Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Auto Blog Green: Paris Preview Honda Insight Concept to be New Global Hybrid.

AutoBlogGreen said:
Honda has just released the first official photos of its eagerly-anticipated new dedicated hybrid car that will debut early in 2009. The car that until now had been referred to by Honda officials simply as the "Global Hybrid" will revive the popular Insight name from the company's first hybrid model. Although Honda is officially calling the car that will be shown in Paris next month a concept, these concepts tend to be extremely close to the final production version. Given the similarity to the spy photos we've seen already we shouldn't expect much to change before launch next year. The Insight does bear a strong resemblance to the larger FCX Clarity fuel cell car although as with most hybrids, the current Honda three bar grill design is actually a solid piece for optimized aerodynamics. Honda has already said that it has cut the cost of its IMA hybrid system in half for the Insight and the new Insight's price is expected to start in the neighborhood of $18,500. Honda is expecting about 200,000 world wide sales of the Insight with half of those going to the U.S.
So what do you all think about this? Honestly I'm a bit disappointed. It seems like this car won't be nearly as spectacular as our Insights. They don't even look remotely the same, it's not even a coupe! I know this is more along the lines of what most people want... I'm happy Honda is coming out with another hybrid. Though, I've got to wonder how much different this is going to be from the Civic Hybrid, or why they can't make that cheaper. I just wish they could come up with a new name. If you ask me, this is not an Insight.

Oops, I just realized this should be in the Honda news forum... I never go to any other category besides this one. If one of the mods wants to merge this with the correct posting in the news section that'd be great. Sorry!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
It looks like a good HEV... It looks like more people will buy it...

I hope they do not use the Insight name....

That would be like Lamborghini ( If they didn't go belly up ) coming out with a $10,000 economy box car and calling it the "Countach".

I think Honda Should reserve the "Insight" Name for future releases of very advanced FE design... The Next Insight should at the very least include PHEV stock... Ideally with a Carbon Fiber or other advanced material frame ... with even better Aerodynamics ... etc...etc...

But , if they do go ahead with the plan and call the new HEV Insight... then Insight Central here will begin to possibly get visits from owners and shoppers who are considering the new Insight and or who are driving it... and Insight Central will need a Face Lift in the data Bases and such to include details on the Insight II as it now does for the Insight....

Still hopping they change their minds and call it something else.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
gas_burner said:
Any chance of it beating 00-06' MPG?
Will it have an MT option?
Larger Vehicle = More Weight , Less Aerodynamic
Heavier materials used ( Not Aluminum ) = Heavier Weight

More Weight means to get consumer happy performance means large displacement engine.

it will get lower MPG than the old grandpa original Insight...

It will have more Utility ... but I don't need more seating than the 2 seater Insight so any additional seating is useless.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow, how.... Prius-y... :roll:

I do like the LED running lamps and headlights if they make it to production... looks like a sharp looking car. ;)

Definitely NOT an Insight, but if using the name will benefit Honda, and that's what it takes for more hybrid models to be successful and accepted by the public at large, then, I guess I can live with it.

I'm old enough to remember the almost-universal moaning, weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth that ensued when the original T-birds went to four seats... and when they went to a four-door model, you'd have thought Lee Iacocca had shot his mother and his children in cold blood on the steps of the Courthouse, after half an hour spent drawing a crowd... :lol:

Perhaps Insight Central will change the masthead to Insights Central... :D

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It looks like a bloody Prius.

It's unfortunate that they have now blurred the Insight name. It used to stand for purity in function. Now it means the same thing as "Civic".

How utterly disappointing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shame on Honda!!!
All I can say is what an insult that Honda 'Prius' copy is to us true Insight enthusiasts and owners, who really know and appreciate the true hybrid value and engineering genious of our 2-seater original Insights. It's insulting to me that Honda decided to use the Insight name for this new concept, cause it seems to take away from the true value and recognition of our originals. I bet it won't even be available in a 5-speed, which makes it less appealing.
I hope it's a flop.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aaron Cake said:
It looks like a bloody Prius.
It's unfortunate that they have now blurred the Insight name. It used to stand for purity in function. Now it means the same thing as "Civic".
How utterly disappointing.
Ditto.

Shame on you, Honda Marketing (expletive deleted)!

JoeS.

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
The new vehicle should not be called the Insight as the INSIGHT is "one of a kind". :D

Maybe it's time to protest to Hond Corp. for their designated name on the "new hybrid". :evil:
Letters, E mails, etc.
I don't think that Ford would come out with a model named "A". :idea:

Willie
My 3 cents worth.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree wit your comments on the name use.....but if you look at history, this is not a first time. The original Thunderbird was an instant classic and in 58 they had the nerve to make a 4 door beast with the Thunderbird name :( Thats just one example of a great car's name used in vain. :roll:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Honda just emailed me this press release for the new "Insight".

http://automobiles.honda.com/insight-hybrid/events.aspx

I like the look of the car, but we need more details. I dislike them using reusing the name when it is a completely different beast.
Mini-Prius might be a better name given the shape. (Yes I know Prius is Toyota).
Speaking of which, was there ever a Maxi-Cooper?

-heading off to web search ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
http://automobiles.honda.com/insight-hybrid/

I'm confused now - the CR-Z is worthy of the Insight name, this thing should be called we-want-a-Prius-too

but what's in a name - I'll ignore this one, but I'll be putting my name down for the CR-Z (or whatever they're going to call it) as soon as I can. I just hope that they're not going to delay CR-Z production because they want to bring this one out first...

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's an Insight in name only.

I have been ranting about the fact this is not an Insight successor.
It is a rushed to market response to Toyota to try to gain market share.

There is almost nothing it improves on from the original Insight.
I am sure almost all Insight owners will agree on that.
Give me a car with a manual gearbox that is light and gets over 60MPG why is this so hard to follow up on after almost 10 years?

I was hoping I was not going to have to restore the Insight but now it looks like this car will be carrying the innovative MPG torch for a long time.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think that they mentioned that the MPG would be better than the current Civic hybrid.

This announcement does not surprize me at all. The design looks like what all of the next generation of cars are going to look like. Obviously Honda felt that the Civic sales weren't as good as they should be, so this is a sensible response. I'm sure that at some point in the future there will be another "huge technology leap forward" that will allow us to replace our Insights, but it will probably be a while.

Another small point is that the whole fuel economy thing has not really caught on yet across the country. We still have our 75 MPH speed limits (and 85 MPH drivers) and expectations of instantaneous acceleration. When the Next Big Oil Crisis hits and the speed limit gets put down to 55 where it belongs (or 45), then the car companies can come out with cars with 300 cc engines that really get good performance. The old geezers among us remember when there were perfectly good cars with 750 and 850 cc engines, using antique technology. The current Insight should have a 500 cc engine, if you ask me... So there is still a lot of room for improvement as attitudes change...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts