Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided today was time to change the transmission fluid in the insight and after I drained the tranny and took the fill plug out I ran into a problem...

None of the 4! funnels I had would fit in the small/awkward area available to fill it back up. I started thinking and went into the house and got a turkey baster :D

I cut the tip of it off a little bit to make the end a little larger to let the fluid flow a bit faster and then cut a hole the same size as the quart container of fluid in the rubber top of the baster.

That allowed me to plug the fluid container into the "funnel" so I could easily fill it back up.

Just thought you guys might like to know ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for the information. I just purchased some MTF the other day in preparation of changing my transmission fluid and was wondering what I was going to use to fill the case. I keep a turkey baster in my tool box as I've found many automotive uses for it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where were you filling it from? I typically fill Honda transmissions by removing the speed sensor and using a long transmission funnel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The fill plug is located on the drivers side of the transmission right next to where the axle goes into the case. I just changed mine last week.

The way I filled mine was to. Take the nipple cap that comes with most gear lubes and cut the tip off, then I slid a hose about 2 feet long onto it. This is real easy and quick to do. You just fill slowly until fluid starts to run out and you know you have the proper amount.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just use a gear lube pump I got from Amsoil. It will screw onto the bottle and has different length tubing inserts to reach the bottom of a quart, gallon or 2.5 gallon bottle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My brother and I changed the MTF last year using the method that Aaron shows on his site. I would suggest using a manual bicycle pump in place of the electric pump since, at least for me, it is easier to modulate the pressure and much quieter. As a further precaution I would suggest completely wrapping the MTF bottle with the handyman's secret weapon (duct tape) before applying pressure. Aaron says this and I will emphasize it; be gentle with the pressure you apply or you will spend a lot of time on cleanup after the bottle explodes. It took a long time to fill the tranny because we were so chicken about the pressure, but it did work perfectly for us.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've had good luck with a hose with an OD the same or slightly smaller than the size of the fill bolt hole. Slide the hose in, snake it up above the engine, and find a funnel that fits into it.

·
Registered
2000 5spd AC silver.
56 Posts
New guy digging up old **** here: Just did the trans fluid on my new to me car. It looked pristine, but now I know its new.

Get yourself on of these bottle toppers for doing this service. L.H. tire off and you can reach right through and put the hose in the fill hole. These come with the ability to do the gallon jugs or the quart jugs. I use this for just about every diff or transfer case or transaxle service I do. Super cheap and can't wear out or break like the cheap pumps.

Hope this help out someone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts