Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Insight ownership business can sometimes be a significant challenge. I bought mine 1 year ago, only got 46 mpg (mixed driving) on my last tank fill up today. The computer said 56. I got 59 (computer ) on the way home with the wrong tires and a dirty EGR plate and valve, but I had Virginia Sunoco 93. The difference was very apparent 5 minutes after filling up. I could more easily get into lean burn mode and stay there longer. Cross checking the mileage numbers gallons pumped and odometer miles only varied by 1-3 mpg. I don’t usually need the AC.

With a 10.8:1 compression ratio, running with 87 or 89 should cut down efficiency and MPGs. That high compression ratio, is a purposeful choice by Honda to increase efficiency. Most automobile engines have a significantly lower compression ratio and the MPG will not improve with Premium fuel.

I have installed the RE92s and had the EGR System cleaned. I have used a can of Sea-foam. The engine runs smooth, but about 5 times an hour, it hesitates once on the highway. Not sure if this is normal going in and out of lean burn?! Or if this is being caused by a incorrect O2 sensor? At this point, I’m not sure if I have made any real net gain! I will have the valve lash readjusted and the correct upstream O2 sensor changed in 10 days. And my Mechanic will check for error codes. Then, if I can’t get 60mph on trips, I am out of ideas to try, GAME OVER!

As I said in the other threads, the previous owner’s maintenance records show 2 dealer visits for Diagnostics and Intake flushing, in a months time. With the Lifetime [email protected], I don’t think the Dealer had any idea what the problem was. I was told by a Technician at a local Dealership, “If we can’t pull a code, we can’t help you with MPG issues”! I’m willing and eager to go the “extra mile,” to conquer this problem(s), but I’m running out of ammo!!

What do you all think?

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
I think. I went through this stuff with my first Insight. While the car has to be in proper operating condition, this isn't the complete answer. The answer is YOU. When you learn to drive the car everything will fall into place. Mileage is more about the driver and driving conditions than it is the car.

A properly tuned Insight doesn't get better fuel mileage on Premium.

Fix stuff one thing at a time.

Get an OBDIIC&C gauge so you can monitor things and know when you're REALLY in lean burn.

Compare day-to-day sections of your daily commute using the FCD to measure. Figure out what works. Sometimes it is very subtle.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,188 Posts
As a long time owner and a sometimes hyperiler(see signature), don't be fooled by all this talk of super high MPG numbers. People who are getting 90-110 MPG are doing it with some very special driving techniques. Those who can get 120 MPG are doing the "no holds barred sacrifice of all creature comfort routine, i.e. no A/C at at 90F, tires at 80psi, FASing a lot, driving very slow, etc. Frequently they are driving level ground and just brag about hot weather numbers (the car loves hot weather). In western Maine, you are suffering a handicap that others don't face - temperature. The best MPG numbers are set on hot days. On average, you have fewer of those than most owners. In most of the country, the difference between summer and winter is tremendous, so your generally cool weather is hurting you. Your winters are MPG killers!

When the car had a lifetime combined fuel economy of 53.6 it was actually .6 better than the EPA (53combined, 49 city, 61 highway), so the dealer didn't think there was anything wrong with the car!

Here are a few lessons I learned from others, in rough priority:
1. Nothing hypes MPG quicker than using a FAS circuit, shutting the engine off when opportunity arrises.
2. Slowing down helps. If in no hurry and under no pressure, 32 mpg in 5th has alway been a sweet spot. If you are trying to get somewhere, 52-54 in 5th is also a good spot.
3. Use high air pressures. 55-60psi is pretty common for folks who fixate on mpg. For competition, I have used 80psi.
4. As rainsux says, technique is very important. Try to use a "locked knee" stability on the accelerator. Keep an eye on the fuel consumption gauge. Try to drive so that it is as stable as possible and doesn't jump around.
5. Get in/stay in Lean Burn as much as possible. When in LB, try to stretch it as much as possible, even letting the car lose a couple of MPH on slight hills. The higher load you can maintain in LB, the better.

The best fuel is 87 octane, w/o alcohol if available. Direct comparisons to other cars compression ratio is a trap. The Insight head is designed for high compression on 87 octane. When you go to 93 octane you are substituting antiknock additives for the energy producing part of the gasoline. If you read widely on the subject, you will find this a uniform opinion.

+1 on everything rainsux says.

Get an OBDII C&C gauge so you have a positive indication of LB. It also has all sorts of other advantage which I leave to other threads.

After you have the gauge, go out on a good isolated, reasonably level stretch of road and practice. Find out what works and doesn't work. We have all fought this battle. When you get some of those 80-90F days you will get some number up where other hypermilers are residing:)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your input; it takes time to learn all you just gave me. As for the EPA ratings, I’m a little confused. In the document file I got with the car, I have the original EPA window sticker; it is 60/66mpg!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be satisfied to get 60 mpg at 90 degrees, on the Flat-Lander’s highway.

Then it would all be slicker than a fresh cow pattie, in the middle of a black tar road, on a hot summer day!

WOW 💰💎

·
Registered
456 Posts
Fwiw

I have a 2001 MT. Last year I was getting in the mid-50's for MPG. That was up from the low-50"s I was getting with Michelins. The Bridgestone RE92's added about 5 MPG. This year I am getting in the low to mid-60's. The difference? Nothing in the hardware or software. But I have had more practice in economical driving. I run 0W-20 Mobil 1 Extended Service, 38# front, 35# rear. I use my foot to caress the gas pedal. You'll get the good numbers as you drive your Insight more.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,188 Posts
Here is the pic.
The numbers I gave are what the EPA website currently lists. It's old history, but iirc the EPA found that Honda had not properly followed the test cycle and made them restate their numbers. I have no doubt that the window sticker was included at time of sale. In fact I have one of those window stickers also. Here is the link:

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=15606

If you have a regular commute, that is a good route on which to practice. You will soon begin to notice where you might be able to stretch LB, and other techniques. While in the "learning" phase, I'd recommend you just forget about tanks and concentrate on individual trips. That way your feedback is quick and you have a good chance to evaluate what you are doing. You will certainly begin to notice seasonal variations. Summer officially starts June 21st, so you will soon be moving into your best weather.

There are mods you could try if you like tinkering with the aerodynamics, but that isn't for everyone.

·
Linsight Designer
1,788 Posts
I don't know enough about octane to have a valid comment, but I'll note that the green service manual clearly states that Insight's minimum fuel octane is 91... maybe that's Honda's way of saying mileage will suffer with 87...

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use gas and alcohol . 97 MPG For 800 miles. I have been driving the car 65 miles to work almost 65 miles back . I stay one and a half to two second Seconds behind semi trucks that have the boat tail on them. Look for their boat tail it gives you better mileage. For 7 miles I got 101 miles per gallon at 70 miles an hour behind a truck . I also hunt an stalk slower semi trucks you get better at 65 than 70 even better at 60 if you can find the guys. Most of them are in a bigger hurry than me. That's why I am below 100 mpg on the last 800 miles. I'm driving more than 45 and 50 mph. When I take my time close to 120 mpg.The 108 mpg for 35 miles is the result of the Dairy Queen .you can be in the 120/---/130 mpg range mostly highway. Go to the D A I R Y Q U E Ennnnnnnnn and the mileage will go down . Because of stop and go traffic and signing autographs. Co-op – Dairy Queen - see the new baby stop -go to the supermarket put the hurt on the mileage. But you gotta go. I've also done 10 or 11 modification and three are responsible for most of my mileage gains. It also helps I live downhill from home to work and downhill from work to home it's just the Dairy Queen that gets you in the long run.how about a Butterfinger blizzard to go please!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Higher compression before combustion means higher efficiency, cleaner burn, more bang for your buck and more energy obtained from the same quantity of fuel ⛽

·
Registered
841 Posts
When talking about compression and such this YouTube video comes up to mine !that's one of the most inspirational jaw dropping haunting grab a hold of your attention video's I have ever witnessed. Especially the silk stockings and the compression values they have achieved don't even need a spark plug .on the evolutionary path I'm on with "Quasimodo Igor Frankenstein "or my number one car I would like to copy their design

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
I looked up MC Escher . I'm trying to understand cars I think he's trying to understand women. But I do feel right at home in some of his insight's

·
Registered
96 Posts
I looked up MC Escher . I'm trying to understand cars I think he's trying to understand women. But I do feel right at home in some of his insight's
I dunno. His stairs appear to go all the way to the bottom, then back up again. I'm betting that your stares, when it comes to women, do the same, even if your elevator doesn't exactly make it to the top floor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts