Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY NEW INSIGHT THAT I CALL THE SILVERFISH ( 2000 MODEL )
HAS A VERY PECULIAR PROBLEM .

THE REAR HATCH OPENS NORMALLY WHEN IT IS COLD OUTSIDE
BUT WHEN IT IS HOT , LIKE IN THE SUNLIGHT , THE MECHANISM IS INOPERABLE !

I REALIZE THAT THE HANDLE YOU THINK IS OPENING THE LATCH IS JUST AN ELECTRIC BUTTON
BUT IT IS REALLY STRANGE THAT IT WOULD CUT IN & OUT ACCORDING TO OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE .

EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS NORMALLY , EVEN THE REMOTE LOCKS WITH THE KEY FOB .

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
There is little plastic cam in the latch motor which frequently breaks. Sometimes it partially breaks and gives strange symptoms like you are experiencing. I'd remove and open up the motor to check the cam. Some guy on here sell 3D printed replacements which are stronger. I don't have the right links handy, so do some searching using the search function above. I think some of the threads are called "whirring trunk latch."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is little plastic cam in the latch motor which frequently breaks. Sometimes it partially breaks and gives strange symptoms like you are experiencing. I'd remove and open up the motor to check the cam. Some guy on here sell 3D printed replacements which are stronger. I don't have the right links handy, so do some searching using the search function above. I think some of the threads are called "whirring trunk latch."

SOUNDS LIKE THE PROBLEM CAN BECOME PERMANENT .
I WILL HAVE A LOOK . I CAN PROBABLY MACHINE A NEW CAM FROM BRASS .

THANKS !

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
I think everything you need to know is in this thread:

The replacement 3D printed part is only $15, so hardly worth machine work ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts
EVERYONE, please stop this griping about all caps. We have gone through this before and RIMSPOKE just doesn't agree with the larger part of the internet on this "standard." Lets not turn his valid question into another quest -we already had one. Take one of two courses: ignore his posts entirely or, ignore his all caps and contribute anyway. Stick to the original post or go away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts