Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did an oil analysis on my Insight @25260 miles. Had the car for roughly 3 years at the time of the this oil analysis. Used Mobil 1 0W-20 and the OEM Toyo Roki Honda Filter. The oil was used for roughly 5200 miles/~10mo. Good mix of city & highway driving.

http://www.vgmusic.com/users/braxus/insightoil.jpg

From the looks of it, the oil looks like it can be used to 7500 easy maybe 10K even. :) Used a Supertech filter this time around and plan to see how the numbers add up on my next change.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Very nice to see

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I wonder how many times people will do oil analysis before they realize the claims of synthetic oils are true. You can even easily go 7,000 miles on non synthetic oils! I did all the time on older cars and not once did I ever have an oil related engine issue. If anyone has a concern then just change out the oil filter sooner, but the oil will be fine for longer than you think, unless you race the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
FWIW, I used to work for a Hinda competitor. DEalers wanted us to popst a 3000 ,=mile oil change interval, but the powertrain engineers were adamant ther wasnothing wrong with 7,500. Indeed, the head powertrain engineer clained a moern engine can do 15k between changes with no ill effect whatsoever. This is due to modern mettaurgy, lubricants and computerized machine work. All combine to reduce frictoin dramatically over even '80s era powerplants.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I go atleast 7500 between changes in my insight with standard oil. The same for my 89 geo metro. 7500 is safe interval for all modern oils. I'm sure the synths can go 15k or more.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I was at a shop a year or so ago and the manager said that one reason for 3000 mile oil changes is that most people never check their oil. Back in the good old days, you had to check your oil weekly or risk engine failure. Nowadays, most engines don't leak or burn oil and you can go a long time before adding any. But perhaps not 7500 miles.

He pointed to a recent Jeep in the process of getting an engine change as an example; the owner had simply driven it without maintenance until the engine seized.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah when the dealership changes my oil they always mark my return milage at beong only 5000 miles ... I just tear off the sticker and go by the built-in notification :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts