Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a conversation with Scott and he mentioned how many people on the forums complain about the insight not being comfortable, especially the seats. I was kind of shocked about this because one of the reasons I love the insight is because of how comfortable I think it is, especially the seats. The bucket seats feel exactly like the right size, and provide just the right cushion where I need it. Also it feels like everything is right where it needs to be, nothing feels out of reach or causes me to lean awkwardly.

Then Scott pointed out to me that I'm really short and the insight was designed for people about my height. So I'm reaching out to see if other short people (about 5'4) find the insight to be comfortable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was having a conversation with Scott and he mentioned how many people on the forums complain about the insight not being comfortable, especially the seats. I was kind of shocked about this because one of the reasons I love the insight is because of how comfortable I think it is, especially the seats. The bucket seats feel exactly like the right size, and provide just the right cushion where I need it. Also it feels like everything is right where it needs to be, nothing feels out of reach or causes me to lean awkwardly.

Then Scott pointed out to me that I'm really short and the insight was designed for people about my height. So I'm reaching out to see if other short people (about 5'4) find the insight to be comfortable.
I’m 5’9, and I find my Insight to be pretty comfortable. I’ve taken it on long drives, almost 20 hours straight, and my butt only started to hurt around hour 15 or 16 of the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vivila

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'm about the same height and I find the Insight very comfortable. It's very similar to the 1988 CRX-HF that I also have. My knees are closer to the dash than I'd like but overall the car is fine for me.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm 5'5" and found the Insight seats caused me severe back pain (at age ~28 at the time) on extended drives. Swapped them out for CR-Z seats and now I have no issues driving for hours.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I’m 5’ 7” and 75 and it’s comfortable for me. Tho i’d Like to explore what different seats insighters have found to be better. I drive long distances too but stopping every hour to stretch and do a few minutes of yoga is a must now.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm 5' 11" and I find the Insight seats to be some of the most comfortable seats I've sat in for long journeys. One of the only seat types that doesn't make my butt hurt on long drives. I've wanted to swap the seats for ones that fold down flat but I've balked at the idea because I find the stock ones to be so comfortable.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am a tad over 6’ and don’t have trouble with the driving position, which I love, or head room, of which there’s plenty. But(t) I’m very thin. Therefore, I think it’s my lack of padding that makes the seat uncomfortable. I can’t sit for hours, period.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
43 Posts
5'10" and I've had no issues - interestingly, I find the seating position, especially the relative positioning of the wheel, shifter and pedals, to be VERY similar to my Volvo 240 - something I wouldn't have predicted, given the Insight was designed by smaller Japanese designers and the Volvo was designed by lanky Scandinavians. Suits me fine!

Reactions: stomish

·
Registered
654 Posts
I sat in an Insight about ten or twelve years ago after I told the owner it was too small for me. I was wrong. I bought one about three years ago, am 6' and overweight and the seating works fine for me. I drove from Ogden, Utah, to Pine Bluff, Arkansas in one shot. It is just over 1,500 miles and took me 26 to 27 hours. Other than plantar fasciitis, no connection to seating, the trip was OK. I went from Oregon to New Jersey and back and find the car a great car for travel.

It also works fine around town.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I find the Insight comfortable. No complaints about the seats. I did recently raise the steering wheel about an inch.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
So I'm reaching out to see if other short people (about 5'4) find the insight to be comfortable.
Not much taller myself but find the seat could be raised 2 inches for optimum viability, otherwise it's kind of like sitting in a bathtub, or if you've ever sat in a Pontiac Solstice you'll know what I mean. I had one Insight where someone placed blocks under the rear seat mounting points to improve the seating position and it did help but I've never keep a car long enough to bother doing that myself. I've driven over 15 hours a day without issue.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I'm also 5'4", and the car is quite comfortable for me. (center console arm rest for this car is a must have)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
Like the old saying goes...."Your seating comfort will vary from person to person."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 6'0" and it is the most comfortable car for me to drive in our family fleet! And it is more comfortable than many cars I have driven before. I just got back from a 2,100 mile trip up through Oregon and into Washington over the past 8 days.

Kevin McBride-Luman

Oakdale, California

2003 MT Insight, 147k,

2010 Insight LX, 160k,

2013 Insight EX, 180k,

1998 Honda Odyssey LX, 190k

·
Registered
33 Posts
Even though I'm no longer an Insight owner, I drove mine for nearly 10 years without much complaint regarding the seating, this included a lot of long road trips. I'm over 6'3" but somewhat long-waisted which means I am used to needing to use the seatback adjustment to lean a little to get enough headroom. Toward the end of my tenure as an Insight driver, I did begin to miss having cruise control because of the discomfort of holding my foot on the throttle for long periods of time, but that is not a seat issue.

The biggest challenge for me (not only tall but large framed and overweight and old) was levering myself up and out of the low-sitting car.... My previous CRX-HF (1985) had roughly the same sitting position/comfort. I always own (also) a 4x4 pickup truck with a subsequently high stance and modest cab headroom. I generally prefer sitting in what I've come to fondly think of as "the slipper position". I recently borrowed a friend's classic Jeep Cherokee (same layout as one I'd owned for a decade in the 90s) and was shocked at how much more comfortable the Insight was.

I considered at one time upgrading my seats to CRZ or even aftermarket "racing" seats, but settled on "If it ain't broke"...

·
Registered
2002 Honda Insight, Silver
6 Posts
Question regarding seats. What year seats from the CR-Z are compatible with 2002 insight? Are the seat rails in the Insight the same without any modification?. My seats are Ok, but would like to try something different with more cushions. My car has 289k miles and the cushions are probably worn out.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,695 Posts
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL 1 Insighters have done.
Thank you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
More comfortable than what? I'm used to driving Volvos (known for super comfy seats). I'm 5'7", 155 and the Insight seats make church pews seem comfortable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts