Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a holding deposit down on 2006 silver 5-speed with A/C. Have the VIN number already, and the car should be arriving by the end of next week. I can't wait! And since I have all this excitement but am still sans auto, I'm spending my time here. :)

So with that in mind, does anyone have any advice for someone just about to purchase a new Insight? Any tips on extended warranties, breaking the car in, etc.? Any personal experiences to share?

(I looked for this sort of thing in a FAQ, btw, but didn't see anything. Did I just miss it? My apologies if so!)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pass on etching, lojack, extended warranties, etc. You can buy everything the dealer offers for much cheaper elsewhere. If you're interested in extended warranties, then look online.

extended:
http://www.warrantydirect.com/index.asp?url=asw
(my quote was 1/2 the quote of a dealer- not that I'll be getting one soon)

gap insurance:
http://www.gap-insurance.com/

Death and disbility insurance, if you want it, you should get from the institution your loan is coming from- I recommend getting a loan from a credit union or a source outside of the dealership.

I was just where you were a few weeks ago, and I understand the excitement! I just got mine and my BF and I are in love. We have the same insight you'll be getting! :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oh, basically scrutinize everything before you sign, and don't be afraid to be stern. I'm bad at being stern on the phone, but have no problem being stern in person.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! I just picked it up.

56 mpg on the freeway, only 44 in the city. I'm going to have to learn how to drive this thing correctly. But it really is quite fun to drive. Not a sports car by any means, but surprisingly zippy, I thought! I'm very happy. :D :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congrads!

I'm loving mine, although working from home, I don't get to drive it as much as my long-commuting BF (his commute is from 90-120 miles +/day).

It's really fun driving to maximize fuel efficiency- my record so far is 68mpg in heavy, but not slow traffic, thanks to all the tips I've read here!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, cattygurl!

Shame you're not getting to drive it that much. I think I'd like to take mine on a road trip from SF to Palm Springs next weekend. It'll give us a chance to bond. You and your bf should maybe consider doing something similar, not so much for the trip, but to give you an excuse to drive. :)

68mpg? Very nice. :) If I drive this the way I drove my del Sol, I'll be quite happy to get 50mpg. :lol: I'm going to have to spend some time reading through the tips here...

·
Registered
97 Posts
My BF and i will be going to AZ in 2 weeks, and another road rip to Gilroy for the Garlic Festival!

So yes, I'll be sure to be driving lots to make up for lost time.

Basically, whoever drives more miles that day gets the insight- and since I work out of the house, I lose. However, that means I get to look forward to my meetings in LA. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts