Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an 2000 Insight on Ebay with 253,000 miles :!: The picture of the instrument display shows a full battery charge. Wonder if they are the original batterys? Anyone know anything about this Insight? I asked the seller about the batterys, but being a used car dealer and not the owner, they probably won't know. Would be nice to know if the batterys could last that long.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I saw that. Considering it's a mid 2000 serial # that car had about 60K a year put on it. I'm not so sure about Honda's cylindrical cells compared to the prismatic toyota uses, but I was reading on Priusonline and they had one member with a 01 that had a quarter million miles on it before the battery pooped out. There is hope, but it's likely a trade in a dealership bought and put on ebay. Let us know.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Even if it has the original batts, with that mileage you should be able to get it for a song, leaving plenty left over for a new pack if necessary.

If everything else is OK, that is, and with that many miles, I would have it inspected VERY closely including compression.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If those miles are mostly highway miles, then the battery pack is probably fine. It's Stop and Go traffic with heavy assist/charge cycles that wears down the battery. That and heat.

LMPG is 58.0, not great, not bad.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got an answer from the seller about the batterys. He wrote, "I don't no".

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I asked the seller a question yesterday and got a response today...
Here is what I asked the seller:

Dear affinitypreown,

Hello, I was wondering if you know (or have any records) that the 144v battery pack (under the cargo area) was replaced and if so at what mileage on the odometer?.... Also does the current battery pack still hold a charge after a day or two parked?... Thanks

Here is the response:

I just check and no the battery does not hold a charge.

JoeCVT

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't say much for the guy's english, but at least he answered the questions. Don't think I'd buy a car from him(or her) though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The car has real problems. It says the"sync grows" are bad for 2nd and 3rd gears. I had bad "syncros" in my 96 GEO metro w/100K miles on it, and it was going to cost me $1500 to rebuild the trans and replace the clutch (the trans on the metro only weighed about 50 pounds).

I decided to not repair it which resulted in my purchasing my new 04 Insight.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Holicow:

Holicow said:
Sounds more and more like a parts donor.
___You are probably more correct then not on that account. Do a quick lookup of a 2000 Honda Insight w/ A/C and 253,000 miles that is in poor condition over at KBB. The guy spent more to list her then its worth in terms of both Private Party and Trade In Value :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:lfq5bbt7][email protected][/email:lfq5bbt7]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts