Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Does this manual provide information on the proper oil flow rate or pressure. Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
652 Posts
Oil Pressure

Jim,
Thanks for the spec's. This weekend I hooked up oil pressure and temperature guages and wanted to know if my hook-up was causing any problems. I will have to check the values when at the specifications you provided but it looks very close. I am not a car mechanic or even close but the guage readings bring to mind a few questions.

1. The higher the RPM the greater the oil pressure (Is the oil pump driven by engine RPM?).

2. The lower the gear the higher the oil pressure (Even at the same RPM 1st gear has a much greater oil pressure reading that 5th). I see pressures of 70+ PSI in 1st gear at low parking lot speeds but only 58 PSI in 5th at 60mph. The max temp I have seen so far is 178F which it seams to maintain even when the outside temp drops.

3. Oil pressure is higher for colder oil. (Makes sense)

4. The oil pressure does drop to zero during autostop. I have always heard that starting a car caused the most engine wear because of the oil not circulating. The guage I am using has a 1sec update rate and the pressure probably takes 3-4 secs to build to normal (At least 5-8 psi in 1st sec). So will autostop cause more wear on the Engine?

Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
652 Posts
Will,
Thanks for the thorough explaination on autostop. I had thought about the parts still being lubricated but still didn't like the slow pressure rise. I had not considered that while the engine is stoped the parts arn't moving so the oil isn't being shaken off. The guage updates every second and the pressure will go something like 7,15,30,50,70 for driving in 1st gear.
In regards to the gear effecting pressure the only thing I could think of is that the highest RPM ratings can only be reached in the lower gears so having a higher pressure (flow rate) in 3rd might be a good idea. I'll have to get some averaged values for each gear at specific RPM values. I'll post the findings. Have fun, Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts