Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new insight owner, I bought a 2000 with 38,000 miles. I bought it on ebay motors and have not driven it yet as it's in Missouri and my brother is going to drive it out here next month.
It's going to be a real change for me, I currently own and drive a 2004 Nissan Titan truck. I'm in the process of moving to a new house that will have me driving 65 miles work, with the fuel prices here now that would cost me a fortune to drive the titan and that brings me to my question. Has anyone heard of a CNG conversion kit available for the insight? I was thinking that along with the high milage, although somewhat reduced on CNG, would be another significant cost savings for me in my commuting fuel bill.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
There has been some minor discussion about CNG/Propane in the past, but nothing much. If I recall someone messed with squirting a little bit of propane in to the intake and it worked somewhat, but not much more than that. As a rule of thumb almost no one makes anything for the Insight due to it's limited production. The problem with natural gas is you need really high compression to really get the benefits from it. The Civic GX has a 12.5:1 compression ratio, and while the Insight is 10.8:1 it's still not high enough to get the full benefit, which means there'd be a big mileage hit.

Actually, there might be a kit available for your Nissan. Check http://www.technocarb.com , my dad has a 01 Ford F-150 with a dual fuel Propane kit on it. Propane is currently $1.60 here so that's been working out really well.

Ohh, they're going to be selling the Civic GX at retail soon combined with an at home refueling compressor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts