Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally made it to an LMPG of 100.2mpg Imp over 60,000 miles.

Meter flipped over today after several weeks on 99.9mpg. A long steady 200 mile run at 125mpg helped push it over the magic 100mpg barrier.

Most Insight MK'1s can achieve > 100mpg but having the large phev capacity and mima means you can keep it up there all day!!!

The car has now done 120,000 miles but i reset lmpg when I bought it at about 60,000 miles.

Must have nearly 20,000 miles as phev now as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Congratulations, 83.3mpgUS is very impressive, and I'm sure you've been well above that mark over the last 20000mi.

How much electricity has it used, and how many KWh does it take to displace a gallon of gas, in practice?

·
Registered
120 Posts
good going Pete.

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should i reset it again now to get a phev lmpg? Or keep it going as is?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Should i reset it again now to get a phev lmpg? Or keep it going as is?
Why reset it now? You know you'll be doing more amazing mods that will further increase the fuel economy. Instead, you could devote one of the two trip mileage registers to your PHEV mileage until you make the next mod. I believe that these trip mileage registers will record up to 10,000 miles before resetting (hmm, I wonder whether they would reset at 10,000 km for those whose gauges are set to the metric system).

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nice work!!

Coincidentally, my Insight's LMPG is almost identical: 83.35 mpg US over 50,831 miles. All on gas: no PHEV. But it does have MIMA, which helps a lot. Incidentally, this number is gallons pumped versus miles on the odometer, but it agrees closely with the dash LMPG display.

Best trip was 150 miles in the summer at 109.5 mpg US = 131.5 mpg IMP; best tank was 10+ gallons at 102.7 mpg US.

I don't think either of us is setting a record. For example,
hightower (Randall) in OK has 95.42 mpg US over 84,000 miles (114.59 mpg IMP)
Right Lane Cruiser (Sean) in MN has 90.22 mpg US over 27,484 miles
and there are several others in that range as well.

So we have work to do, but it's nice to see what is possible.

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to reset it then to see how it fares from now on with LMPG and phev batteries a year old. I should have reset it when i did the conversion in hindsight!

Randall will be hard/impossible to beat even with the phev and mima epecially on my short daily commute (13 miles each way from cold).

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm going to reset it then to see how it fares from now on with LMPG and phev batteries a year old. I should have reset it when i did the conversion in hindsight!.
It just occurred to me that an alternative to resetting the LMPG is to simply log one's tanks in a spreadsheet. If one notes when a modification was made to the car, it's easy to calculate the LMPG overall, before the conversion, and after simply by combining the data in different ways.

My mpg was much lower for the first year until I learned to drive the car a bit better. Unfortunately, that data is dragging my average down.

·
Registered
602 Posts
believe that these trip mileage registers will record up to 10,000 miles before resetting
The A/B trip registers roll over at 2000 miles, but they continue to track MPG accurately (you just have to remember how many times they've rolled over).

I use a spreadsheet as well to track my MPG which has led me to discover that my calculated mileage is about 2% lower than what the car shows (58.5 on car versus 57.4 calculated).

My MPH shows the same discrepancy (compared to GPS and the occasional roadside radar speed sign).

I'd love to shoot for the big numbers I see in this thread, but my driving requirements make it impossible (200+ miles per day of stop and go city driving).

Maybe on my next vacation, I'll try for it!

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I reset it yesterday and have started using more assist to really push for the big numbers this year. It's pegged at 150mpg at the moment.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Finally made it to an LMPG of 100.2mpg Imp over 60,000 miles.

Meter flipped over today after several weeks on 99.9mpg. A long steady 200 mile run at 125mpg helped push it over the magic 100mpg barrier.

Most Insight MK'1s can achieve > 100mpg but having the large phev capacity and mima means you can keep it up there all day!!!

The car has now done 120,000 miles but i reset lmpg when I bought it at about 60,000 miles.

Must have nearly 20,000 miles as phev now as well.
83 mpg is very good but every competition I see for Insight mpg always shows the winner in excess of 125 mpgUS which astounds and awes me. I'd have to check for cleverness (ok I am involved with NASCAR).
I think I do well at 52 to 55 mpg in town and 55-62 on the interstate.
Where's Nelson when you need him.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am trying hard to improve for 4 months (10k) already and so far all achieved is 56 average with 70mpg once for a 55 mile round trip....

would not believe any claims for 82 mpg average over 20k or more miles. sorry

·
Registered
811 Posts
sorry, i meant i do not believe such mpg on a stock insight.

of course additional batteries , mima and hard work can bring the MPG in 100s and 150s zones. Congratiolations on the >100mpg achievement.

but my opinion is the unmodified insight 2000 capability is between 60 and 70 average for comutes ~ 50 miles round trip with 90% highway... will wait and see how it does with the summer gas...

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would not believe any claims for 82 mpg average over 20k or more miles. sorry
Remember my car is a PHEV, but even with a standard car high average mpg is achievable, check around on here it's well documented.

Mahout said:
83 mpg is very good but every competition I see for Insight mpg always shows the winner in excess of 125 mpgUS which astounds and awes me. I'd have to check for cleverness (ok I am involved with NASCAR).
I think I do well at 52 to 55 mpg in town and 55-62 on the interstate.
Where's Nelson when you need him.
I agree for short periods <1000 miles even standard cars can shoot for very high numbers, so much depends on conditions. If I was rolling across the flat plains of the US at lowish speed with good temps and little wind then astronomical figures would be possible. Perhaps 200mpg US with phev over say 100 miles :)

The figure I quoted is my average over 60,000 miles or so since owning the car. 45,000 miles of that without PHEV and UK winter cold etc over a few years.

Now I have reset it we should have a pure PHEV figure buidling over this next year or so.

Currently it's on 137mpg Imp after 100 miles since reset. I could use manual assist all the time to peg it at 150mpg but that's not a very relaxing or safe way to drive for long distances. I prefer Mima mode 2 with everything maxed out against the stops at the top end of the instant FCD as far as assist level and assist point are concerned.

I may add my phev IMA electric cruise control to the car this spring, I have the system working on the bench which may get higher numbers at the cost of increased battery usage.

It's all a very delicate balancing act between electric and IC engine, and you have to burn a minimum amount of fuel to get the engine upto operating temp every time you begin a journey. That is not an insignificant amount, especially during the winter, so it impacts a lot on your figures. Peter

·
Registered
685 Posts
If I was rolling across the flat plains of the US at lowish speed with good temps and little wind then astronomical figures would be possible.
Gently rolling terrain works better than dead flat. One uses more power going uphill but the tradeoffs are that the wider throttle openings burn fuel more efficiently, that part of the extra fuel is going into the potential energy from reaching a higher elevation, and that one can coast the downhills with the engine off. As long as the hills are gentle enough that assist is not needed this works well. It also helps if the downhills are gradual enough that one just maintains speed coasting (which is where higher tire pressures help to lengthen coasts and enable coasts on gentler downhills).

·
Registered
685 Posts
sorry, i meant i do not believe such mpg on a stock insight.

of course additional batteries , mima and hard work can bring the MPG in 100s and 150s zones. Congratiolations on the >100mpg achievement.

but my opinion is the unmodified insight 2000 capability is between 60 and 70 average for comutes ~ 50 miles round trip with 90% highway... will wait and see how it does with the summer gas...
My first four tanks before I got MIMA and while I was learning to drive the car were 75-77mpg (summer conditions). Mostly commuting about 35miles each way, mostly highway. This was also before I learned to slow down. Despite the great aerodynamics of the Insight-I, speed has a tremendous effect on fuel usage.

I use MIMA for:
- shutting off assist
- occasionally manually adding in more regen than the stock setup calls for
- shutting off the engine more safely and with less effort than keying off for coasts

From what MIMA has taught me, I think I could do much better than 77mpg without it. In fact, my best run 109.5mpg run was done before I knew about shutting off assist, so I might have come close to that just keying off.

The really high mpg numbers 125-165mpg are achieved under special conditions, low speeds, etc. They really fall under a special category outside of normal daily usage.

PHEV mpg's should also fall under a separate category because there is an additional (very efficient and inexpensive) energy input: external electricity. Certainly the gasoline "mpg's" achievable will depend on the size of the battery pack and the distance traveled between recharges.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thank you for the tips, will try to improve.
I am still missing most of the underbody panels and that may be affecting mileage,
but today managed to get to 78 mpg over a total of 50 miles comute. the day was very warm and no wind. I drove 90% highway, speeds between 44 and 65 mph
this is my best roundtrip so far.

I try hard for several months already and also have changed sparkplugs, egr, front tires, have put synthetic oil in the engine and new mt fluid.

the rain decreases the mpg like 15 -20 miles even small drizzling rain , so am thinking probably the water rolling on the body of the car increases the aerodynamic drag (as well as the tires fighting with the water on the road)

thinking about a grid charger and a mima, may be those will help for further increase of the mpg.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts