Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found somebody that might be able to order parts for the Insight from Japan.

"I SHOULD BE ABLE TO FULFILL YOUR REQUESTS. WHAT ITEMS ARE YOU LOOKING
FOR? IF YOU HAD A LIST OF ITEMS YOU WANTED I COULD HAVE THEM DROP
SHIPPED TO YOU FROM JAPAN. LET ME KNOW.

THANK YOU,
Garrett Hoboy
Advantage Imports
2602 Commercial Ave
Anacortes, WA 98221
360-299-8252
[email protected]

I'd love to have the Japan model front fenders with the side markers.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Speaking of Japanese Insight parts...

Does anyone know if the righthand drive Insights have a mirror in the righthand sunvisor? My girlfriend is always complaining about not having a mirror on her side. Then she says "this is a chic's car cos the makeup mirror is on the drivers side"... ugh... :roll:
I'd prefer to have a real rightside sunvisor w/ mirror rather than one of those clip-on mirrors. Is there a part number for one if it exists?

My mom is visiting our relatives in Japan so I'm making a list for her to get Japanese only parts for me from the Honda Dealership in Kyoto.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If your looking for the fenders I really don't think it would be worth it to get some special order ones from Japan. I know it would be possible to get some S2000 side markers, which are very similar if not the same, and use a S2000's side holes as a template and cut the fenders that are on the car.

Still, if you do find out post how much they would be. Parts from Japan tend to be very expensive.

The one japanese Insight part I would personally be more interested in would be the double din dash piece. I know a left side drive double din piece could be made.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Sparky5501 said:
Does anyone know if the righthand drive Insights have a mirror in the righthand sunvisor?
Yes, Japanese Insights have a mirror on the right hand side. I'll have a look in the next few days and see if I can see a part number embossed.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Sparky5501, Silver Streaker, cakley-

I’d be interested in that (visor) part number too; my wife has said (about) the same thing! How could they have given the driver a mirror and not the passenger? They must have intended this car for solo passengership. Obviously they did not consider the potential damage to the male ego… :roll:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Your totally right. My girlfriend has made the same comment about having just one mirror on the drivers side.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Folks-

Maybe a group order of right side Japanese visors (with “vanity” mirrors)? If we can find the part # and price. I’d be willing to put some extra time into repackaging, mailing etc if it worked out.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
If you can get the right color (I guess mine is gray - I never look) - sign me up.

Jim

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi folks-

I will contact Garrett in a couple of days with preliminary questions:
-cost/shipping
-parts #s
-group discount
-guarantee etc
-delivery time

afaik there are only 2 interior colors: ‘00-03: (grey?) ‘04: beige. Right? Does anyone know if the colors are the same for Japanese models?

Does anyone have any experience with Garrett Hoboy/Advantage Imports?

When I get a response from Garrett I will start a new thread.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Just to let you know, I checked my right hand side vanity mirror and sorry, it does not have any part numbers on it. Mine has a long diatribe in Japanese about the SRS system and a wallet style card holder on it (hadn't noticed the card holder before!). Sorry I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine has a long diatribe in Japanese about the SRS system and a wallet style card holder on it.
That would be so nice to have a card holder to hold the Insight "wallet" info handouts. :wink:

Thanks for checking Silver Streaker. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd be interested in importing a sun visor as well. Let me know if you guys order maybe we can split shipping. Let me know.

Thanks,
bjordan

·
Registered
351 Posts
I emailed Garrett last Tues. eve. I haven’t heard back yet. I’ll call him next week.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Japanese right side visors (with vanity mirror)

I spoke to Garrett by phone last Mon 5/10. He said he thought he could help us. He said he would call back in “a few days” with a price breakdown.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi yusuke-

Thank you so much! Let me see if I can do this; 3400yen @~114yen/$ ~$30US…markup/shipping…$60+ by the time they get here…I’m not sure how many folks would want to spring for that. Oh well we’ll see what Garrett has to say.
Would not know anyone who might be interested in a swap: our left for your right?...No wait we’d have to swap both of them.

One more question: I have made the assumption that Japanese interior colors are the same as North American: 00-03-grey, 04-beige, do you know if this is right?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Dan, I doubt if shipping would cost $30+. The visors weigh almost nothing.
Parts list that I own is from '99 and lists as "light-grey" (in katakana). It should be the same from '99-'03. Only difference I know of '04 model is that they have LED taillights and an immobilser. I would have to ask the dealer about the interior colors.

I feel like I need a mirror on the left side too.
Drivers side is still useful to me, brushing my teeth etc. I almost live inside insight :oops:

Oh, btw I'm looking for a foreign(North American) 5-speed ECU. I just had mine replaced under warranty because of the "engine stall" problem and now its working fine, but I feel confortable with a spare. I should get one of those before it hesitates again and Honda charges me 60000yen :twisted:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi yusuki- The $30+ I added also included an importer’s markup. (It was just a guess.) Thanks for the info! Ooh! LED taillights! I bet some folks here might be interested in that.

I think you are right. I don’t think the “swap” idea could catch on. I do not think many folks would want to give up the driver’s mirror for the passenger’s.

I am not tech enough to know why the North Am. ECU is different from the Japanese. (Emissions?) I ‘m not even sure I know what an ECU is (the “computer?”) But that is just me, I’m sure someone else here does.

I think the ability to “almost live” in an Insight is most commendable! I wish I could simplify my needs enough to do that.

Are Insights very common in Tokyo? Do people have to order and wait for certain models? I hope you do not mind my asking. I think it is so interesting hearing the different perspectives from other countries. I can only speak for myself though, (when one is from Berkeley one quickly learns that people from much of the rest of the US often feel differently about many things than we do here.) :shock:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts