Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An article mentioned that European drivers crash less than American drivers and yet go faster. I hate to admit it, but it's true, particulary in Germany. The cars are required to be in good condition and drivers are more alert.

This is how I'm comparing Insight drivers - they are more alert.

article said:
...At German speeds, drivers are less likely to become distracted — they don’t shave, put on makeup, play with the CD changer or do the various things that lead to American drivers taking their eyes off the road...
This is the article: http://www.mrtraffic.com/worlddrivers.html

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
You could argue that Insight drivers are less alert because they're hypnotized by the FCD :)

I have driven in Germany. The way people obey simple rules of the road like "stay to the right, pass on the left, yield to the person coming up from behind" makes for a remarkably better driving experience.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the link. Can't remember the last time I laughed so much !

"....... German drivers actually obey the rules, he says. They don’t cruise in the left lane, they keep both hands on the wheel and act predictably ....."

- "...obey the rules...": them the drivers make up themselves
-"...cruise in the left lane...": no, they RACE in the left lane, leaving absolutely NO space to the car in front (I've seen Mercedes vans and Landcruisers doing 160-170 kph trying to crawl up my exhaust.....)
-"...act predictably...": very predictably, they flash their lights if you're doing 120 kph on the inside lane and a Beamer or a Merc comes from behind. As if they OWN the motorway.........

In general the Germans just drive on the Autobahns like a bunch of nobs.
(I can say that because I'm British)
I just prefer the relaxed and laid back driving on US roads .

And anyhow:
It's not the fault of the American public if big companies think they can save money in cost of safety (tyres, drum brakes instead of discs on rear axles of cars...)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. 166 said:
...I just prefer the relaxed and laid back driving on US roads...
not in LA, the East Coast, Miami, or Dallas! Rural areas are perhaps laid-back.

Some of the descriptions of the Autobahn sounds like the George W. Bush Tollway. :shock:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've been to Dallas, Miami, L.A. and other places in the US.
Also driven big distances in Australia, Canada(Territories)......
Maybe a misconception, but I noticed them all as being more relaxed than over here.
You just need to cross the border to Switzerland, Belgium or Holland for instance and it's a completely different driving :)

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
not in LA
LA drivers have an unjustified reputation for behaving poorly. They are actually quite polite. For instance, if you signal to make a lane change, you have a reasonable expectation that someone will let you in, maybe not the first person, but someone. In Chicago, for example, signalling means people will actively try to block you. It creates this incentive to not signal. Then people watch to see if you're going to try to change lanes without signalling, so you have to just move over without looking. This bears repeating - there are parts of the USA where there is a very strong incentive for people to change lanes without looking. The problem with LA is not the drivers behaving badly, it's just that there are so many of them.

Don't even get me started on Cape Cod traffic, where traffic laws are essentially deactivated every summer. You can routinely expect someone in front of you to slam on the brakes unexpectedly, and you can routinely expect oncoming traffic to make left turns in front of you without warning.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The couple of times I've been in California, it seems like while the drivers were aggressive, they had less of an attitude than in Dallas.

Dallas is very bad about blocking anyone that signals a lane change so most people don't signal. In neighboring Oklahoma, signaling lane changes is required by law.

Another nasty Dallas driving habit - speeding past others when exiting the freeway instead of slowing down.

About a year ago, this poll listed the worst US drivers by city:

1. NYC
2. Miami
3. Boston
4. Dallas
5. LA

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. 166 said:
...flash their lights if you're doing 120 kph on the inside lane and a Beamer or a Merc comes from behind. As if they OWN the motorway.........
Strange, as I was exiting for the Bush Tollway, a BMW tried to cut in line in front of me while a Mercedes was behind me.

Couple of questions for No. 166:

1. Can people still drive as fast as they want on the Autobahn?

2. Is there a law trucker can't drive on the Autobahn on Saturday nights?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree delta, I have lived in wisconsin, florida, Louisianna, ohio and texas, traveled to 45 states, and Dallas rates with those that suck the most. Many places have agressive drivers, lack of signaling etc, but I NEVER have seen the amount of rude blocking driving, just for the sake of it, as here. They get off on "possesing the road", and living in the passing lane going slow. They then nail it when you try to pass on the right. I love the idiots who hold up miles of traffic in the left lane, then cross two lanes when 4 car lengths from their exit (get the most road blocking possible). Makes me want an old truck with basher bars.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thats great. Since there generally isn't enough traffic around here to effectively block, the big thing seems to be that other drivers want to show you "just how close you came" to hitting them. If you pull into traffic, you can guarantee that most other drivers will either speed up, or wait till the very last second then slam on the brakes so they are positioned right on your bumper. If you try and pass, they will usually speed up at least 5mph, then slow back down once you are around. I used to have a car with a good cruise control. Could almost guarantee that I would catch up to someone, pull out to pass, I would have to bump the speed up several MPH, then I could coast back down once I was around.

Just yesterday I was exiting the interstate, so I turned on the blinker and began the long coastdown to maximize regen. There is only one car behind me and all other lanes are clear for several hundred yards. So of course he proceeds to ride my bumper and as I exit, I look over and he wound up actually riding about 1/2 car width on my side of the white stripe that designates the exit lane... just so he could show me how close I came to getting in his way.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
It could be worse; if you want to be really scared try going for a taxi ride in Istanbul, Turkey. The taxi drivers have to be certified as insane before they are allowed behind the wheel! :lol: For example, 80mph in urban areas with only two feet between the side of the taxi and oncoming traffic (no barrier), plus only two feet between the taxi and the car in front. Recommend closing your eyes!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
Couple of questions for No. 166:

1. Can people still drive as fast as they want on the Autobahn?

2. Is there a law trucker can't drive on the Autobahn on Saturday nights?
The RECOMMENDED speed limit is 130 kph if it's not signposted otherwise.
So if you for instance get involved in an accident you could end up paying your part only for travelling over the recommended speed.
If you mind that: Yes in most cases you COULD drive as fast as you wish :wink:

Under normal circumstances trucks aren't allowed on the roads on weekends from 1800 hrs(I think it was) Saturday until 2200hrs Sunday. Exceptions are for instance trucks transporting fresh produce..... :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts