Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that Insight drivers spend a lot of time driving. Yet, the seats must be the worst, in terms of comfort, of any car on the road. If I spend two hours behind the wheel, the lack of cushion support and low seating position leave me with plenty of aches and discomfort, something I've never experienced in any previous car I've owned.

I wondered if anyone has tried a pillow, bolster, or cushion to help overcome these torture seats. The new-age foam bed pillows looked like they might be well-suited... they would also provide a couple of extra inches of height, which might help with poor rear visibility. (I'm 5'9" tall.) One forum participant indicated that he raised his seats. I did a site search, but could not find documentation for this modification.

Any thoughts on seating solutions? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I know some people have used pillows to sit on, or behind their back or something. I have to agree, after a few hours they become somewhat uncomfortable.

I will mention though that I have gotten a ride in an Insight that had a Katzkin leather interior, which was so nicely fitted that the seats were a lot more stiff and supportive. I was only in it for maybe 20 minutes, but I think the difference in long trip comfort would be quite a bit.

Another thing I've seen done was they had some slip on pillows made to slide over the tops of the seat so you have a pillow for your head, these make sitting back much more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hello Steve; I raised my drivers seat 2 inches on the rear points and an inch and a half on the front points. I simply made 4 small wood blocks (walnut) , drilled the proper size hole, and bought some new metric bolts of the proper length. It worked perfectly; my goal being to sit with my head just 2 inches from the headliner. Visiblilty has improved. Billy......

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Billy:

___That sounds like an interesting mod I don’t ever remember reading about? Pics please :D

___Personally, I have sat in my Insight for > 17 hours in a stretch without any problems although I have never had a problem with any automobile except for the back seats of a 2001 Ford Taurus. The built in headrests of those aren’t really headrests and in ~ ½ hour I had one heck of a headache?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:slc8quo1][email protected][/email:slc8quo1]

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If you raise the seat note that the bolts are different diameters front and rear and they are metric 1.25 mm thread (I believe). As the seat belts are attached to the seat, your crash protection is only as good as your bolts. Therefor I would recommend socket head machine screws as they are the toughest bolt you can buy. The rear bolts have an anti loosening agent on them and will be difficult to undo the first time. Take care you don't strip or cross thread the bolts as they are threaded into aluminum.

The back if the seat unzips. You can put stiffening board and extra padding between the springs and the foam if you want to increase the lumbar support.

Personally I find the Insight has remarkably comfortable seats compared to other cars, but a typical ride for me is only 1 or 2 hours.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I have seen the installation in Normand's car, it is REALLY great. The knob to adjust the position and relatively easy to do.

I need to remember to do this mod.

I know about back pain. But I found the Insight seats to be better than my previous cars (Cherokee, Taurus, Large Cherokee, Firebird, Acadian,...)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yves M. said:
I know about back pain. But I found the Insight seats to be better than my previous cars (Cherokee, Taurus, Large Cherokee, Firebird, Acadian,...)
I've found the seat more comfortable than in my Celica with lumbar support...of course, seats do get squishy after many miles. But the upper back/shoulder support isn't as good.

The maximum amount of time I've spent behind the wheel of the Insight, however, is only about two hours 15 minutes, which is really nothing. When I drove the Celica up (one fourteen-hour day) only my neck was sore that night.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the problem with the seats.

Having recently returned from a marathon 7,500 mile road trip with approx 120-130 hours in my Insight, I have to say it's one of the most comfortable cars I've ever taken on a long road trip.

That being said, I'm 6'3" with size 16 shoes (usually boots) and weigh about 275... and I love driving it around.

-Phil

·
Registered
187 Posts
Although the insight is a compact car, maybe the seating design actually accomodates bigger passengers better.

The seats seem kind of low to me too and a bit hard. My husband is a big guy and he's driven very long stretches without problems. Of course it could be the bags of salted peanuts, cashews and cheese curls that he's munching while driving, which distract from any back pains. :?

There are "egg crate" seat cushions that might help. They are supposed to distribute body weight more evenly than flat cushions. Finding a stop, getting out of the car and walking/ stretching every few hours on a long trip should bring some relief, even though this is not a correction of the seating situation. Hope your back gets better.

·
Registered
569 Posts
sputnik said:
Although the insight is a compact car, maybe the seating design actually accomodates bigger passengers better.
You may be right. I am 5'6", 155lbs. I had no back problems driving from WV to Wyoming, but by the time I got to Arizona, my butt couldn't take it anymore :cry: I bought a orthopedic seat cushion and the rest of the trip was fine. The cushion however seems to have lost it's cushioning properties after a few months, so now I'm searching for something else as my commute is becoming increasingly uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My biggest long trip complaint was probably my knee personally. My legs naturally seem to spread apart with my heel on my right foot so it's directly under the brake pedal then I'd move it sideways to press the gas pedal. Over time this would result in a sore knee. I found on long trips I have to force myself to put my leg straight with the gas pedal, and on long trips for some reason taking my shoes off makes all the difference in the world.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts