Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed while reading the topic "Painting an Insight", someone mentioned a New Leftover 02 Insight CVT for sale on e-bay. Having purchased an 02 leftover myself last year, I was curious as to what price this car would bring. I couldn't help but notice the bid of $14,600 by "jeffrush27" on 2/23/04. It just so happens that "jeffrush27" is the general sales manager at the dealership selling the car. Pretty slick, bidding on your own car to drive up the price. What have you got to lose? NOTHING! If you end up high bidder, you're stuck with the car. Seems he lost "interest" once he was outbid with time running out. Having never used e-bay, I wondered if this is common practice?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick posted the e-bay link on 2/17/03 under "painting an Insight" www.
Check out Hoffman Honda's website @ http://www.hoffmanauto.com and look at the general manager's name. Could "jeffrush27" and the general manager be one in the same?
P.S. The auction ended Monday $100 above the seller/bidder's last bid.

·
Registered
453 Posts
report it to ebay
and email the buyer.

better yet whats the item number?

I've emailed the buyer with the link to this page

·
Registered
453 Posts
i looked at some of the previous auctions and "jeffrush" was never a bidder.

He might have just wanted the car??>>

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The general manager buying a car form his own dealership on e-bay?
Why? I would think he of all people would be able to get the best price possible.

·
Registered
700 Posts
el_vacho said:
Holicow said:
http://www.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-shill-bidding.html

I couldn't find the car listed currently. Is the auction over?

What would he say if questioned? "I wanted the car for myself, so I was bidding on it." :?

Riiiiiight....

If you still have the auction link, report it.
I thought that sort of thing was against ebay's policies.
Well, that's all explained in the link above. And if something seems wrong, it probably is...

Scott,

How do you know that the bidder is the person you think they are? The bidder name may just be close, and I don't know how you can identify someone through eBay. Do you know this person?

Interestingly, there is a "jtcrush22" also listed as a bidder.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sadly shell bidding isn't all that uncommon, but most of the time at least the person is smart enough to hide it better. Probably a good indicator of this is when the user id is kept private, then you can't see who's been bidding.

·
Registered
652 Posts
E-bay

I have bought two Hybrids on E-bay. In both cases I feel I got a good deal. The first was my 00 Insight which was purchased new and the second a 01 Prius purchased used. In the case of the Honda I was the only bidder and got it at the starting price (roughly 4K below MSRP) and they even added cruise control. This was Phil Bachman Honda's first experience using E-bay and they did not have a reserve and the Insight was not that well know so perhaps that was why they were no other bids.
In the case of the Prius I purchased it from Bobby Murray Toyota and it only had 3 bids and I was able to get it for less than the KBB trade in value. The car was better than described in regards to condition and this was also their first experience selling on E-bay (No reserve and they didn't even identify themselves as a Toyota dealership). I was interested in the 02 Insight but it sold for far more than its KBB value. Their was also a 03 insight with less than 100 miles being sold as used in the last week. Anyway here are my tips on e-bay.
1. Don't get caught up in the auction process. Determine your max price and limit your bid to a value below that. If it is used use KBB to help determine its trade in value (Just in case you don't like it).
2. Either have the car inspected or buy from that make dealership. I felt very comfortable dealing with a Honda or Toyota dealership selling their own make despite the 0 feedback level. If it had been an individual or something like Randys used cars I would have wanted to see it first. I didn't tracked VIN numbers but their was a green insight that was being offered perhaps a year ago at a very low price with only 6K miles. I think that same car sold several times and must have had some issues. I am sure their is plenty of fraud on E-bay. I think dealing with reputable dealers helps protect against that. Have fun, RIck

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
SeanW said:
Look closely... 8)
Finally, after five minutes, :? , I saw it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts