Honda Insight Forum banner

Insight prepurchase questions and CEL codes

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  subsea 
#1 ·
I've finally visited the only dealer selling insight in our city and got the car inspected by my friend mechanic. We also pulled the CEL error codes (CEL light was ON, IMA light was off) by the method described in this forum (pin 9 to ground) http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3161

Here is what we found. Please sorry for my English:
1. The engine vibrates a little bit harder then it should. It could be due to the broken pad(the rubber thing the enigne rests on). The tachometer display increases for one point for some time and then goes back (revs not stable?). Or it could be bad spark plugs(we didn't check them).
2. The engine gives "tripling" (I don't know how to say it in english, it is just a sound of cylinders working worng). But maybe this triple sound maybe due to 3 cylinders instead of 4??
Do we need some additional diagnostic? Maybe cylinder compression check?
3. We got the car lifted. The suspension is overall good though a peer needs to be replaced(100$)
4. There was some kind of leakage on the ceiling near the trunk. I am just worring that it is not the "drowned" (a lot of them are sold here after flood in europe). Here is the photo:
http://subsea.hotmail.ru/insight/IMAGE_00042.jpg

And now the CEL codes:

I need your help guys on figuring these codes out.

THe strangest thing is: after we got the codes, one of the dealer workers started the engine and pressed the pedal till 3000 rev's for about 2 minutes. The battery charged to max and the CEL light disappered!! And didn't light when we restarted the car. What could that be?

See less See more
#2 ·
And now the CEL codes:
If this is a 2000 year MT?:
Code 22 = P1259 = VTEC System Malfunction
Code 41 = P1166,P1167,P0134 = A/F Sensor Malfunction
Code 48 = A/F Sensor Circuit Malfunction
Code 71 = P0301 = No. 1 Cylinder Misfire detected
Code 72 = P0302 = No. 2 Cylinder Misfire detected
Code 73 = P0303 = You Guessed it! No. 3 Cyl. Misfire detected
Code 94 = P1541,P1542 = HTRS Passenger Compartment Heater Standby Signal Circuit High or Low Input.

I think these are right, I have a new 2000-2006 Service Manual from HelmInc.
Good Luck!
:shock: - Jim

#3 ·
Codes 71, 72, 73, are probably related to the rough engine sound. This could be caused by too rich a mixture. Since the mixture is controlled by the computer it could be computer or sensor related. If the car is tested for emissions this would show up as unburned hydrocarbons, (raw gasoline). The A/F sensor problem would likely be the air/fuel sensor. In this case it is saying that the sensor circuit is malfunctioning. This could be the cause of the overly rich mixture that caused the 71,72, 73 codes, and the low gas mileage. So......fix the sensor circuit and five of the codes will go away, the car will run smoother, and the gas mileage will go up. Then deal with the other two codes. They might disappear as well if they are somehow related to the other codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.