Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to get really high MPG, the Insight can not be driven like a "normal " car. If I hypermile it, I get from the high 40's to mid 50's(depending on terrain and traffic conditions) average per trip. If I drive like I'm not in a hurry, am somewhat light on the pedal, I typically get in the low to mid 40's MPG. However If I'm in somewhat of a hurry and drive it slightly aggressively,(not hot rodding it) I get in the low to mid 30' s.

Conclusion. Unlike a non hybrid car, MPG with the insight is GREATLY influenced on HOW and WHERE you drive it. All that being said, I really like my Insight a lot.:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
from driving it for a few times lately, I notice to achieve better gas mileage is to accelerate to the speed you need on the light blue light. Then gentlely manage it to stay in the same speed. That's how I've been driving it lately to achive 50s.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from driving it for a few times lately, I notice to achieve better gas mileage is to accelerate to the speed you need on the light blue light. Then gentlely manage it to stay in the same speed. That's how I've been driving it lately to achive 50s.
That's my point. With this car, you have to make a conscious effort to get really high fuel economy. If you just drove it without paying attention to the light, your MPG typically wouldn't be that high. The way the Insight is set up is the driver GREATLY determines the level of fuel economy. This is true with conventional cars as well; although to a MUCH lesser extent.

With driving habits, MPG varies lets say 2-5 MPG on a conventional car. With the Insight, MPG could vary 20-25MPG

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I just remind myself of newtows law. Energy can not be created or destroyed, just changed and I want to cram it all in to my battery pack.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's my point. With this car, you have to make a conscious effort to get really high fuel economy. If you just drove it without paying attention to the light, your MPG typically wouldn't be that high. The way the Insight is set up is the driver GREATLY determines the level of fuel economy. This is true with conventional cars as well; although to a MUCH lesser extent.

With driving habits, MPG varies lets say 2-5 MPG on a conventional car. With the Insight, MPG could vary 20-25MPG
I have to disagree, or my car does. I can drive it pretty average and I get 46-48 in town driving.

Freeway is another thing. The speed-limit is 70 so everyone travels 75+. I think I'm in the low 40's at that speed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
so the trick is take off fast and on blue display and when u get to the desired speed just stay on green??
does that work for both highway and city?
i always take off slow ( green display and hate it ) cause i thout u get more mpg that way

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes!

so the trick is take off fast and on blue display and when u get to the desired speed just stay on green??
does that work for both highway and city?
i always take off slow ( green display and hate it ) cause i thout u get more mpg that way
That's what we're all saying. Start out fast (blue) and get up to speed, then level off and maintain that speed with green.

I normally only pay attention to the blue/green light for braking purposes. It tells you when you're doing regen braking (green) or friction braking (blue).

Mostly I pay attention to the real-time mpg-meter (slider) and the average for the trip.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm in the desert where the temps aren't going below 80 at night and up to 113 in the day.

With the AC on all the time my mileage has dropped to the low to mid 40's.

I'm tired of being the last one off the light so I started to take off with the flow of traffic. When I reach my speed I lift off the accelerator pedal, paddle shift to 7th and continue on. As soon as I paddle shift to 7th the instant mpg bar jumps to 100 and then will settle above 50 to maintain a constant speed.

So far it seems to work, plus I finally get to use the paddles.

I also keep the Cruise turned on all the time and after I hit my speed and paddle shift to 7th, I hit the cruise, if possible. I tried to control the speed of the car but the cruise gets better mileage than I do.

·
Registered
264 Posts

I know I'm late to the party but I have to pipe in. With any car you have to make a conscious effort to get really high fuel economy. I think you're looking at the equation from a skewed perspective. What I think you should really look at is the difference (delta) between what the EPA number is, what you and other drivers achieve, and what the car is fully capable of doing.

For instance, the 2010 Fit AT is EPA-rated 28/35/31. My friend, who owns one, can manage 38.5mpg at best with mostly highway driving (steady-state). Her normal average range is 27-33mpg.

Contrast that with my Insight which, as we know, is EPA-rated 40/43/41. The worst FE avg has been 36mpg which is a result of my wife idling with the A/C on (curse you warmest year on record!) while our combined normal driving average range is mid-40s (43-46mpg). Driving that same "best" route as my friend's 2010 Fit at the same speeds (also steady-state) I easily hit 50.4mpg. If I try with moderate hypermiling (55mph, P&G, etc...) I can definitely hit upper-60s if not into the low-70s.

As you can see, the delta between EPA and beating the EPA for the 2010 Fit is +3mpg whereas the Insight is +7mpg. If you really hypermile, I doubt the Fit could get much higher than mid-40s without resorting to advanced hypermiling techniques. That would be a +10mpg increase (probably +15mpg with advanced techniques). A number of other Insight drivers on this forum can consistently hit the mid-60s which is more than a 20mpg increase.

The large delta exists not because of the effort required but rather because the Insight is so much more capable as a high-FE machine. In other words, the payback for being FE-conscious is greater in the Insight than in a conventional car. The worst you can do in an Insight (without intentionally degrading FE) is somewhere in the 30s. In a conventional car like the Fit it is totally possible to be in the teens. However, the best you can do in the Insight is 70+mpg whereas the Fit can eek out, maybe, 50mpg. Between the two using the same speed and driving style the Insight will give you greater efficiency numbers than the Fit over the EPA-rating.

And for the record, it was a struggle for me to even achieve the EPA rating on my previous car much less beat it!

JP

·
Registered
392 Posts
Anymore I have given up trying to get great mileage, I just drive the car like normal (and normal to me means coasting to a red light, not flooring it all the way to the line and then slamming on the brakes). I set the cruise at 4 MPH over the speed limit on the highway and use the A/C as needed.

I find that on the highway I can easily get mid to upper 40's going 70 MPH. In town I tend to get lower 40's b/c I am frequently driving very short distances on a cold engine. My overall average MPG is right at 43 MPG with over 21,000 miles.

I've had cars before where it is "possible" to beat the EPA estimates on a very good day with the perfect conditions, but the Insight seems to beat them hands down no matter how I drive, no matter the conditions (except the dead of winter). Simply put, i am quite happy with the results.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My tacoma got 18mpg no matter how I drove it. Towing it got 16mpg.
I think that's kind of the amazing thing about the Insight's feedback system - it probably adds a decent 3 - 5 mpg to people's driving habits totally through coaching people to drive more eco. The EPA discrepancy between a Prius and Insight II is about 10mpg, but with all of Insight's feedback I'd say it really levels the playing field.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that's kind of the amazing thing about the Insight's feedback system - it probably adds a decent 3 - 5 mpg to people's driving habits totally through coaching people to drive more eco. The EPA discrepancy between a Prius and Insight II is about 10mpg, but with all of Insight's feedback I'd say it really levels the playing field.

I like the feedback system but so far I'm unimpressed with my MPG so any advice welcome..
I've come to the Insight after 4 years in 2 Civic 2.2 diesel EXs, I did about 50K miles in each Civic and never got below 52 MPG even when normally cruising at 85 mph on the motorways.
My commute is 50 miles each way on a combination of single lane roads and the M25 in the UK, commuting time varies between 1 and 3 hours though the odd 5 hour journey has been experienced..
I've had the Insight for 3 weeks and have covered almost 1.5K miles, I'm driving slower than with the Civic and using Econ all the time so far I've not got above 53 MPG, I was hoping for late 50s at least as the Insight only has a 40 litre tank, compared to the Civic's 50 so was hoping, like with the Civic only to have to fill up once per week.

It's early days yet so maybe there's something I can do to improve the MPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just bought our 2010 Honda Insight EX on Monday with 50 miles on it.

Since we got it from the dealer I have been unable to average higher than 39.6. This is with the heat on and off.. radio on and off... staying mostly in the green and trying to pay as much attention as possible to acceleration and breaking.

I drive the car to and from work about 35 miles each way.... mostly highway. I have tried all reasonable speeds. The limit here is 65 and I have gone anywhere from 45-70 (mostly between 55-60) depending on weather, wind & whether I'm going uphill or not.

I am beginning to get very frustrated and am starting to wonder if something is wrong with the car. This is the third day I've been reading through these forums and no tips that I have found yet have helped much.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think that's what I got on my first tank too. Just relax, your mileage will go up as the engine breaks in and you learn how to drive it. You'll be in the mid 40's in no time.

You should put your location in the area where your name is. It will make a big difference in your mileage. Obviously flat locations will get better mileage than mountain locations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put gas in it for the first time today. However, the gas tank was full and had just been refilled when I got it...

I really hope you're right about the engine wearing in... I cannot imagine paying closer attention to my driving and the response of the car.. My drive home is much longer now than pre-insight because of my awareness.. Semis are flying by me at times.. and that is ok with me as long as there is a benefit.. I just wish I saw one

·
Registered
392 Posts
What type of climate are you in? If it is really cold out the gas mileage suffers due to multiple factors including:

1. Gas quality (Winter gas is bad for MPG's)
2. Outside air temperature (cold engines get worse MPG than warm engines, cold air is more dense and thus harder to push than warm air)
3. Wind speeds in the winter are usually higher than in the summer

So if you are in a cold climate, with a new engine, then it is going to be tough to get very good mileage. Once summer hits you will be amazed at how easy it is to get into the 50's though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Central Illinois and it's been pretty cold. About 20-25 degrees in the morning and 20-30 on the way home.

I know that the temperature does have a negative effect on MPG and I've kept that in mind. Still, I have been reading in these forums that for many people.. that means dropping from around 50-60 to around 40-45 but I still can't get above 39.6 no matter what I do.

It looks like this weekend it will be between 40-60 which will be nice.

I am wondering.. do you have to stay below 45 to get 50+MPG? I have been doing mostly 55 and with the speed limit being 65.. and the Insight being rather small, drivers here seem to violently pass me as though they are offended by my speed. I can understand that as I drove pretty fast myself before, but for my own safety I would like to be at 65.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just drive normal. You'll learn when to coast, lightly touch the brake for battery regeneration, etc. It takes time to learn the right touch.

So it's not even above freezing? I'm in LA and it's been in the high 50's to low 60's in the day. Granted I'm driving a pretty good amount of hills but I'm only getting 44 on the MID.

I was told by someone that optimal air temperature for a car engine is 72 degrees.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
16 Participants
iamiam
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing