Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, I have another observation for consideration and comment (conspiracy theories?):

I completed a little trip to Cleveland this weekend and flipped over to the range screen. I was averaging 41.6mpg at this particular point in the trip with 28 miles-to-empty and I pulled into a Flying J. I topped-off rounding to the nearest quarter-dollar and got back in. The MID estimated 388 miles-to-empty at start. When I actually got back on the highway it revised the estimate to the (more accurate) 425 miles-to-empty. In effect, it under-estimated my fuel consumption versus what earlier posters have said regarding an over-estimate.

No theories on my part :confused: just my observation...

JP
It does re-adjust as you drive on, my comments were on the initial starting range upon a fill-up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Honda should fix the MID on I2, or someone will initiate a class action lawsuit soon. Bedsides constantly overestimating the MPG, "Range" feature is useless since over the course of a tank, it constantly reduces the range the I2 is capable of traveling. When the tank is full, it gives you a range of 500+ miles. However, as the tank nears empty, the MID readjusts the remaining range, even though the average MPG stays constant, the total miles always is less than the original estimate.
This was your exact first quote. I inferred (and I could certainly have inferred incorrectly) that you were upset that your MID was over-estimating the range at fill-up. What I am pointing out is that my MID initially underestimates the range.

To add to my observations from previous posts, the MID range adjusts range based on the Instantaneous, rather than Average, fuel economy. Back in October as I approached zero miles (and felt the heat radiating from my wife in the passenger seat) I was pleased to see my range increase as I slowed my speed and changed my style. I arrived at a gas station with just a few miles left until the MID read "0." Of course, when I filled up, the pump still only showed 10 gallons filled -quite a bit less than the total capacity of the fuel tank. Basing the range on Instantaneous rather than Average fuel economy is more accurate (safer?) as it provides closer to the "real range" at any given moment. Basing range estimates on FE averages is fine for car reviews, bragging rights, and trip planning but could leave you stranded on the side of the road.

JP

·
Registered
187 Posts
I generally like the MID. I find the Range left estimator one of the most useful, actually. I don't look at it much after I first fill up - i figure it's not going to be much help becuase it can only calculate based on the first few miles out of the gas station. If I hop on a freeway and get good mileage, it'l say I have a big range left; whereas, if I drive and stop around San Francisco after filling up getting bad mileage, it'll estimate a small range. After I put in a bit of driving, I find it gets more accurate... and therefore more useful.

I do think the MID should start up with whichever screen you had on when you shut off last.

RIght now, I have it blank because I felt enslaved to that stupid mpg screen, lol.

I would like more data though. Like the last 3 trips screen, I wish it was bigger and gave the actual numbers, not just vague bars of the last 3 trips. I wish I could store or save trips like: "Trip #3: miles drive=112, mpg=41.2"
Or better yet, should be able to link it to the navigation system, so you could like click on it for more details, what was the wrote, what was the external temperature what time of day, etc. Then you could be "graded" with clover leaves based on your performance in relation to your past drives of the same routes. Ok I went over the top, ANYway, I'd just settle on it reading the number of mpg (ie. 41) on the past 3 trips in the MID instead of the vague bars.

I don't use any of the graphics showing the batteries charging or how hard im braking or anything. I find the changing color of the speedo is more than enough.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This was your exact first quote. I inferred (and I could certainly have inferred incorrectly) that you were upset that your MID was over-estimating the range at fill-up. What I am pointing out is that my MID initially underestimates the range.
I generally like the MID. I find the Range left estimator one of the most useful, actually. I don't look at it much after I first fill up - i figure it's not going to be much help becuase it can only calculate based on the first few miles out of the gas station. If I hop on a freeway and get good mileage, it'l say I have a big range left; whereas, if I drive and stop around San Francisco after filling up getting bad mileage, it'll estimate a small range. After I put in a bit of driving, I find it gets more accurate... and therefore more useful.
I think I figured out the algorithm Honda uses to figure out the range. At full tank, it uses some optimal figure (52MPG?, based on 560 miles it shows) and as the tank empties, it uses the data from most recent trips. However, the weighing of the data is constantly changing, that is, with the tank closer to full, it gives more weight to the "optimal" figure. And as the tank nears empty, it uses more of the recent mileage to calculate the range, which would explain the accuracy as it approaches empty. Sometimes when the most recent mileage is far below the optimal, it does over-calculate and under-estimate the remaining miles.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would like more data though. Like the last 3 trips screen, I wish it was bigger and gave the actual numbers, not just vague bars of the last 3 trips. I wish I could store or save trips like: "Trip #3: miles drive=112, mpg=41.2"
Or better yet, should be able to link it to the navigation system, so you could like click on it for more details, what was the wrote, what was the external temperature what time of day, etc. Then you could be "graded" with clover leaves based on your performance in relation to your past drives of the same routes. Ok I went over the top, ANYway, I'd just settle on it reading the number of mpg (ie. 41) on the past 3 trips in the MID instead of the vague bars.
I LOVE these ideas, especially the link to the nav. system. :):)

I'd make them part of a special high mpg model. Which would include all the many ideas posted here for getting the highest possible mpg.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just filled up and noticed the range as 440 miles, which is consistent with the last MPG figure of 41 :D

All I can say is I was premature in my initial harsh judgment, sorry.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts