Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Insight MID

Honda should fix the MID on I2, or someone will initiate a class action lawsuit soon. Bedsides constantly overestimating the MPG, "Range" feature is useless since over the course of a tank, it constantly reduces the range the I2 is capable of traveling. When the tank is full, it gives you a range of 500+ miles. However, as the tank nears empty, the MID readjusts the remaining range, even though the average MPG stays constant, the total miles always is less than the original estimate.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
How would you expect the range function to work?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would you expect the range function to work?
Give you an accurate estimate?

I wouldn't think giving you a range of 500 miles when overall average MPG is 42 in a 10.7 gallon tank is very accurate, do you?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Estimated MPG about 5% off

I've also found the average fuel economy as shown on the MID to be a little high. It was the same on my 2003 Civic Hybrid. About 5% I figure.

The thing is though, it just doesn't bother me. Never did. I just do the math myself at the end of a tank if I want perfect numbers.

Confucius say; Don't sweat the small stuff brothers and sisters...

I still want my share of the class action dough though :)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Thats not bad, most speedos are 5% off anyways. Mines seems to reset to 567 miles, then falls from there.

I dont care about that stuff, I imagine its hard to be accurate, but Id make it artifically low to surpruse my customers at how great of fuel economy they really get, vs the disappointment.

I hate the fact you must trigger the display everytime you turn on the key. Sure it returns to the lsat screen, but you can also scroll through to a blank scree. :-? Shy start off each key turn with a blank screen vs last one selected if a blank screen is an option?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm not really sure what you are expecting. From personal experience and reading the numerous threads and posts regarding MPG, it seems you could get a tank range of anywhere from 300-350mi (on the low end) or 500+mi (on the high end). This seems to depend on a lot of factors, including driving style, speed, terrain, weather, etc, etc. How can the MID possibly give an accurate range upon filling up and turning the engine on? I believe the range is based upon *current* conditions, and will fluctuate accordingly...

Agreed Cobb, that's my only real complaint with the operation of the MID...just go back to where I was without the need to press any buttons. I understand the blank screen, perhaps some people may want to set it to that to avoid any distractions...but don't default to it :-/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not really sure what you are expecting. From personal experience and reading the numerous threads and posts regarding MPG, it seems you could get a tank range of anywhere from 300-350mi (on the low end) or 500+mi (on the high end). This seems to depend on a lot of factors, including driving style, speed, terrain, weather, etc, etc. How can the MID possibly give an accurate range upon filling up and turning the engine on? I believe the range is based upon *current* conditions, and will fluctuate accordingly...
Agreed, but why not start off with an attainable figure, most likely one based on lifetime average. As it is now, it starts with 562, and ends up being 400. And coupled with over-estimating the MPG, I would say Honda is deliberately misleading the consumers.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Having paid attention to my MID range screen since this thread started, I think it works exactly as described in the manual, using your recent mpg to calculate the range, updating every now and then, though they don't tell you exactly what they consider recent and how often it updates.

I think this approach makes sense. What if you normally drove in the country getting 50+ mpg, but then were doing some city driving. The MID range value for your city driving would be way too high if it were based on a long-term average rather than what you were doing lately.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My main complaint with the MID is the only 2 screens that are of importance are at opposite ends. Screen with current & avg mpg & screen with the battery meter.

I'm constantly doing the 4 clicks to switch back & forth. Oh how I wish I could modify the sequence of displays or delete the other 6 useless ones.

·
Registered
256 Posts
First of all, I believe the MID is very accurate on my Insight. I have compared the fuel-economy on the screen with actual fuel economy I calculated at the filling station on at least 4 occasions and they were always within 1 mpg of each other. I'm not going to fret over 1 mpg and that can easily be attributed to variances in the gas pumps.

I'm constantly doing the 4 clicks to switch back & forth. Oh how I wish I could modify the sequence of displays or delete the other 6 useless ones.
This I do find irritating msyelf. I also agree that the only two screens I ever use are the battery information and the fuel-economy screen. On a rare occasion I use the range screen, and I think the rest of them are pretty useless. It would be nice if the car did start up with whatever screen you were on last.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't see this as being a huge deal. My highest miles on one tank so far is 540miles on a round trip from Va Beach to DC -- so to me, if my Insight's MID starts the range at 500+, I tend to believe it. So it makes perfect sense that after a fill-up, the Insight has a potential range of over 500 miles.

I just got back from the same trip and my MID shows I have traveled 440 miles since last fill-up with about a 100 mile range. My needle is still at 1/4 full (I know that is inaccurate), but I think I can certainly take it over 500 easily.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I love the MID! Particularly its ability to wow passengers (even Prius drivers!) with its fabulous plant game! :tongue:
All joking aside though, it never fails to impress people when I tell them my car gives me trophies. Haha

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just wanted to mention....

During my recent trip from Va Beach to DC, I filled the car up at my usual 7-11 gas station completely full (to the brim). Returned from my trip, drove to-from work a few days and finally ran the tank near empty yesterday. As I pull into my same 7-11 (same pump too!), my MID displayed 543.1 miles, 51.3mpg, w/ a range of 1 mile remaining on this single tank of gas.

Filled to the brim again w/ 10.7 gallons of fuel, which calculated to 50.8mpg. 0.5mpg difference between MID and actual. I'm happy with how accurate my MID has been so far.

And after my fill-up, my MID showed a range of 540 miles! :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm simply expecting the range to be based on something. Anything, other than the optimal best case scenario given now. If I have only averaged 50+ MPG on one single trip over 100s of trips, why continue to display 540 miles on every fill-up? Wouldn't it make more sense to start off with the range based on more realistic, or I should say "attainable" range and adjust calculation based on "current" condition?

To clarify, as others have mentioned, this is not that big of a deal, and perhaps it's all part of the Honda programming to motivate me to try harder :D:lol:

·
Registered
264 Posts
To add to this discussion... every car I've been in that has a range display gets it wrong at fill-up regardless of make, model, or propulsion technology.

JP

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To add to this discussion... every car I've been in that has a range display gets it wrong at fill-up regardless of make, model, or propulsion technology.

JP
Yes, this is true. But I always believed Honda did things a little ahead of the curve. For example, I noticed in my '88 Prelude, when I opened the passenger side door, it would unlock both doors, whereas if I unlocked the driver side door, it would only open the driver side door, unless I kept the key in the unlock position a second longer, then it would unlock both doors. This is all before the ubiquitousness of remotes, so I was impressed with the attention to detail. And on the new Insight, I just noticed, turning on the wiper initiates the rear wiper as well. I have not seen this in other cars. Another feature I like is the way Honda lets us program the way remote unlocks the doors, and the various user settable configuration for auto-locking and unlocking the doors.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much for wanting the range to be based on some historical data, which would be much more useful, IMHO, from a company I love.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, I have another observation for consideration and comment (conspiracy theories?):

I completed a little trip to Cleveland this weekend and flipped over to the range screen. I was averaging 41.6mpg at this particular point in the trip with 28 miles-to-empty and I pulled into a Flying J. I topped-off rounding to the nearest quarter-dollar and got back in. The MID estimated 388 miles-to-empty at start. When I actually got back on the highway it revised the estimate to the (more accurate) 425 miles-to-empty. In effect, it under-estimated my fuel consumption versus what earlier posters have said regarding an over-estimate.

No theories on my part :confused: just my observation...

JP

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm just curious if anyone has ever checked to see if the ODO is accurate? I dunno if that would make a difference or not with what you guys are seeing on your MID.

I know on my Corolla, a few months ago i found that the winter wheels i have on now (195/55/16) are dead accurate with the ODO. I guess that means the original stock wheels that came with the car (195/65/15) are actually throwing the ODO off by about 2%. That also means i was getting better gas mileage than i thought in the summer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm just curious if anyone has ever checked to see if the ODO is accurate? I dunno if that would make a difference or not with what you guys are seeing on your MID.

I know on my Corolla, a few months ago i found that the winter wheels i have on now (195/55/16) are dead accurate with the ODO. I guess that means the original stock wheels that came with the car (195/65/15) are actually throwing the ODO off by about 2%. That also means i was getting better gas mileage than i thought in the summer.
I've checked the speedometer against a GPS and it's dead-on accurate. If the speedo is correct I have no reason to suspect a bad odometer (something would have to be really messed up!).

JP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts