Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standard Insight rear springs allow bottoming-out on roughish roads.

Daewoo Matiz rear springs are a direct drop-in replacement. Same free
length, slightly stiffer.

If changing to them, make sure you also swap over the rubbery plastic
sleeves that slip over the bottom few Honda spring coils. (Otherwise
there's lots of boooiiiinnnng noises!)

Rear of car rides a little higher (perhaps 20mm or so) but bottoming-
out is substantially reduced. Here in Australia, springs were AUD$30 a pair
from a local wrecking yard.

The improvement in handling from the slightly stiffer rear springs is
quite pronounced. As expected, less understeer. There's a smidgin of
throttle-off oversteer but it's small.

The trade-off in ride comfort
is zero - the stiffer rear springs might be expected to give a worse
ride but without the rear bottoming-out, in fact the ride is far
better than standard. The rear dampers could now be a touch stiffer
(the car feels a little under-damped)but the standrad dampers are
quite acceptable.

Julian Edgar

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Wow Julian, thanks for that find. Does the car ride higher, perhaps a tad? :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is great info, but for us in the States, it looks like there is little hope of finding the springs. I googled Matiz, but it's a small car that doesn't appear to have ever been marketed here.

I'd beg someone in the appropriate part of the world to scrounge a pair for me, but the shipping costs would probably be prohibitive.

Again, though, thanks for the heads up. - Pat

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
For information, Daewoo were taken over by General Motors and the cars are now badged Chevrolet in Europe. Nevermind...I doubt they are selling them next to the standard Chevy's in the USA...if you want a quiet chuckle see:

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that the piece of the springs plus shipping to the US would still be quite low compared to other approaches.

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
well I recomend running the numbers....

Porky <[email protected]> had some custom springs made for his Insight to do the same thing, but were made specifically for the Insight by a company that does this all the time they increased the spring load / rear weight by 35% and do not change the ride height at all...

In April of 2006 Porky was still selling them for about $250 total for the custom made spring including shipping anywhere in the U.S.

We know the cost of the brand new custom made spring..... What is the Number of U.S. Dollars for the used Daewoo Matiz alternative??? Crunch the numbers and see what the actual difference is.... A Quick search on line I was not able to find Daewoo Matiz Rear Springs anywhere to buy... So I can't crunch that until I find a Price for them and shipping.

Just an FYI unless you know a much much much cheaper way to send the springs....

FedEx estimates if sent Monday Oct 9 could get a 10 Lbs package from Australia to the U.S. by Oct 16 for ~$225 .... With custom made brand new spring being shipped anywhere in the US for $250... after the shipping cost that leave ~$25 to buy the springs with before you just break even with getting the brand new custom made ones.... so the ONLY way it would make any sense at all is first if you can find a much much much cheaper way to ship them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[shrug]

Using Australia Post, and giving myself AUD$10 for the trouble of going to the wrecker, I work out the following amounts, which include both freight and the price of the springs:

Australia Post International Post - US$91
Australia Post Air - US$87
Australia Post Sea - US$65.

I don't want to tell you guys which end is up but I would have thought that US$65 was a lot less than US$250.

Work it out for yourself:

http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/int_parcel.asp
http://www.xe.com/ucc/
Wrecker spring cost: AUD$30 a pair
My fee: AUD$10

·
Registered
105 Posts
Julian -

Wow, and I didn't end up having to beg ... hardly at all. Sign me up, if you would please, and let me know how to work out the details with you. You can PM me, if you'd like, or reach me at: tubesguy _at_ gmail _dot_ com.

Again, thanks for doing the homework on this and being the guinea pig. - Pat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've emailed you, tubesguy. There seems to be a bit of a rush on Matiz springs at the wrecker but I think that right now there are two pairs there.

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
julian said:
I don't want to tell you guys which end is up but I would have thought that US$65 was a lot less than US$250.
I agree....

I did not know about Australia Post myself . . . which is why I said a much much cheaper shipping method would be needed . . . and that definately is a much much cheaper shipping method than FedEx. . . .

So you are estimateing between $65 US and $90 US for the Daewoo Matiz rear springs which is much cheaper than the $250 of a brand new custom made set of rear springs. . .

·
Administrator
12,313 Posts
Rear Springs

Hi

Can some one confirm what year cars we are talking about here, did not the matiz go through several incarnations? Exact Model and year?

Can the original poster still confirm they are happy with this mod?

Thanks for the effort, I agree this looks a lot better than $250

Does anyone know the free length, diameter and rate of Insight rear springs?

Peter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Photo of model of Matiz - http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/ve ... y=DAEW01AP

VERY happy with changed springs. Had to bring home a heavy load the other day and the suspension didn't bottom-out at all. But still excellent in normal use. I will upgrade rear dampers some time - as with standard car, can feel under-damped on some surfaces.

Note: someone here took advantage of my offer to buy and supply some springs on their behalf. They should be getting them soon and I hope they post their results here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi folks -

My Daewoo springs from Julian arrived today. It's about 9 or 10 weeks, therefore, from Oz via sea mail. So total cost, about $65, if I recall, and a very manageable wait time. :D - Pat

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well Pat,

That's the name he wrote and by the content of his posts the "connection" he implied. But personally I don't believe everything I read on the Internet.

Nor is this on topic to the forums.

Julian should you choose to reply please do so in a PM. :)

Sincerely,

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can get some adjustable comp spec rear dampers that bolt straight on. We have used them on the rally car and they've been fine.

If anyone wants a price let me know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Coil Spring Specialties, in KS, makes custom-made springs, with a powder coat option. Back in '01 I sent them a front and a rear sample from my Insight, and they made new springs according to my requested height change and percentage change in increased stiffness. I believe I had asked for a 35% increase in stiffness with a .25" drop in height. CSS should still have the spring engineering specs on hand, since another Insight owner, the late Dr. Marc Webb, ordered from them months later with different requests for height and stiffness, and he did not need to re-send out a sample to them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts