search tool first;)

If you search on "Maintenance schedule" using the google bar, top left, you will find a number to threads on the subject, one of which is for the G2 Insight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is there any reason to not search by the 2nd gen forum, on the right on the forum pages? That's what I've been doing before I posted this thread. In addition to what I originally mentioned, I've already seen advice on the CVT filters (change doesn't seem necessary unless you notice "shifting" problems"), front brakes (mine were changed at like 40k and seem ok right now), and spark plugs (expensive but won't need til 100kish). Air filters are already done. Thanks for your help.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,431 Posts
- Take it to Honda stealership ask them if there are any recalls for the car
- Should be recall for roof moulding, takata air bags, and IMA software
-- There are two extra secret software updates for the IMA!! You want ALL 3!!
-- Might have to say, if they don't have record of the two extra software updates, for them to plug their computer into the car and apply any updates that are available
-- Usually you can get them to do that for free if you're getting some other kind of service such as a oil change or the airbag recall
- Buy 5 Quarts of CVT fluid at the parts counter

Now that you had your trip to Honda, NEVER GO THERE EVER AGAIN
- At 80K miles replace CVT Fluid, External CVT Filter, and INTERNAL CVT Filter.
- Go to hondaautomotiveparts.com or g1parts.com and buy the four following items:
25430-PLR-003 (External Filter)
25420-RBL-003 (Pan Filter)
90471-PX4-000 (Washer)
21814-RPS-000 (Gasket)

The gasket is for the CVT fluid pan, you need to replace the stock one when you drop the pan. Washer is for the drain bolt. Procedure is actually pretty easy, the only hard part is getting the gunk off the magnets with a cloth and removing the old gasket from the pan. Only tools required are pliers, phillips screwdriver, an old credit card, some carb cleaner (to remove the gasket), socket wrench, a 14mm socket for the drain bolt, and a 10mm socket for the pan bolts.

Somewhere after 100K:
- Replace all 8! spark plugs with the stock ones
- 12290-RBJ-003
- I'm at 135K and I haven't done it yet, but I should. I'm just poor which is why I drive an Insight :(

Oil Changes:
Mobil-1 0W20 and their filter is pretty good, their oil lasts a long time.

BONUS POINTS:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fumoto-F106N-Oil-drain-valve-with-nipple-M14-1-5-W-LC-10-Clip/323225374248?epid=1776320922&hash=item4b41bbce28:g:od8AAOSwe4JalZAH:sc:USPSFirstClass!30075!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0&fbclid=IwAR0V6Pfxt2L2-CL1bFt3iipkW8HWDo2iTC7Mmh4rEOs4BscX1QX7_rxHnT8

If you DIY your oil changes that thing is a huge help. They were initially recommended for the G1 Insights, but I put one on my G2 as well and it's the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the CVT filter changes something I can go to a shop for? I'm not super confident in my DIY-ness and it's also cold AF right now. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
Is there any reason to not search by the 2nd gen forum, on the right on the forum pages?
Don't really know that one works better than the other. I seem to have better luck with the google bar. Try both, study the results and post your conclusions:):)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Welcome. Learn to use the search tool first;)

If you search on "Maintenance schedule" using the google bar, top left, you will find a number to threads on the subject, one of which is for the G2 Insight.
I think he has more than proven his propensity to use the search.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts