Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has an Insight, which I covet. I have a standing offer to buy it from him when he's through with it. I'm hoping that he is done playing with it when my '88 CRX Si finally crumbles into a pile of rust surrounding an engine that just won't give up. :)

He bought it when they first came out, and your web site, along with InsightMan's, proved very useful since there were no other Insight owners around.

One flaw with the car, in my Dad's and my opinions, is the lack of protection on the doors. We thought that it was a serious Insight oversight to leave out side molding to protect the doors and sides from dings in parking lots, made especially serious because of the Insight's expensive to repair aluminum body.

InsightMan posted his thoughts on why this feature was left out, concluding that it was impossible to position the side molding where it would be effective and where it would not ruin the car's looks. I disagreed, and got a stock Honda photo of the Insight and drew a line on the car where I thought the molding could be placed. My father bought some silver body molding at an auto parts store and had a body shop mount it. We think it turned out quite well. And the Insight's doors are ding-free, so far.

If you're interested in trying this, I can post some photos.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Yes please, let's see those photos. Can you post a link?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,896 Posts
Side molding.

Looks great. Do they make it in white? (For the Little Red Rocket.) Name of the manufacturer of the molding if possible? :twisted:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked my father about his source for the body molding:

"I bought that moulding strip for the Insight at an auto parts store.
There were several brands to choose from. The one I selected had a name something like "Supreme" or "Premium". Not sure. I have a strip left over in the garage in Annapolis and it may have the brand name on it (not much help from 600 miles away). I think the brand is not that important (although I didn't find anything I liked at Pep Boys). The real trick is to get a close color match."

Again, he bought the molding, then took it to a body shop for installation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did body molding, and painted it to match the car. I wanted the protection, but didn't want to ruin the lines (best placement for protection conflicts with design flow). I am very happy with the results, and can post a pic if anyone intrested. It looks totally stock. I also used clear door edging for same reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Speed,

I am interested to see what your self install molding looks like on the doors. If you could post images that would be great. Also, did you use a special technique to mount it level and straight or are do you have experience doing body work? I am curious becouse I want to know if anyone can do this or if specail skills are needed, Thanks

Saboeme

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will get my digital cam back from my kid today and get some pics. I have done alot of automotive work, but this is an easy task. To make the line straight, use 1" masking tape to put a reference line below where you want the moulding. Have someone hold the end a good foot beyond your intended starting point, then unroll at least the length plus a foot, holding it tight. Slowly bring it up to the car, placing it against the car when within an inch by pressing (not rubbing) in 6 inch spaces. You can look down the tape to see if it is straight, and can keep adjusting till good. Then just place the body moulding till it just touches the top edge of the tape. Old trick from laying out paint jobs on aircraft. I masked it off and painted after it was done. Standard moulding (chrome with black center) and the length was perfect, just had to cut it at the door.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In San Rafael yesterday I saw a silver Insight parked on the street that just didn't look quite "normal". It was still there when I was heading back and I got a better look at it. They had installed gray molding along the length of the car that didn't look too bad or out of place. What first made me do a double-take though was that they had also wrapped it around the entire front bumper which gave it very different lines than a stock bumper. I guess now it's protected from shopping carts on all sides.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have pictures of my mouldings, I cannot attach, email me at [email protected]. and I will attach in response.
[/img]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts