Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost at 143,000 miles on my 2000 Insight. I live in Tampabay so driving is very aggressive here. I am finding the electric motor isn't giving alot of extra power anymore and will discharge if idling with Auto air for 5 minutes (once driving again).

I am still getting about 58mpg average and I have never had the valves adjusted.

Is it worth the money to have the valves adjusted? The only knocking I ever hear is from the Rostra Cruise and there is no burning or leaking. Also, does anyone know how hard it is to replace the IMA battery? My dealer said it would cost about $300 labor as you have to "dig" for it. I know I can get a 2001 battery for about $450. They made changes after 2001. Anything else that would make a difference short of wierd mods? I don't get the lean burn "jolt" anymore either. Prob worn batteries.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Sounds like it's time to install a turbo system in your car to make you smile again...

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
$450 for a new(ish?) IMA battery pack sounds like a steal, that's 1/2 the lowest speculated price ($1000) I've heard.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,891 Posts
The first paragraph of your message is a little confuseing.

Is your 12V battery going dead at idle with the air on or is your IMA battery gauge going to "0"?

Thats a darn good price on the IMA battery. Must be out of a wreck.

I'm guessing the labor time for replaceing the IMA battery would be around 3 to 4 hours.

Best thing to do is reset the ECM and have the 12V battery checked.

Hope to be "smileing" through Tampa on the way to Venice in late June or early July......................... :twisted:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the air on Auto and sit idling for 5 to 10 minutes, then start driving, the IMA batteries, almost always, force recalibrate themselves. The car must be using battery power to help keep the engine and air going at idle.

But what about a valve job? Would I get anything out of it? I just want to make sure that if I spend $700 parts and labor, that it will be like newish again.

Has anyone dug for the IMA batteries yet? I was thinking of trying it myself.

Willie: Have you decided on prices for parts and labor if you were to "hook me up"?

Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
453 Posts
700.00 to adjust the valves :!: You could buy the few tools needed, a manual, spark plugs, coil packs, air filter, oil fitler, oil, 12v battery and new tires for less than 700.00 :oops:

I'd suggest do-it-yourself and replace all the above parts.

If you plan keeping the car replace the main battery. If not just keep the RPMS up and keep it in a lower gear.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
In regard to your recal after idle, the IMA system will not assist the engine at idle. There have been credible reports in regard to the 12v battery being bad and some undefined interaction with the IMA system and more frequent recals. Get it tested the old fashioned way using a carbon pile and loading it at 50% of its capacity. The newer handheld testers sometimes pass a marginal battery. Having a new battery doesn't guarantee it being a good battery either, get it tested!

I too am still a bit confused as to what valve operation you are considering. Adjustment at the specified time is part of preventative maintenance. If you don't do it then you leave yourself open to the consequences.

If you've been disciplined in the frequent oil change interval then its too soon to worry about internal engine wear.

A valve job i.e. R&R the head, cut the seats and re-face or replace the valves should NOT be done without careful consideration. Except on lower mileage cars (especially Honda) when a very rare fault related to a valve occurs and the wear on all parts is minimal. In your case and in all high mileage cars the related parts that work to maintain cylinder pressure are also worn e.g. piston rings, cylinder bores etc. To make the valves like new will increase the stress on the other related parts. Very frequently doing such a job half way has unhappy consequences e.g. oil consumption dramatically increases due to the increased stress on the worn rings / pistons/ cylinder bores etc.

A percent leak down test will give an accurate indication of the condition of these internal engine parts. Its a long story so I'll save my fingers the wear. You'll need an _experienced_ local mechanic to do the job.

As to a DIY of the IMA batteries see the thread titled:

You've heard this before, but....

In general discussion, right now on page 6.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 090c975322

HTH! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts